Alternative to a widebeam?

Noviceboata

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Noviceboata said:

I guess so, even if i made the minimum salary in London it would only be about 7% per hour of my salary :)

Or when it goes up to £2 a litre (next week ?) it will be 14% of your salary.

(Mine uses 1.04 litres per hour on 'high' and 0.4 litres per hour on 'low' - 'low' doesn't achieve a great deal due to the amount of heat lost thru all the glass, so spends most of the time on 'high')

50 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or when it goes up to £2 a litre (next week ?) it will be 14% of your salary.

(Mine uses 1.04 litres per hour on 'high' and 0.4 litres per hour on 'low' - 'low' doesn't achieve a great deal due to the amount of heat lost thru all the glass, so spends most of the time on 'high')

And don't overlook the way they suck power from the batteries too, so they need diesel to run the enjun to recharge them too.

43 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Is the price set to double next week? 

It went up by a record percentage in the last couple of days, speculation is that''road diesel' will be over £3 a litre by the end of the month, and small volume sellers of Red (marinas, fuel boats etc) prices tend to be higher that 'duty paid  White'.

Maybe not 'next week' but 'soon'.

With London petrol prices being quoted at £2.50 litre others will soon follow.

What prices are currently being paid for 'domestic' Red ?

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

But it's already at £1.85+/litre so the price isn't forecast to double next week. 

Is that what you are paying for domestic. I have just had a price for Heating Oil at home 99p/lt

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Is that what you are paying for domestic. I have just had a price for Heating Oil at home 99p/lt

image.png.8bb7ff0376122f0be6b63c925da84df6.png

34 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.8bb7ff0376122f0be6b63c925da84df6.png

Down from the price spike after the invasion, but still almost 4 times the price it was 2 years ago. UK average domestic heating oil price from BoilerJuice.

1157625248_Screenshot_20220611-132839_SamsungInternet.jpg.2287433d1653549b92823950a438e5d7.jpg

I had a delivery of 1500 litres heating Kero yesterday, most places over £1 +VAT (Watson was 107 + VAT) but shopped around and got it for 95.46 / litre, which when you add on the VAT comes out at 100.23p per litre.

Got a quote from Boiler Juice at 93 ppl for a 7 day delivery, after getting the other quotes (all higher than Boiler Juice) went back to order from Boiler Juice and in the half an hour it had gone up by 5 ppl.

On 5th Jan 2022 I paid 50.61 ppl so it has almost doubled in 5 months

October 2021 = 51.9 ppl

Jan 2016 = 23.74 ppl

Oct 2015 = 31.6

June '05 =34.95 ppl

May '06 = 36.2 ppl

Nov '07 =39.0 ppl

Feb '08 = 40.4 ppl

July '08 = 58.45 ppl

19 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Down from the price spike after the invasion, but still almost 4 times the price it was 2 years ago. UK average domestic heating oil price from BoilerJuice.

1157625248_Screenshot_20220611-132839_SamsungInternet.jpg.2287433d1653549b92823950a438e5d7.jpg

It was over 50p in 2017 and again in 2018

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No2 Son lives up in the HIghlands :

BBC Article today shows Diesel at 221.7 ppl and Petrol at 208.7 ppl

Fuel costs: The drivers living with the UK's highest prices - BBC News

A pub that sells petrol... AMAZING!! 

But I guess its ok, plenty of petrol stations around here sell beer and wine :)))

On 08/06/2022 at 12:52, Noviceboata said:

Already getting a hard time on another forum when I mention the prospect of bringing a broads cruiser widebeam into the London canals. Is there some sort of Heirarchy there or something?

You weren't being given a hard time for that, people were telling you that there's a lack of space in London so a widebeam might not be the best choice. You were, however, being given a hard time for suggesting that CRT should be removing boats that don't look good on the outside, the owners of which you suggest are just lazy for not just giving the boat a fresh coat of paint.

Just do what you want. The only hierarchy is an imaginary one in some people's heads and nobody has any more rights to be on a canal on a particular type of boat just because they were there before you, especially if they also don't have a permanent mooring. Some people get a boat and immediately want to discourage others from doing the same thing because they think the canal is now "full".

No particular group has a monopoly on the waterways, although some think they do. Things change, that's just the way it is. It's simple really; if people don't like the how crowded the canals have become then they can sell up or just get out of the crowded areas and leave it to new people. That's what a lot of land based city dwellers end up doing when they've had enough. I don't really see the difference. The UK has become one of the most densely populated countries in Europe, so of course that's going to spill over to the waterways. 

Edited by blackrose

33 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

You weren't being given a hard time for that, people were telling you that there's a lack of space in London so a widebeam might not be the best choice. You were, however, being given a hard time for suggesting that CRT should be removing boats that don't look good on the outside, the owners of which you suggest are just lazy for not just giving the boat a fresh coat of paint.

Ah. As ever we didnt get the full story.

The usual advice would be to work some more to save up enough to buy something closer to what you actually want/need because doing that invariably costs less than doing one up to bring it up to spec. However that doesn't take into account London property rental costing a fortune (assuming that's what you're currently doing), add that into the mix and it could be the way to go. Of course it depends what your idea of luxury is but that boat is never really going to be most people's idea of it without spending a very disproportionate amount of time and money on it, which you would never get back on resale so factor that in. If I was going to try living aboard in London I really would avoid widebeam but, as others have said, there are options not too far away and I do think you could make it work without spending bonkers money assuming the hull is sound and engine/drivetrain viable...

There is also the possibility of resentment building from other London boaters. Resentment against thick-skinned and selfish boaters bringing enormous widebeams into the crowded and precious London canal space. But maybe you would not care about this, and/or maybe I am wrong! 

30 minutes ago, MtB said:

There is also the possibility of resentment building from other London boaters. Resentment against thick-skinned and selfish boaters bringing enormous widebeams into the crowded and precious London canal space. But maybe you would not care about this, and/or maybe I am wrong! 

Maybe he did not know about it Mike, or maybe he intends to keep it outside the crowded area. We may never know .......