Looking for engineer in Oxfordshire to fix Jabsco marine toilet (urgent)

Featured Posts

Hello, my Jabsco marine toilet has stopped functioning and I'm looking for an engineer in the Oxford area.

None of the buttons on the control panel work (flush, fill, empty etc).

If anyone has the number of an emergency technician who could visit ASAP it would be greatly appreciated!

It has a control panel like this:

https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/jabsco-touch-operated-control-panel-for-deluxe-flush-toilets-jab-58029-1000?cid=16904326747&adgpid=&itemid=&targid=&mt=&loc=1006976&ntwk=x&dev=m&dmod=&adp=&gclid=CjwKCAjwkYGVBhArEiwA4sZLuJaY91jIBUYWGH7G_2LofodHjGaMtvix6g6iuhPMcTuRfmp_XFfEVhoCal8QAvD_BwE

It was the fuse! I panicked and didn't even think of that... Thank you!

I think the fuse may have blown when my water ran out... When the water runs out, the water pump just keeps chugging away if the electricity is on. So it was doing that for a little while the other day before i realised what was going on. Maybe that caused the toilet fuse to blow? Or maybe totally unrelated.

• Happy 1

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If everything electrical on the toilet has stopped working have you checked the relevant fuse(s) ?

You have made Martin very happy. Simple solution but a great result, given it was urgent.

1 hour ago, martintownley said:

Hello, my Jabsco marine toilet has stopped functioning and I'm looking for an engineer in the Oxford area.

None of the buttons on the control panel work (flush, fill, empty etc).

If anyone has the number of an emergency technician who could visit ASAP it would be greatly appreciated!

It has a control panel like this:

https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/jabsco-touch-operated-control-panel-for-deluxe-flush-toilets-jab-58029-1000?cid=16904326747&adgpid=&itemid=&targid=&mt=&loc=1006976&ntwk=x&dev=m&dmod=&adp=&gclid=CjwKCAjwkYGVBhArEiwA4sZLuJaY91jIBUYWGH7G_2LofodHjGaMtvix6g6iuhPMcTuRfmp_XFfEVhoCal8QAvD_BwE

OMG on a boat, things like toilets need to be SIMPLE. 

Get rid of it and buy a Porta-Potti, I suggest. You can figure out how they work just by looking at them. 

thetford-porta-potti-165-27420.jpg

Edited by MtB
Speeling
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, MtB said:

OMG on a boat, things like toilets need to be SIMPLE. 

Get rid of it and buy a Porta-Potti, I suggest. You can figure out how they work just by looking at them. 

thetford-porta-potti-165-27420.jpg

Far too complex. Sliding flap, threaded filler cap, pumpy thing, seals...

For those who like the simple life my suggestion is a stainless bucket from Machine Mart with a B&Q toilet seat on top. Might need a bit of ply fixed beneath to stabilise the seat, but that's my backup toilet. 

2 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Far too complex. Sliding flap, threaded filler cap, pumpy thing, seals...

For those who like the simple life my suggestion is a stainless bucket from Machine Mart with a B&Q toilet seat on top. Might need a bit of ply fixed beneath to stabilise the seat, but that's my backup toilet. 

far too complicated.

learn to poo the Asian way - lift up your skirts, squat and poo.  

Haven't seen a toilet topic for weeks. 🚽

I had to change the pump unit on my Jabsco toilet last week, been putting it off for months. It's the basic manual version and whilst the procedure was straight forward access was a bit difficult. Strange that as when I it installed it years ago it was simple. No longer have to feed the loo a dose of olive oil twice a week, I wonder if caster oil would have been better?

I replaced the Jabsco electric conversation with a manual pump - which is a great improvement  . The electric pump made a noise like a hammer drill. And of course the manual pump consumes no battery power .

The manual Jabsco pump is relatively  easily replaced, (depending on access on the boat in question) , as a complete unit and not a lot more cost than  a service kit .

However  it sounds like the OP has a toilet that is electric only with no means to convert to manual operation .

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I replaced the Jabsco electric conversation with a manual pump - which is a great improvement  . The electric pump made a noise like a hammer drill. And of course the manual pump consumes no battery power .

The manual Jabsco pump is relatively  easily replaced, (depending on access on the boat in question) , as a complete unit and not a lot more cost than  a service kit .

However  it sounds like the OP has a toilet that is electric only with no means to convert to manual operation .

When I originially bought my Jabsco toilet I wobbled over whether to get a manual or electric version, decided upon manual for simplicity. Mines so old that spares were no longer available so a whole pump unit was the only option. Found a supplier on E Bay who was £20 cheaper than Lee San.

I know I'm a bit late to this toilet party but I just can't stop myself!

For the OP - If you phoned around enough plumbers, electricians or what have you, you could probably persuade one of them to come to your boat for an extortionate callout fee and I am of course happy to be corrected BUT I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as an emergency technician who will come out and fix your electric boat toilet, generally speaking most things on boats are FIY - fix it yourself. As you've found out though, forums are a great place to get good advice for nothing. Youtube is also really good for finding out how stuff works and how to fix it.

FWIW my boat had a fancy pants electric fresh water flushing via a macerator into a large holding tank toilet that I disassembled, descaled, cleaned & reassembled twice before throwing the towel in (not literally - never throw a towel of any description into your boat toilet, or any toilet for that matter). I now have a home built separator lavvy* with which literally nothing can go wrong (well apart from the 12v computer fan venting it to the outside), a large tool locker where the holding tank was (current boat is not a NB) and zero toilet-related stress/worry, ever again.

*only fit a separator or composting latrine where you can use it responsibly**, otherwise cassette/portapotti are easy to use and work well enough.

**refer to guidelines for where you boat and use common sense.