blink camera

dreadnought

Featured Posts

Just in case anyone is thinking of getting security cameras at the moment, I thought it might be worth posting this.

It seems that for the next 3 days, Amazon are selling two blink cameras for £77, which is a big discount.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088CX996D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

On 03/06/2022 at 22:00, LadyG said:

I'd like some battery operated magnetic lights that come on when scrotes are about.

I bought two from Wilko for £5.99 each and they're excellent.... 

Solar power...and movement detection.

On 11/06/2022 at 11:28, Jim Batty said:

I can see the use of these cameras if you're inside and want to look outside -- if you hear something unusual or threatening. I prefer the periscope idea if you want to look outside out of simple curiosity or are sort of in a lazy mood and don't want to put your shoes and jacket on to go outside, or because it's bucketing down, or don't want to disturb the kingfisher on your roof. 

But do people install these to record burglars/intruders when they aren't at their boat? Isn't someone intent on breaking your windows or taking a steel pole or angle grinder to your locks probably going to pull the brim of their hat down and chuck a cloth or bag over your cameras before proceeding? Or just steal the cameras into the bargain?

My complete CCTV system was stolen and all I had was a nice photo of a hooded scrote holding up two fingers....sent to my phone.

The CCTV system was the most valuable thing on the boat !!

• Haha 2

In another lifetime I had a job installing various security systems -- in doctors' and dentists' offices, modern apartment buildings, factories and well-heeled homes. 

We installed a series of CCTV cameras in the low-ceilinged car park of a tall apartment block. By necessity they were mounted on 90-degree brackets about 7-feet up. The thing I remember most about that job was the fact that it took about half an hour to drill each bracket mounting hole in the reinforced concrete walls. The second thing that comes to mind is that every camera was stolen within a week!

A retired cop advised me that if you want to help solve a burglary, place the cameras inside and well hidden.

If you can offer the police some film showing the items and surfaces that the burglars touched, they might consider sending a SOCO person over to check for fingerprints. 

But lets be realistic, the police are not going to be any help with a burglary unless the financial stakes involved are high, or the incident is high profile in some way.

Solving small scale crime is just not their job any more.

For me the cameras are a convenient way to have a look at what's going on outside, if you hear an odd noise or a commotion. 

Sometimes taking a quick look can put your mind at rest without having to risk climbing out onto the stern, and possibly getting into an escalating discussion with people that you would rather not get into a discussion with.

On 11/07/2022 at 17:28, Tony1 said:

A retired cop advised me that if you want to help solve a burglary, place the cameras inside and well hidden.

If you can offer the police some film showing the items and surfaces that the burglars touched, they might consider sending a SOCO person over to check for fingerprints. 

But lets be realistic, the police are not going to be any help with a burglary unless the financial stakes involved are high, or the incident is high profile in some way.

Solving small scale crime is just not their job any more.

For me the cameras are a convenient way to have a look at what's going on outside, if you hear an odd noise or a commotion. 

Sometimes taking a quick look can put your mind at rest without having to risk climbing out onto the stern, and possibly getting into an escalating discussion with people that you would rather not get into a discussion with.

I have considered buying a big water pistol thing, or a salt gun, which would scare most people.

Thirty years ago I had a burglary, there were fingerprints showing on the windows, which were never cleaned. No one suggested fingerprints. But our goods were recovered when they raided the scum on another matter.

Edited by LadyG

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have considered buying a big water pistol thing, or a salt gun, which would scare most people.

Thirty years ago I had a burglary, there were fingerprints showing on the windows, which were never cleaned. No one suggested fingerprints. But our goods were recovered when they raided the scum on another matter.

They did send an officer over to try and get fingerprints from the door, after an attempted burglary at my house almost 20 years ago, but that's not going to happen these days - there are nowhere near enough officers, and in fairness maybe chasing local scumbags isnt an efficient use of their time. 

If you think a water pistol or salt gun might deter a burglar, I can only suggest that your understanding of these people's mindset is significantly wide of the mark. 

I actually have one of the Bug-A-Salt guns, and a large water pistol, and neither of these objects are in the least bit frightening.

Even in poor light, there is no mistaking them for anything other than plastic toys. 

As a deterrent, and for when I am near urban areas, I've fitted a fake siren to one of the doors (from a well known alarm manufacturer), plus a real siren to each door, and one siren inside. I have alarm contacts on the doors and windows, and in the saloon I have a PIR. 

I even have a PIR covering one of the door sirens, in case someone tries to smash it.

I reckon a very, very loud alarm siren, plus you filming the scumbags, is a much better deterrent than a salt gun. 

If you want something cheap, you can get one of these super loud bike sirens, put it on the roof , and lead the wire through a mushroom vent so you can trigger it from inside in case of a threat. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornit-dB140-V2-Worlds-Loudest/dp/B006TDEV20

There are also a variety of more professional/dedicated 'panic button' style alarms that are designed to make a lot of noise and will trigger remotely.

I think the thing to do is to put the siren on the roof somewhere, so that its sound will not be muffled by coming from inside the boat. 

There are also a range of very loud personal alarm/attack sirens that you could buy, those will put off a potential mugger much more than a salt gun.