Where is this and who's steering?

Featured Posts

Canal looks like it bends to the left after the canal so can't be top lock at Camden. Is it the bottom lock, Kentish Town or whatever it's called?

Just now, junior said:

Canal looks like it bends to the left after the canal so can't be top lock at Camden. Is it the bottom lock, Kentish Town or whatever it's called?

Edit: also plenty of water about to suggest a short pound above?

Can't offer an opinion on which lock although there are plenty of clues for anyone who knows the Regents Canal better than I do, the bridge just below the lock must narrow it down a bit, along with the buildings on the left although both may well have changed. 

I do recall that the Regents canal had no bywashes so all the locks below Hampstead Road had a habit of overfilling the pound below - this lends credence to it NOT being Hampstead Road Locks. I think this was why BW didn't permit user operation until one of each pair was turned into a weir. I also remember as a child watching boatmen work two unladen lighters down through Hampstead Road Locks, using the  bottom paddles to pull each lighter into the lock and the top paddles to wash them out - then one of lighters floated over the towpath below the lock... 

A couple of interesting details too - looks like there is a chain rather than a handrail over the top gates of the lock the boats are leaving for example

Salmon's Lane Lock. The bridge below the lock was a footbridge and beyond was Salmon Lane road bridge (barely visible), beyond that still, the railway bridge or possibly viaduct carrying the London & Blackwall Railway, which may have a train crossing from right to left (carriages appearing).

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=51.51480&lon=-0.03521&layers=168&b=1

David Mack beat me to it!

Edited by Derek R.

It's a lovely old photo.

Interesting to see the Buckby can. I've seen plenty painted up, but not doing what they were designed to do (I think), that's hold fresh water.

There's an interesting article here about the Buckby Can.

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Definitely not "the" Joe Skinner.  So unless there is another one....

I think this picture was posted on FB, a place where all old boatmen are Joe Skinner, and I guess that's where the "latest thoughts" came from.

I did a then and now on this lock. Picture should be on here somewhere. Salmon lane lock. 

I walk over the bridge below the lock every weekday collecting the children from school. 

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And did Joe Skinner ever get as far as the East End?

He certainly got into London, but late into his retirement, and not that many years from his passing.

Friendship used to be taken all over the place by other people's motor boats, and Joe & Rose were taken to London in round about 1972 (I think) under tow by FMC motor Fox.  I had a lengthy conversation with both as they passed through my home town of Berkhamsted.

I think friendship needed fairly careful handling by this stage - it looked pretty fragile!

I feel I should know who is in the initial picture - they look familiar, but I can't place them at the moment.

14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I did a then and now on this lock. Picture should be on here somewhere. Salmon lane lock. 

I walk over the bridge below the lock every weekday collecting the children from school. 

The "then" images are still there but not the "now".

5 minutes ago, spud said:

been on here before

Thanks for that. I had a feeling it might be Tom Lapworth because I was aware of the series of pictures of the Lapworth family from my own family research.

Reading that thread it seems I already knew this.

15 minutes ago, spud said:

been on here before

Obviously the comments apply to various pictures in a whole sequence, but for the picture at the had of this thread the butty in question is a wooden one, so can't be the Barnes.

28 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

He certainly got into London, but late into his retirement, and not that many years from his passing.

Friendship used to be taken all over the place by other people's motor boats, and Joe & Rose were taken to London in round about 1972 (I think) under tow by FMC motor Fox.  I had a lengthy conversation with both as they passed through my home town of Berkhamsted.

I think friendship needed fairly careful handling by this stage - it looked pretty fragile!

I feel I should know who is in the initial picture - they look familiar, but I can't place them at the moment.

The same FOX that was owned by Derek Turner of Wheaton Aston and if so did he still own it in 1972?

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

Thanks for that. I had a feeling it might be Tom Lapworth because I was aware of the series of pictures of the Lapworth family from my own family research.

Reading that thread it seems I already knew this.

Nope, it is william kendall on thaxted towing fulwell

• Greenie 1

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

The same FOX that was owned by Derek Turner of Wheaton Aston and if so did he still own it in 1972?

I'm on board so have no access to my home book collection.  But I think when towing friendhip the name of Fox's owner was probably John Pyper (or Piper ??).

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm on board so have no access to my home book collection.  But I think when towing friendhip the name of Fox's owner was probably John Pyper (or Piper ??).

Ta. I'm not convinced it's the same boat anyway and if it is I think it was probably sold by Mr Turner in the late 1960s, hence the question. I happened to be talking to Mr Fasham of Ferrous about it a couple of days ago.

ETA - my suspicions confirmed.

Edited by Captain Pegg

20 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

No. The turners boat was the ex-Seddons motor I believe, now no longer with us - although bits do survive on another boat.....