Double mooring on the canals

Noviceboata

Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, Noviceboata said:

Hi all,

I noticed (Around central London anyway) there are a lot of boats that are double moored- on the canals. How does that work? do those people usually know each other or you can just arrive and ask if its possible to moor beside them?

Particularly in London, because of the large number of boats (apparently 5,000+ residential boats, and all of the other leisure boats) there are many, more boats than there are available moorings, it is therefore quite normal to 'breast up' (or 'raft-up) but it is etiquette to ask if you can, many will say "OK" but some will say 'NO' and have some excuse like we are leaving at 05:00 and wouldn't want to disturb you, or, our Pit-Bull is not very keen on folk walking across our boat etc etc

As long as you read up and learn the 'rules' (which end of the boat do you walk across, how do you tie up so all the load is not on the 'inside boat' etc etc) you'll be fine.

Edit for numerous spoooling errurs

Edited by Alan de Enfield

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Absolutely shocking!

Look at all that mess on the towpath, bloody freeloaders 😎😃

We were there for fifteen days too. 😀

Spotted the mistake in my earlier post. For Witham, read Weaver.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

37 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Well done 👍 

Yes, I thought it was the weaver.  
I used to drive alongside the road there to ? Aarrgh, I forgot name of lock. Used to go regular too. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As long as you read up and learn the 'rules' (which end of the boat do you walk across, how do you tie up so all the load is not on the 'inside boat' etc etc) you'll be fine.

Which "rules" are those? Surely everyone will have their own preferences regarding which end of the boat to walk across? 

Also there's a fair chance nobody will be nobody at home when you want to moor up against them so unless you're willing to do it and then get retrospective permission it limits your options further. 

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Four abreast - huh, that's nothing.  Same spot in 2005.

IMG_4590.JPG.a37ec2df2d54657bc3d4fa89c5807996.JPG

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

.....As long as you read up and learn the 'rules' (which end of the boat do you walk across, how do you tie up so all the load is not on the 'inside boat' etc etc) you'll be fine......

Interestingly the etiquette for narrow boats is the exact opposite of the salty water etiquette isn't it? Narrow boats you go across the stern, salty water boats you walk across the bows.

22 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Interestingly the etiquette for narrow boats is the exact opposite of the salty water etiquette isn't it? Narrow boats you go across the stern, salty water boats you walk across the bows.

Exactly - I've never understood why you'd invade their privacy by walking past 'an open door' at the stern.

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Walk across the stern but etiquette says you don't look in.

Difficult when the 'family' is sat on their cruiser stern having a glass of 'pop' and a BBQ and you walk thru the middle of them.
I think this is the reason why on lumpy-water boats you cross by the bow. The stern is the space where the seats and table are & where the crew congregate.

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

Also there's a fair chance nobody will be nobody at home when you want to moor up against them so unless you're willing to do it and then get retrospective permission it limits your options further. 

Thats interesting,  wouldn't think the people would be to happy and somebody has moored beside them and walking across their boat without permission. 

20 minutes ago, Noviceboata said:

Thats interesting,  wouldn't think the people would be to happy and somebody has moored beside them and walking across their boat without permission. 

I believe, that unless you are a multi-millionaire, living in London you get used to breathing someone elses air, drinking water that has passed thru the humn body 3 times and walking into others personal-space.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe, that unless you are a multi-millionaire, living in London you get used to breathing someone elses air, drinking water that has passed thru the humn body 3 times and walking into others personal-space.

That is a realy good way to put it

14 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Amateurs, not a proper boater until you have moored nine abreast!

nine.jpg

Pah! Back in my day, we moored a thousand abreast at the Hellespont. Don’t have any photos but you you can check with Herodotus (if he’s still around - haven’t seen him post in a while.) 

I must admit the first attempt didn’t go well as we hadn’t asked permission. And even after we had successfully tied up, the intended picnic on the other side was a disaster.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Porpentine said:

Pah! Back in my day, we moored a thousand abreast at the Hellespont. Don’t have any photos but you you can check with Herodotus (if he’s still around - haven’t seen him post in a while.) 

I must admit the first attempt didn’t go well as we hadn’t asked permission. And even after we had successfully tied up, the intended picnic on the other side was a disaster.

Tut, tut.  Exaggeration.  There were only 674 boats breasted up. :).  I think you're confusing the number with the thousand ships that went to rescue Helen.

It is good to note that Xerxes didn't block the channel, but left gaps for boats to pass through.

Edited by koukouvagia