Webasto - Just Wanting Hot Water

JoeC

Featured Posts

Hi.

I have a Webasto Thermo Top EVO that does both hot water and central heating (I have four radiators and two fin rads.) but my question is just about heating water. In the warmer months when just wanting hot water I know that I have to keep a radiator valve open for water circulation purposes but do I actually need to have a rad valve open if I have fin rads as wouldn't the water circulate via those? Hope that makes sense.

Joe

10 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Hi.

I have a Webasto Thermo Top EVO that does both hot water and central heating (I have four radiators and two fin rads.) but my question is just about heating water. In the warmer months when just wanting hot water I know that I have to keep a radiator valve open for water circulation purposes but do I actually need to have a rad valve open if I have fin rads as wouldn't the water circulate via those? Hope that makes sense.

Joe

It depends how they are piped up. Do the fin rads heat with all the radiators tuned off?  If so they must be taking some flow. All you can do is try it for a short time.

Presumably the Webasto is heating water in a calorifier. So why don't you either run the engine for half an hour instead of the Webasto, or if the boat is moored with shore power fit a immersion heater to the calorifier?

Running the Webasto with most of the rads isolated won't do it much good. If the remaining finrads can't dissipate the heat the water will return to the Webasto hot, the Webasto will then cycle down and eventually coke itself up. These boilers need to be run hard. 

19 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It depends how they are piped up. Do the fin rads heat with all the radiators tuned off?  If so they must be taking some flow. All you can do is try it for a short time.

Fin rads heat up when all normal radiators are turned off.

19 hours ago, blackrose said:

Presumably the Webasto is heating water in a calorifier. So why don't you either run the engine for half an hour instead of the Webasto, or if the boat is moored with shore power fit a immersion heater to the calorifier?

Running the Webasto with most of the rads isolated won't do it much good. If the remaining finrads can't dissipate the heat the water will return to the Webasto hot, the Webasto will then cycle down and eventually coke itself up. These boilers need to be run hard. 

OK.