Gardner engine HELP Pls

Butty boat roe

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Butty boat roe said:

I’ve just bought roe! She has a gardener 6cilinder engine! How do I get an alternater on her she revs to low  and someone put one on backwards 

Nice boat, Roe... 

It's a Gardner 4LK I thought, but you would know given its your boat! Mebbe it was changed since I saw it.

Alternators work the same whichever way they spin, so I'm not sure in matters being on backwards.

29 minutes ago, Butty boat roe said:

I’ve just bought roe! She has a gardener 6cilinder engine! How do I get an alternater on her she revs to low  and someone put one on backwards 

So the alternator belt is on the front pulley?  Or on the flywheel?  It matters not which way it runs, the only difference is the cooling fan. Send a picture please.

OP says its 6 cylinder,so,unlikely to be a 4 LK............and....common problem with alternators driven by the generator drive on LWs.........simply cured by driving the alternator from a higher speed takeoff..

ROE had a 4LK in 2017. Mentioned on page 199 of the "historic boats for sale" thread.

It seems fairly improbable that it has been repowered with a 6L? unless the 4LK was scrap. 

Leece Neville large frame alternators are good. 

Edited by magnetman

4 hours ago, john.k said:

OP says its 6 cylinder,so,unlikely to be a 4 LK............

All I am saying is when I was given a tour of the boat a few years ago by the owner at the time, it was a 4LK in there. Defo.

This was seven or eight years ago so plenty of time for it to have been changed for a six cylinder lump.  

Edited by MtB
Spelling