TV not working

Featured Posts

We have always needed to tune in our LG Smart TV periodically, as we’re constantly cruising. For several weeks we haven’t been able to tune in our TV at all and it doesn’t seem to be because of being in an area of insufficient transmitters. The TV has the latest software so we can watch catch-up tv which swallows GBs of data, but not live terrestrial channels. We have a Milenco Power 900L(low height) aerial, and we’ve checked for loose/disconnected cables.

Any suggestions?

Strewth, I use my boat to escape TV!

I have a radio to listen to amusing snippets on Radio 4.

I find the view outside my boat much more interesting than moving wallpaper on the inside.

Try checking your settings, someone may have sat on the remote and deselected an input option.

• Happy 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, James Dunleavy said:

We have always needed to tune in our LG Smart TV periodically, as we’re constantly cruising. For several weeks we haven’t been able to tune in our TV at all and it doesn’t seem to be because of being in an area of insufficient transmitters. The TV has the latest software so we can watch catch-up tv which swallows GBs of data, but not live terrestrial channels. We have a Milenco Power 900L(low height) aerial, and we’ve checked for loose/disconnected cables.

Any suggestions?

What happens when you do a new search?

Does it go through the routine and just not find any channels?

Or does it not even attempt that.

Usually you will get a 'No signal detected' or similar message on a  Freeview TV if the aerial is 'off line' Our Hitachi in the 'van shows 'No service running' if I forget to plug the aerial in for example. and then won't even attempt a search.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Usually an auto re-tune works like this. The first half downloads the channels and the second half installs them. During the downloading you should see on the screen random quick flashes which means channels have been found and downloaded.

Just now, bizzard said:

Usually an auto re-tune works like this. The first half downloads the channels and the second half installs them. During the downloading you should see on the screen random quick flashes which means channels have been found and downloaded.

Ours actually displays the channels it has found by name in a list format on the screen.

26 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Strewth, I use my boat to escape TV!

I have a radio to listen to amusing snippets on Radio 4.

I find the view outside my boat much more interesting than moving wallpaper on the inside.

Strewth! I use my boat to escape Radio!

Most loss of signals I have found is due to water in the connections at the aerial or water inside the coax cable. If the cable gets wet it needs replacing.

I always tape the ends outside with self amalgamating tape.

scrap freeview and go fo freesat and a dish.

You need to get a clear view of the satellites (no trees / buildings in the way) - but the're always in the same posiion in the sky.

You'll need a compass on your phone and a signal strength meter.

Easy once you'worked out how to do it  -but a pain until you do.

I gues most folks can't be bothered...

15 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

You need to get a clear view of the satellites (no trees / buildings in the way) - but the're always in the same posiion in the sky.

I carry a portable satellite dish setup as a backup in case I can't get a freeview signal. However as you need a completely clear line of sight to the satellite, I find that when I can't get a TV signal on freeview, most of the time I can't get a signal via satellite either! I now use TV via the internet as a backup, which nearly always works and requires much less equipment and setting up. 

15 hours ago, booke23 said:

I carry a portable satellite dish setup as a backup in case I can't get a freeview signal. However as you need a completely clear line of sight to the satellite, I find that when I can't get a TV signal on freeview, most of the time I can't get a signal via satellite either! I now use TV via the internet as a backup, which nearly always works and requires much less equipment and setting up. 

Perhaps it's because to geot to where we want toc cruise, we have to traverse a lot of waters that we already know, thus overnight mooring are governed more by "can we get a picture" than 'is this a good mooring'  !!

15 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Also try an installation scan rather than an update scan if you TV will do it.

Yes. We do this too if we have moved and need to re tune. It takes a bit longer but seems to work much better as it clears everything out the memory and starts afresh.

On 03/06/2022 at 18:33, OldGoat said:

I'd suggest going further and scrap freeview and satellite and sort an internet connection, that way no re-tuning, no finding satellites or transmitters, no tall poles, no PVR required, no hunting for clear lines of sight.... all catchup (as you're not sitting down to watch a set TV schedule since you're boating!). Plus you can, if you wish not have a TV licence if you ignore live TV & iPlayer - this will more than pay for any kit you need to do this. Win win?

Edited by robtheplod

On 04/06/2022 at 10:15, OldGoat said:

Perhaps it's because to geot to where we want toc cruise, we have to traverse a lot of waters that we already know, thus overnight mooring are governed more by "can we get a picture" than 'is this a good mooring'  !!

You forgot 'which direction is the sun for my solar panels.?'

Me, I've got a tv/dvd for rainy days, a good battery bank backed up with a cocooned built in generator and a large library of books both Kindle and physical. Did have a terrestrial aerial and a dish at different times but neither ever used.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

I'd suggest going further and scrap freeview and satellite and sort an internet connection, that way no re-tuning, no finding satellites or transmitters, no tall poles, no PVR required, no hunting for clear lines of sight.... all catchup (as you're not sitting down to watch a set TV schedule since you're boating!). Plus you can, if you wish not have a TV licence if you ignore live TV & iPlayer - this will more than pay for any kit you need to do this. Win win?

Depends on your current setup. Fine if you already have a high data internet plan, if you don't by the time you to pay for it, you'll completely wipe out any TV license savings. 

Also, although you can watch channels 1-5 online quite satisfactorily, I don't think you can replicate the full freeview/freesat channel list online.

Internet is fine if you moor in urban areas or near a major road or railway line - but not a lot of use if you're out in the sticks - as in some parts of the Oxford or the upper - upper Thames.

On 03/06/2022 at 18:08, Tracy D'arth said:

Most loss of signals I have found is due to water in the connections at the aerial or water inside the coax cable. If the cable gets wet it needs replacing.

I always tape the ends outside with self amalgamating tape.

I've fitted these.  They have a rubber ring to prevent moisture entering the cable.  They seem to work well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KC5S96Q/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_dp_1

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

The problem I have with streaming TV is that the commercial channels force you to watch the adverts and trailers. I have a PVR and record freeview stuff I'm interested in onto that. So I watch what I want when I want and I can wizz through the adverts.

• Happy 1