Battery Operated Pressure Washer at 24 bar?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

I dont really want a 240v pressure washer on the boat, and am not motivated to bring the one we have at home, so I've been considering one of the rechargeable battery operated washers, with syphon kit, (6m), to use canal water.

However, on closer inspection, they only seem to be 20-24 bar as against 100-120 bar for the home 240v version.

Does anyone have any experience of these things, and are they powerful enough to do some boat jobs, as against getting caked on grime off a patio or similar.

Something like this?:

https://uk.ryobitools.eu/garden-tools/outdoor-cleaning/pressure-washers/ry18pw22a/ry18pw22a-3/?gclid=CjwKCAjwv-GUBhAzEiwASUMm4iZ_qUJ29QMZe1OymF2BAHVqmqAgbCORkOe_w_eGf3EKP5BiqnPiYxoCZBUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Funnily I happened to come across a Youtube video of someone using one the other day. The model he had was 22 bar and it looks underwhelming compared to a mains model IMO. It looks similar to the power you'd get by sticking your thumb over the end of a garden hose.    

• Greenie 1

We've got an aldi battery one, and it's not got great pressure, but better than a hose.

We use ours for boat washing and other general outdoor cleaning which it works quite well at, although very slow on cleaning wood. It's surprisingly very effective at cleaning the nonslip paint on the gunnels though, so much so it now looks almost new, when I thought it was so bad it needed a repaint! At the price I paid, it was worth it for that alone, nothing else seemed to work at all on the nonslip. 

Nothing like using a mains one, but if it's cheap enough, a worthwhile tool for use around the boat. Just be aware that the battery doesn't last long (at least on the aldi one, but luckily it's the same battery as the Bauker drills and other cordless tools I've got).

• Greenie 1

I just scrub my anti slip gunwales with a brush, ex washing up brushes,  ditto roof, boat has been painted, so had to wash it first, no more needed this year. I've got more than enough clutter without adding a jet washer.

Edited by LadyG

We have a Workx one because we don't have 240v on our mooring. Of course it is a lot less powerful than mains, but it has really helped us to clear goose crap and old much from our boat. We didn't want to use water from the marina as it would have contained algae so we used large water containers for clean water instead. Definitley better than a hose, especially when the water pressure is not brilliant.

Just now, Steve Buxton said:

We have a Workx one because we don't have 240v on our mooring. Of course it is a lot less powerful than mains, but it has really helped us to clear goose crap and old much from our boat. We didn't want to use water from the marina as it would have contained algae so we used large water containers for clean water instead. Definitley better than a hose, especially when the water pressure is not brilliant.

"muck"

On 02/06/2022 at 13:38, Richard10002 said:

I dont really want a 240v pressure washer on the boat, and am not motivated to bring the one we have at home, so I've been considering one of the rechargeable battery operated washers, with syphon kit, (6m), to use canal water.

What's the advantage of a battery operated appliance over a mains appliance exactly apart from not having a mains cord?

When you've used it once and the battery is flat you'll need to charge it using the mains anyway won't you? Unless you're just planning to use it once before going home perhaps? 

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

What's the advantage of a battery operated appliance over a mains appliance exactly apart from not having a mains cord?

When you've used it once and the battery is flat you'll need to charge it using the mains anyway won't you? Unless you're just planning to use it once before going home perhaps? 

The main advantages are size and no cable, (less clutter and freedom of movement :) ).

I'll be charging the battery on the boat, using the inverter.

Looks like Ryobi now do a 40+ bar one, although finding one in the UK isnt so easy right now.

Edited by Richard10002

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

The main advantages are size and no cable, (less clutter and freedom of movement :) ).

Surely the main advantage is it can be used in the absence of a 230Vac mains supply!

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Surely the main advantage is it can be used in the absence of a 230Vac mains supply!

I should have said "main advantages to me"

I have a 230v supply on the boat, which i use for lawn mower, strimmer, vacuum cleaner etc.. 😀 😄 

After seeing the performance (or rather lack of performance) of the cordless pressure washer in the video, I decided to stick to my KISS principle (keep it simple, stupid) and continue to use a bucket of soapy water with a soft brush to wash the boat. There's nothing I haven't been able to remove.......any stubborn bird poo that doesn't come off initially, does so when you come back to it after 10 minutes of soapy water soaking into it.   

