Gas pipe run help

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

He is trained and works on lpg yes 

Trained, may be, but does he hold his Gas Safe ticket of LPG and Marine? If he is not gas safe registered for both LPG and Marine then any advice he gives must be treated with suspicion and verified in the ISOs related to marine gas work that Alan linked to.

9 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

Someone can be trained and work on LPG on caravans, or cars, or houses etc but he is not allowed to work on boats without a separate qualification (licence endorsement) is needed.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Boy Oh Boy you will have fun working that through in a boat. Then you will have to find the correct compression fittings with copper olives that reduce down to the sizes of the appliances. Bulkhead fitting in 15mm? Not sure.

The plastic coating is completely unnecessary too. Not much plaster or soil in a boat.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe 'nightsoil' (particularly if the are 'composting' on board !

Night Soil 1.png

Night Soil For Sale.jpg

Like a carp on a hook, I knew you would come on with some juvenile lavatory humour, its all too prevalent on here. Quit sniping my posts please.

Its way off topic as well.

12 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

this is the stuff

4E8CC89B-CD78-418A-9B12-A23EB258F414.png

Isn't that what they use for houses that have gas cookers but no mains gas. I use to install gas with 361 stainless at 1500 psi but wouldn't use it in a boat

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Isn't that what they use for houses that have gas cookers but no mains gas. I use to install gas with 361 stainless at 1500 psi but wouldn't use it in a boat

It is similar to what our house is 'wired up' with but ours is quite a bit bigger - 1" at a guess

(LPG tank in the garden, no mains supply)

13 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

That wasn't the question.

Lots of gas bods are trained to work on LPG in houses, mobile homes and "leisure accommodation vehicles" including me, but there is a separate an additional qualification to work on "LPG Boats".

You need to find an installer with the "LPG Boats" ticket which very few hold.

13 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Ok I find out thanks what he has in qualifications and certificates

so may be buy it with out the plastic cheaper as it not cheap as you see in pic I put

there must be 15 mm fitting that Reduce

But you will not know what size to but until you have actaully worked out your pressure drops from the table I posted.

Would you actually go and buy a new tyre for your car without checking what size you needed ?

How does 'your expert' know what you are installing and the appliance input and actual  length/distance from the cylinder ?

Remember to read note 3 about minimising (not maximising) the pipe size.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

You have admitted that you don't know the outputs of the hob and oven yet. You are not in position to work out pipe sizes.  You must not over size substantially as you increase the volume of gas which is  a bad move. !5mm pipe will be a bitch to install. I would bet you need smaller and hence cheaper and better pipes.

Your gas expert does not impress me if he just wants to go as big as possible unnecessarily, instead  of doing the correct calcs.

There is another important factor we don't know. When was the boat built? 

If before 1998 and prior to falling in scope for the RCD, then you can install whatever pipe you like provided it is suitable for gas and doesn't leak. I know someone with an old boat piped up in 15mm domestic rigid copper and it has passed BSS every time for 20 years. BSS bods don't seem to care as long as it doesn't leak. 

If OTOH if it falls under RCD or RCR, you need to do it properly.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

I don’t have a problem sounds like you do 

I was ask to give the item and Tracy d arth was kindly doing it for me 

that’s why I posted it ok with you boss 

You learn things by doing them yourself - you never learn from someone else doing the work for you. OK ?

So we now know the oven an hob have a total heat input of 9.2kW

What's the heat input of the Alde boiler you mentioned? 

Anything else to be attached to the gas line? And like what Tracy asked previously, are all three appliances to be on the same side of the boat or is one on the other side? This is IMPORTANT and needs answering (if you haven't already!)

Blood from a stone.....

Edited by MtB
Spilling.

1 hour ago, Feeby100 said:

The hob and oven one side and boiler at end opposite oven so just 4 ft across 

So how will the gas get from one side of the boat to the other? Pipe across the boat in the kitchen area (not passing through the bilges)? Or separate pipes the length of the boat either side?

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So how will the gas get from one side of the boat to the other? Pipe across the boat in the kitchen area (not passing through the bilges)? Or separate pipes the length of the boat either side?

It could go over the roof by the front bulkhead. I think more detailed info is required, including accurate pipe run lengths.

Edited to add: or across the boat in the angle between the floor and front bulkhead and behind the front steps (assuming a fairly typical layout).

Edited by Tony Brooks

34 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Yes it go across on the bulk head behind unit and step 

Which side of the forward?      gas locker does the pipe exit from?  Or would it be better to come out from both sides of the gas locker?

Which side is the boiler? Which side is the oven/hob?

Distance down the boat from front gas locker bulkhead to boiler?

Distance down the boat from front gas locker bulkhead to oven/hob?

Any mid hull bulkheads in the way on either side?

Edited by Tracy D'arth