River Avon licence

jacko264

Featured Posts

Hi all  is the only place to get a 7 day license  for the Avon from Tewksbury lock  or the internet 

can you get them from  Stratford as we are going to do the Avon ring  clockwise in two weeks time

Graham

I don’t think so it is basically online now, or I presume the info boat which is now in Tewkesbury not Stratford.  It is simple to do online, and instantaneous, so do it when you are about to leave Bancroft basin for the river.

There used to be a CRT boat moored in the Stratford basin which I believe issued CRT licenses for boats coming off the river, but I don't know if it also issued ANT licenses. I assume it's still there. If not I would just go onto the river at Stratford as I think there might be a couple manning Pershore lock who can sell you a license. My info is nearly 10 years old I'm afraid since I lived on the Avon, so it might be wrong or out of date. 

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

There used to be a CRT boat moored in the Stratford basin which I believe issued CRT licenses for boats coming off the river, but I don't know if it also issued ANT licenses. I assume it's still there. If not I would just go onto the river at Stratford as I think there might be a couple manning Pershore lock who can sell you a license. My info is nearly 10 years old I'm afraid since I lived on the Avon, so it might be wrong or out of date. 

It did use to issue ANT licences, but the boat is now based in Tewkesbury.  It think you mean Evesham lock, they check your licence on your phone but I don’t think they sell them.  With COVID, ANT switched to paying for visitor licences and moorings to online, it’s all on their web site.

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t think so it is basically online now, or I presume the info boat which is now in Tewkesbury not Stratford.  It is simple to do online, and instantaneous, so do it when you are about to leave Bancroft basin for the river.

The alternative to Tewkesbury or online given on the ANT website is a call to 0300 111 2010. https://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/licences-short-term/

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It did use to issue ANT licences, but the boat is now based in Tewkesbury.  It think you mean Evesham lock, they check your licence on your phone but I don’t think they sell them.  With COVID, ANT switched to paying for visitor licences and moorings to online, it’s all on their web site.

No I didn't mean Evesham lock. There used to be a couple at Pershore lock or one of the locks nearby who issued licences. That may have changed now. 

We came off the Avon last Saturday.

Avon licenses are purchased online or over the phone. There is neither ANT nor CRT information points in Bancroft Basin.

The ANT information boat, now at Tewkesbury, can sell you trinkets but is not authorised to take mooring fees, which also have to purchased online.

29 minutes ago, Col_T said:

We came off the Avon last Saturday.

Avon licenses are purchased online or over the phone. There is neither ANT nor CRT information points in Bancroft Basin.

The ANT information boat, now at Tewkesbury, can sell you trinkets but is not authorised to take mooring fees, which also have to purchased online.

That’s great info thankyou  .

did you go on the seven if so how is it behaving  we will be on it in about  three weeks 

Graham

We went up the Avon, from Tewkesbury to Worcester - a bit over 5 hours of not very exciting. Not hugely fond of rivers, to be honest, there never seems to be enough mooring!

As to how it was behaving, that’s hard for me to comment, as it’s the first time I’ve been on the Severn, but it didn’t seem too bad. Certainly, the Kennet has been much more difficult than the Severn was. That said, if you’re not on it for another three weeks, how it was for me will be pretty irrelevant. It’s all down to the weather and rain-fall between now and then.

Hope this helps.

@jacko264 - on the subject of river moorings, I should mention that the Avon has a pretty good system whereby over-night moorings are indicated by mooring bollards / poles painted blue. There are few at out of the way locations; most, as you would expect, in towns or at locks.

Another point is that the Avon Navigation Trust have a booklet which documents the journey from Tewkesbury upto Stratford in pretty good detail, though much less useful if you are going t’other way! It may be available from the Trust info boat, just above the lock at Tewkesbury, it is definitely available by post.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Col_T said:

We went up the Avon, from Tewkesbury to Worcester - a bit over 5 hours of not very exciting. Not hugely fond of rivers, to be honest, there never seems to be enough mooring!

Totally agree. Rivers, the Avon especially are plain dull and boring to cruise. Just one reach after another, most of them the same. Best avoided. 

Best to tick to canals which are far more interesting. I'm still not sure why this is. Perhaps because one can stop and moor almost anywhere, even if one doesn't! 

56 minutes ago, MtB said:

Totally agree. Rivers, the Avon especially are plain dull and boring to cruise. Just one reach after another, most of them the same. Best avoided. 

Best to tick to canals which are far more interesting. I'm still not sure why this is. Perhaps because one can stop and moor almost anywhere, even if one doesn't! 

I would say that the Avon has to be one of the most interesting and pleasant  rivers to cruise.  For a river the Avon is well provided with overnight moorings, particularly on the upper Avon.

The Severn can be a bit boring for sure though as you can not see much with the hIgh banks, and there is certainly a lack of moorings, but it’s always nice to give the boat engine a bit of a workout.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I would say that the Avon has to be one of the most interesting and pleasant  rivers to cruise.

Maybe they redesigned and improved it since I cruised some of it three or four years ago then!

The Thames is much nicer and more interesting than the Avon but still not a patch on most canals, IMHO. 

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are you talking about the Warwickshire Avon or the Bristol Avon?

Good question. Bristol Avon. 

No hang on, Warwickshire Avon.

The one at the end of the Stratford canal! 

Just now, MtB said:

Good question. Bristol Avon. 

I thought that might be the case. The Warwickshire Avon is lovely. 

The River Severn as John says above gives you a good view of flood control embankments for mile after tedious mile.  When it's full enough to see over the banks you'd not want to be navigating it!

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

No hang on, Warwickshire Avon.

The one at the end of the Stratford canal! 

Ah, you added a bit while I was typing.

Each to their own I suppose, I really like the Avon and the Weaver, probably more than many canals.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I couldn't disagree more. I much prefer cruising on rivers. Any idiot can take a boat out on a canal but you need to know what you're doing on many rivers depending on conditions. Rivers are more dynamic than stagnant canals and you see much more wildlife. You also see fewer but a greater variety of boats. 

Still each to their own, we all like different things. 

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought that might be the case. The Warwickshire Avon is lovely. 

Agreed. I lived on the Warks Avon for a few years. Anyone who thinks it's dull and boring either hasn't actually cruised it, is still confusing it with the Bristol Avon, or is just odd! Or all three! 🤣 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I couldn't disagree more. I much prefer cruising on rivers. Any idiot can take a boat out on a canal but you need to know what you're doing on many rivers depending on conditions. Rivers are more dynamic than stagnant canals and you see much more wildlife. You also see fewer but a greater variety of boats. 

Still each to their own, we all like different things. 

Maybe I'm just bored with rivers having spent 35 years cruising the Thames before migrating to canals. 

On 04/06/2022 at 18:11, jacko264 said:

did you go on the seven if so how is it behaving  we will be on it in about  three weeks 

Graham

We've had hardly any rain up here at the first town on the Severn, and the same applies to the main other feeder, so unless we get a few monsoons over the next 3 weeks I wouldn't worry about it.

We did the Avon a few weeks ago... its a lovely river and goes through some gorgeous towns!  only trip up for me was i got the Evesham landing wrong by the lock (going down) and made a mess of things.... ensure you do what's against your natural way of thinking here and head for the weir to moor up on the lock landings as there is a current pulling you away from them (and the weir - oddly!)..... :) 

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, robtheplod said:

there is a current pulling you away from them (and the weir - oddly!)

Not that odd, there's a hydroelectric power station straight ahead as you approach Evesham Lock heading downstream.

It's clearly marked with a strong flow warning in the navigation guide.