I left my Nicholson Guide outside, two inches of rain

LadyG

Featured Posts

Oh dear. My Nicholson's that have been used for boating in the rain have that distressed pirate treasure map look, so that is a plus I reckon.

At the Cape of Good Hope, take 32 paces NNW of the down stream offside ground paddle gear of lock 25 of the Grand Union and start digging.

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

As title, it's saturated.

I've put it in oven, after heating up my pizza.

Oven is off.

Hope it was the edition with the spiral binding

OTOH There are better guides around- go on treat yourself!!

Here: Darn Sarf north west of Brighthemstone we've had a three minute storm, not 'ordinary' rain but as if a very large bucket of water was instantaneously upended (not poured) over my utility room; overflowed the gutters and wetted the chest freezer...

Nasty.

A friend/experienced boater, a few years ago, gave me what I assume to be a document display box. Exact size of an opened Nicholson's, hinged/clipped lid, transparent plastic. Not totally waterproof but pretty resistant with a lip between the halves. Keeps guide dry and open at the selected page.

I think it came from one of they cheap book+stationery shops well worth keeping an eye open for.

1 minute ago, Opener said:

A friend/experienced boater, a few years ago, gave me what I assume to be a document display box. Exact size of an opened Nicholson's, hinged/clipped lid, transparent plastic. Not totally waterproof but pretty resistant with a lip between the halves. Keeps guide dry and open at the selected page.

I think it came from one of they cheap book+stationery shops well worth keeping an eye open for.

Yes, I've heard of map  protectors, and I have loads of polybags, it was just a thing, I heard the rain start up, so I closed the hatch and forgot to check for the book.

I have another, so not the end of the world. Needless to say this was the only one I paid full price !

I'm drying it page by page, so far, one is dry!

12 minutes ago, Opener said:

Crikey - never managed to track down before where mine came from but, despite a poor rating, mine has lasted for years (despite losing one clip) - have a look at Amazon "Transparent Storage Box Clear Plastic Document Paper Filling Case A4 File Box - Black rycnet" 

22 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Hope it was the edition with the spiral binding

OTOH There are better guides around- go on treat yourself!!

Here: Darn Sarf north west of Brighthemstone we've had a three minute storm, not 'ordinary' rain but as if a very large bucket of water was instantaneously upended (not poured) over my utility room; overflowed the gutters and wetted the chest freezer...

Nasty.

Wash your mouth out!

17 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

This would be a disaster for us.... during our travels, my wife notes down armco locations!

Things I scribble on the map:

1.  Armco/rings/bollards.

2.  Deep edge / shallow edge.

3.  Parking.

4.  Mobile signal and speed.

5.  Nice view.

6. Forageable plants.

and all sorts of other things which would be useful if Nicholsons or Pearsons actually included in the first place.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I carried my open map books in a zippy freezer bag - when they blew off the top of the slide into the River, not only did they stay dry but were buoyant as well, just 'go around again' and hoik it out.

I use a strong magnet to keep the bag on the slide ... harder on a GRP hatch I suppose!

I had something similar happen to me on my first canal holiday in 1976, when a strong burst of wind blew  my brand new Nicholson (second edition) off the roof and into the canal. I can recommend drying with an iron, one page at a time, with kitchen roll between the sheets. You won't get the ripples out. 

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I had something similar happen to me on my first canal holiday in 1976, when a strong burst of wind blew  my brand new Nicholson (second edition) off the roof and into the canal. I can recommend drying with an iron, one page at a time, with kitchen roll between the sheets. You won't get the ripples out. 

We lost a map to the Ashby that way, i walked back with the boathook as it was laminated sheets with a keyring through the top corner, arrived on the scene just in time to see it stop floating and sink to the murky depths. After ten minutes flailing with the hook i admitted defeat :( 

You’ll not get the cockling out as it is now expanded, that’s why we used to spend Monday morning at art school “stretching” A1 sheets to use in the afternoon’s life drawing. Basically you laid the paper on a flat board, thoroughly wet it with a sponge, then taped all the edges down with gum strip so it dried stretched and would not cockle further when wet again with paint or ink. Happy days :) 

• Greenie 1

During a domestic emergency clear-up I asked the question "what happens to soaked books?"

The answer was to keep them closed and heavily weighted to keep them flat, and allow to dry very slowly. (think several months rather than days)  But generally not much hope, till you got to museum standard conservation.

Bod.

28 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ive torn off all pages, laid flat till dryish then in to hardback books , looking good.

PS the iron did not heat up, do they need a big inverter?

Another electrical fail?  Are you hexed?

You need a photographic print dryer. Place some pages on the curved plinth, pull over the canvas cover and lock it, plug in and switch on for about 10 minutes, lovely and flat. I f you you don't have a print dryer soak the pages with water again and squeeege them onto the boats windows, should turn out nice and flat and fall off when dry. :closedeyes:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

We lost a map to the Ashby that way, i walked back with the boathook as it was laminated sheets with a keyring through the top corner, arrived on the scene just in time to see it stop floating and sink to the murky depths. After ten minutes flailing with the hook i admitted defeat :( 

You’ll not get the cockling out as it is now expanded, that’s why we used to spend Monday morning at art school “stretching” A1 sheets to use in the afternoon’s life drawing. Basically you laid the paper on a flat board, thoroughly wet it with a sponge, then taped all the edges down with gum strip so it dried stretched and would not cockle further when wet again with paint or ink. Happy days :) 

Art School, taught us some right proper skills 😃

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

As title, it's saturated.

I've put it in oven, after heating up my pizza.

Oven is off.

I find Nicholsons dry out remarkably well - most of mine have been well soaked at some point or another!

7 hours ago, Opener said:

I made one out of a few spare bits of ply with a perspex lid. Someone was making and selling them on Ebay a while back but they'd only fit Pearsons and I like the old spiral Nicholsons, with thirty years of notes and many, many defunct pubs.