• Greenie 3

24 minutes ago, booke23 said:

After seeing the performance (or rather lack of performance) of the cordless pressure washer in the video, I decided to stick to my KISS principle (keep it simple, stupid) and continue to use a bucket of soapy water with a soft brush to wash the boat. There's nothing I haven't been able to remove.......any stubborn bird poo that doesn't come off initially, does so when you come back to it after 10 minutes of soapy water soaking into it.   

I find bird poo comes off easily all by itself if you just leave it alone, for a couple of years. 

• Greenie 1

I moored below the Claydon flight last night. There are some very poorly ducks up there judging by my roof this morning.

I have a 12v deck wash kit that I picked up at a boat  jumble (new) a few years back.  Glorified diaphragm pump really. Better than buckets and mops but a bit of a faff getting back in the box.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

I find bird poo comes off easily all by itself if you just leave it alone, for a couple of years. 

It's not the avian waste matter, but the output from my marina's goff club festivities that bothers me...

(said club had a fireworks diaplay and most of the spent munitions ended up on my roof. Even as  a non-playing member, I felt somewhat miffed - to say the least, but pay tribute to their ability to aim (or mebe not) on a target some four hundred yards away and at right angles to any known hole in the course...

6 hours ago, MtB said:

Only while the initial battery charge (which came from a mains supply) remains usable. After that point it cannot be used in the absence of a 230V ac supply! 

Edited by blackrose

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Only while the initial battery charge (which came from a mains supply) remains usable. After that point it cannot be used in the absence of a 230V ac supply! 

Easy. You run along to the pub with battery and charger, they usually let you plug them in, 2 or 3 pints and it should be charged. I've done this a few times with camcorder batteries.

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I should have said "main advantages to me"

I have a 230v supply on the bou limited at, which i use for lawn mower, strimmer, vacuum cleaner etc.. 😀 😄 

Crikey, is this the first nuclear powered narrowboat on the cut?

Just in time, as the ICE era ends and  Elon Musk takes over the world 

Edited by LadyG

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Elon Musk takes over the world 

Not only is he making 10,000 staff redundant, he has put a stop to recruiting the 5000 additional staff they announced, just a couple of weeks ago, that they planned to take on.

His bubble is (maybe) starting to deflate.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Easy. You run along to the pub with battery and charger, they usually let you plug them in, 2 or 3 pints and it should be charged. I've done this a few times with camcorder batteries.

In a number of posts both on this forum and elsewhere individuals  h

make comments like ' I can charge it up for free at work or down the pub.' With energy costs soaring  for businesses far more steeply than for householders I wonder how much longer this relaxed attitude will continue. 

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not only is he making 10,000 staff redundant, he has put a stop to recruiting the 5000 additional staff they announced, just a couple of weeks ago, that they planned to take on.

His bubble is (maybe) starting to deflate.

This is pre-emptive action as he, like most other experienced businessmen are anticipating a recession and action now to protect their businesses is the prudent course of action.

Yes he thinks his business bubble is gonna deflate, just like the rest of the US economy. A clever man although not unique. 

9 hours ago, Slim said:

In a number of posts both on this forum and elsewhere individuals  h

make comments like ' I can charge it up for free at work or down the pub.' With energy costs soaring  for businesses far more steeply than for householders I wonder how much longer this relaxed attitude will continue. 

Going back in time.

Charging my laptop at work or in the pub was what I used to do 25+years ago in the days before I got an inverter🤭

13 hours ago, bizzard said:

So the pub isn't powered by 230V ac?  The point is that it can't be used in the absence of mains, wherever you want to charge the batteries. 

Edited by blackrose

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

So the pub isn't powered by 230V ac?  The point is that it can't be used in the absence of mains, wherever you want to charge the batteries. 

I, like many boaters, don't have "mains", but I do have 230v AC. In fact, the chances are that it has an AC to DC adapter so, with the right gear, could be charged directly from the boat 12v supply.