Fitting a Mikuni MX50

Theo

Featured Posts

I am replacing my MX40 with an MX50.  I have the plumbing for the water side all connected up.  (Don't be fooled by the blandishments of the sales people. It's not a drop in replacement for the MX40. It does fit on the same backplate but pretty well everything else is different:  water inlet outlet sizes and positions are different.  Exhaust position is different.  Electrical connections have one plug which has no mate and the installation guide is no help.)

My current problem, ignoring the electrical one for the time being, is getting a leak free fuel connection.  I have, as far as I can ascertain with a metric/imperial vernier, a 3/16" copper pipe from the fuel tank.  The internet tells me in numerous places that 3/16" is equivalent to 5mm reninforced rubber.  I find that 5mm is very slightly bigger.  I tested it by clamping it over the plain end of the copper.  It leaked.

Question: compressing an olive on to the end of the copper makes a tight fit but will this be safe?

Thanks in advance for the continiung help that I have had with no end of questions ove the past 16 years.

Nick

5mm is over half a millimetre larger than 3/16".  If you crimp an olive onto the pipe, then lose the nut and fitting you used to crimp it, the rubber pipe will be a good fit.

But its no good using a worm drive hose clip this small, they distort the hose leading to leaks. Get a proper double eared clench ring crimp it on with a pair of carpenters pincers.

QWORK Carpenters' Pincers, End Cutting Pliers, 10" / 250mm61M6bpxwriL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Why replace an obsolete Mikuni with another.

Spares are difficult (some impossible) to obtain. I would replace it with a Webasto or Eberspacher for which spares are still.available.

Sounds like it might be a bit late for that. 

6 hours ago, blackrose said:

Sounds like it might be a bit late for that. 

Yes indeed!  I was beguiled by the like for like replacement promise.  I know that the MX40 had a bad name bu our served us well for many years.

N

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

5mm is over half a millimetre larger than 3/16".  If you crimp an olive onto the pipe, then lose the nut and fitting you used to crimp it, the rubber pipe will be a good fit.

But its no good using a worm drive hose clip this small, they distort the hose leading to leaks. Get a proper double eared clench ring crimp it on with a pair of carpenters pincers.

QWORK Carpenters' Pincers, End Cutting Pliers, 10" / 250mm61M6bpxwriL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

That sounds good advice.  Thanks Tracy.

N

3 minutes ago, Theo said:

Is there another name for a double eared clench ring?  Ebay hasn' heard of such a thing.

N

Gorrit.  There are other alternatives to Ebay.

Just one last question:  the od of the rubber tube is 11.5mm will the 10-12mm clamp be right.  Here is a link to the one that I am looking at.

N

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - to do it properly, (but like many things you can bodge it with whatever you have in your tool box)

I'm obliged m'lud

Those clips are a lotless expensive that the screw types....

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

I'm obliged m'lud

Those clips are a lotless expensive that the screw types....

Before using them, remember that they are not removable / reusable and if you need to remove the hose you will have to cut the hose (along with the clip) so need to ensure you have some spare 'length' of hose to be able to reconnect it.

If you are really lucky and can get access for a GOOD pair of cutters you can sometimes cut off the ears without 'nicking' the hose.