Dog box or prisms?

Featured Posts

We have a gloomy galley with just a porthole each side and a central bulls eye in the ceiling . There’s also nowhere really for cooking condensation to escape except a badly placed mushroom. 
So I could replace the bulls eye with a solar vent and fit a roof prism either side. 
Or have a medium size opening roof box made (in steel), lined and with double glazing. 
Can’t decide? Anyone got any thoughts?

Prisms are lovely. I had four in the roof of my last boat and they gave WAY more light inside than the simple hole in the roof I cut to fit them into. And they are a constant point of interest for visitors who notice them. 

On the downside they regularly leak. I never found anything durable enough to stick glass to brass, and stay stuck through years of summer sun and winter rain/frost. Boat never caught fire though, I think it's bulls eyes that do that. The flat surfaces of the prisms never get close to being the shape of a lens. 

I also had two dog boxes made by that nice Mr Kedian from here. Very nice but ask him to put in bigger rainwater channels (under the hinges). Mine were too small and needed constant cleaning or little bits of debris and/or spider webs collecting in them made the rain overflow into the boat, rather than run out of the end.

What's a solar vent?

Edited by MtB

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A fan with in built solar cell.

Oh I see, thanks. 

Odd the OP should be considering one of those, do they never cook in the dark?! 

(Dark outside, I mean!)

2 hours ago, starman said:

We have a gloomy galley with just a porthole each side and a central bulls eye in the ceiling . There’s also nowhere really for cooking condensation to escape except a badly placed mushroom. 
So I could replace the bulls eye with a solar vent and fit a roof prism either side. 
Or have a medium size opening roof box made (in steel), lined and with double glazing. 
Can’t decide? Anyone got any thoughts?

Yep. Don't do any cooking. Go to the pub instead. 😜👍

My solution (at buld time was to -

fit a 4-light dog box in steel hinged on bith sides

Fitted a computer fan in a box underneath a 6" brass mushroom vent.

"The Management" cooks with all gas rings on maximum, but the system keeps the kitchen area habitable...

21 hours ago, MtB said:

Oh I see, thanks. 

Odd the OP should be considering one of those, do they never cook in the dark?! 

(Dark outside, I mean!)

You can get ones with rechargeable batteries (or wear a head torch) 😉