Hull blacking

Featured Posts

I had my canal boat blacked around 12 months ago, but the majority of the paint above the water line has now turned grey. Does anyone know what has caused this and could I just put another coat of black over the top?.

4 minutes ago, Pete-T said:

I had my canal boat blacked around 12 months ago, but the majority of the paint above the water line has now turned grey. Does anyone know what has caused this and could I just put another coat of black over the top?.

Do you mean 'above' the waterline, or on, and slightly above, (allowing for rocking) the waterline ?

If the latter it has probably as a result of diesel in the water (particularly bad in marinas, or where lots of boats are moored up and refuel from cans) as the diesel dissolves the blacking. It can happen in a matter of weeks in 'bad areas'.

Whereabouts in the world are you ?

When you say blacking, what sort of paint was actually used? Blacking is a general term used for painting the hull but you need to be more specific. 

The reason I ask is that I painted my boat with black epoxy which turned grey after a few months. It's called chalking and it's a normal reaction to UV exposure. Personally I don't care that it's not black. 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1