Outside of roof collar leaking - black silicone recommendation

Featured Posts

My stove's roof collar on the outside of the boat is letting in some water when there is heavy rain. The join is a bit tatty and rusty. After clearing and treating the rust, the plan is to run a bead of silicone then paint with Hammerite or similar. Don't know if I can use any old silicone or do I have to use something special, so wondered if anyone could recommend a brand of black silicone sealant for this purpose.

Thanks

Envirograf. Although you don't really need 1200C high temp sealant at the top of the flue it might come in handy if you need to seal the flue at the bottom where it meets the stove. In that case you would need a high temp sealant. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254557336745?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dr3YWK4xSDq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=SV_sF0T7SiS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There are other cheaper high temp sealants like plumbaflue (330C) that are now available in black which would be fine for the top of the flue, but not anywhere near the stove for long term heat exposure. 

Edited by blackrose

The door glass on my Squirrel lasted for about 5 years after I glued it in with Red Oxide  coloured  Plumbaflue.  Then I broke it.  The sealant seemed OK when I replaced the glass, though did put flat fire rope in this time.

The current flue to stove back joint, also in red oxide Plumba flue is doing fine 

N

21 hours ago, blackrose said:

Envirograf. Although you don't really need 1200C high temp sealant at the top of the flue it might come in handy if you need to seal the flue at the bottom where it meets the stove. In that case you would need a high temp sealant. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254557336745?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dr3YWK4xSDq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=SV_sF0T7SiS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There are other cheaper high temp sealants like plumbaflue (330C) that are now available in black which would be fine for the top of the flue, but not anywhere near the stove for long term heat exposure. 

If its between the collar and the roof it shouldn't get hot

Given the time of year you would be well advised to remove the collar, plinth (if any) and treat the rust properly before reinstating everything. The rust under the existing setup has had a long time to develop and the roof will only be 4mm max.