L&L Springs Branch

David Mack

Featured Posts

The latest Boaters' Update from CRT includes a link to the Springs Branch, under the heading of "Maintenance, repair and restoration work this weekend". But if you follow the link you get a stoppage notice last updated 12 August 2020, which merely advises that "This section of navigation remains closed and we are continuing to liaise with relevant parties to work towards a resolution."

Since they have apparently been liaising with relevant parties since the rockfall in 2016, one has to wonder what is actually happening and when we are going to see work on the ground to reopen the branch which has now been closed for over 6 years.

Meanwhile, what, if anything, is happening there this weekend to warrant inclusion in the Boaters' Update?

L1108_20050430_0006.JPG.018417529820a670891c9402ac9d4303.JPG

On 30Apr 2005

under Skipton Castle, Springs Branch L&L.

It was closed by the rockfall as part of the Boxing Day floods in 2015, ending for the time being the opportunity for those new to canals to see this delightful waterway from the tripboats from Skipton Junction, maybe as their first view of a canal from a boat.

All manner of excuses from C&RT about lawyers discussing who was responsible for clearing the canal, including its status as a Remainder Waterway. "But it wasn't blocked by a rockfall on the implementation date of the Act ... "

Anyway vegetation at the blockage on 10Jul2021 ...

L3999_20210710_DSCN7834

On 02/05/2020 at 17:29, TheBiscuits said:

4th July 2017 ... bow of Good Times

SpringsBlocked.jpg

Edited by PeterScott
  • Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

All manner of excuses from C&RT about lawyers discussing who was responsible for clearing the canal, including its status as a Remainder Waterway. "But it wasn't blocked by a rockfall on the implementation date of the Act ... "

So how long do the fruitless negotiations have to go on for before CRT take legal action against Sebastian Fattorini, Lord of the Honour of Skipton Castle, to force him to remove his fallen rocks from their canal?

Or is it a case that, since this is a remainder waterway and doesn't go far beyond the rockfall anyway, their plan is to ignore the whole issue until people have forgotten it used to be navigable?

58 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So how long do the fruitless negotiations have to go on for before CRT take legal action against Sebastian Fattorini, Lord of the Honour of Skipton Castle, to force him to remove his fallen rocks from their canal?

Or is it a case that, since this is a remainder waterway and doesn't go far beyond the rockfall anyway, their plan is to ignore the whole issue until people have forgotten it used to be navigable?

I suspect that's the plan, as there is currently a stoppage notice saying essentially "don't go past the moored boats" which is what I did to get that photo quoted above.  Yes, I had to reverse out but that wasn't a great surprise!

The waterway movement has become too soft, too sympathetic to CRT's position. What's needed is an organisation that holds CRT's feet to the fire (and any other navigation authority come to that). We should create one, it could be called something like the "Inland Waterways Association"... 

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

Similar to them allowing the Wednesbury Old canal  on the BCN to become overgrown with reeds, then advising boats it's un-navigable and not to even attempt it😥

5 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

Similar to them allowing the Wednesbury Old canal  on the BCN to become overgrown with reeds, then advising boats it's un-navigable and not to even attempt it😥

I've been up there in 2009. Honestly you are not missing anything 

It had numerous brick reefs, trolleys, unpleasant silt and ends up next to a roundabout.

Richard 

12 hours ago, RLWP said:

I sense the return of the militant IWA

Richard 

Much as I would love to see it, not a snowball's chance in a bonfire.    BW bought the IWA lock stock and barrel by subsidising their festivals.

Since then Aickman's Holy Grail of a single waterway authority has been dangled in front of them, so they certainly wont rock either CRT or the EA boats.

The IWA internal structure is also carefully designed to ensure that militancy is fenced off in  the lower reaches and cannot  rise to any of the committees with actual ability to change things.

N

9 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Much as I would love to see it, not a snowball's chance in a bonfire.    BW bought the IWA lock stock and barrel by subsidising their festivals.

Since then Aickman's Holy Grail of a single waterway authority has been dangled in front of them, so they certainly wont rock either CRT or the EA boats.

The IWA internal structure is also carefully designed to ensure that militancy is fenced off in  the lower reaches and cannot  rise to any of the committees with actual ability to change things.

N

I think you need to take a good look at all these canal support organizations. All of those campaigning groups were lead by young, enthusiastic individuals who wanted to save the canals. And now they are all getting on in years

There are no young, vibrant canal organisations I can think of to be militant

Unless you are volunteering, of course

Richard