Bulky waste disposal

LadyG

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Their mattresses are good as well ;)

I'm not too worried about premium quality, that is to say, I just want something that is half decent but not fancy toppers, I just can't find one that ticks all the boxes, mainly delivery boxes.

Quit a few firms have discounts, and clearances, but now I've got to find a new place suitable for delivery, plans on hold.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm not too worried about premium quality, that is to say, I just want something that is half decent but not fancy toppers, I just can't find one that ticks all the boxes, mainly delivery boxes.

Quit a few firms have discounts, and clearances, but now I've got to find a new place suitable for delivery, plans on hold.

Did i mention premium quality?

No

These people are good.

https://www.made2measuremattress.co.uk/narrowboats-mattresses/

Based near Tamworth, made to measure, delivery £20, delivery and disposal £40

We have two of their Yorkshire mattresses on our boat and they are good but not premium  ;)

• Love 1

On the K&A CRT are now doing a free collection of bulky items. A few times each year I believe a workboat goes along and big stuff can be thrown into it. Maybe to be fair CRT should provide a similar service to all boaters???

Getting rid of stuff at the local tip is getting harder and harder and often impossible. Also really difficult if you don't have a car. I suggest that CRT really must start accepting batteries, used oil, and dirty bilge water at their rubbish points. I realise CRT are trying to cut back on refuge costs but times are changing and now its becoming almost essential, otherwise for some boaters fly tipping (on the towpath) will be just too tempting.

39 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Nope. This is what Kirklees Council have to say on the matter:

Bonfires

Smoke and smells from bonfires are the subject of many complaints to the council so bonfires in close proximity to your neighbours should generally be avoided.

There are no laws against having a bonfire, but there are laws for the nuisance they can cause.

Nuisance from bonfires

An occasional small garden bonfire burning dry wood or plant material may be acceptable. This includes bonfires on allotments.

Burning other household materials such as painted wood, plastics, furniture or mattresses may not.

There are no restrictions on the hours when you can have a bonfire.

Regular fires which cause smoke pollution may be considered a statutory nuisance. We can take action against those that create serious pollution from bonfires.

You could be fined if you light a fire and you allow the smoke to drift across the road and become a danger to traffic.

https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/crime-and-safety/bonfires.aspx#:~:text=There are no laws against,the nuisance they can cause.

Whoops 😭

IMG_20220415_215528.jpg

1 hour ago, dmr said:

On the K&A CRT are now doing a free collection of bulky items. A few times each year I believe a workboat goes along and big stuff can be thrown into it. Maybe to be fair CRT should provide a similar service to all boaters???

Getting rid of stuff at the local tip is getting harder and harder and often impossible. Also really difficult if you don't have a car. I suggest that CRT really must start accepting batteries, used oil, and dirty bilge water at their rubbish points. I realise CRT are trying to cut back on refuge costs but times are changing and now its becoming almost essential, otherwise for some boaters fly tipping (on the towpath) will be just too tempting.

FF 25 years and I predict stove ash will be considered hazardous waste and chucking it in the hedge will be considered as bad as emptying your bog in the cut.

Yes CRT should collect all waste from boaters and to pay for it, £500 a year could be added to the license fee for each boat. They'd probably still make a loss on that!

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, LadyG said:

unlikely the site would be right beside a mooring

Nelson recycling Centre has moorings. Turn up when they are working and someone should be around to help.

21 hours ago, LadyG said:

unlikely the site would be right beside a mooring

Nelson recycling centre has moorings. Turn up when they are working and someone should be around to help.

• Happy 1

Pedestrian access is not permitted at our local (Greater Manchester) re-cycling centres, so turning up with your disposables in a wheelbarrow won't get you anywhere.

For example. the  huge Bailey Street site in Stalybridge  is a couple of hundred yards  from the Huddersfield Narrow, but you would have to have a car or van  to access.

2 minutes ago, billh said:

Pedestrian access is not permitted at our local (Greater Manchester) re-cycling centres, so turning up with your disposables in a wheelbarrow won't get you anywhere.

For example. the  huge Bailey Street site in Stalybridge  is a couple of hundred yards  from the Huddersfield Narrow, but you would have to have a car or van  to access.

They allow boaters to walk in with rubbish at Middlewich and Stockton Heath

22 minutes ago, haggis said:

They allow boaters to walk in with rubbish at Middlewich and Stockton Heath

Though  fair to point out that neither place is  under the control of Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority, they are in Cheshire, so different rules apply.

32 minutes ago, billh said:

Though  fair to point out that neither place is  under the control of Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority, they are in Cheshire, so different rules apply.

Coming from north of the border I have no idea which places are in which counties and I merely made the post to give other boaters info about where refuse could be disposed of if they were in the area. No way was i arguing against your post, sorry if it looked that way. 

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Middleton site is not a walk in site I was told when I went to dump some oil.  But then it is "manned" by a load of arrogant jobsworths who just want to sift through scrap for goodies.

Middleton? do you mean Middlewich? When we were out boating a couple of months ago, Iain did an oil change when we moored in Middlewich and he just walked in and dumped the waste oil and other rubbish the next morning. The guy said "you off a boat ?"  and there was no problem. 

10 minutes ago, haggis said:

Coming from north of the border I have no idea which places are in which counties and I merely made the post to give other boaters info about where refuse could be disposed of if they were in the area. No way was i arguing against your post, sorry if it looked that way. 

Middleton? do you mean Middlewich? When we were out boating a couple of months ago, Iain did an oil change when we moored in Middlewich and he just walked in and dumped the waste oil and other rubbish the next morning. The guy said "you off a boat ?"  and there was no problem. 

Spell checher again, Middlewich.

Seems it depends who you speak to. I walked in off the road, perhaps that is different.

16 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I just take my stuff to the local household recycling centre. Went there today. They don't require any proof of residency. 

I don't think I can get mattress out of the boat, and I'm pretty sure I can't get it any further!

Tried another company, Dormieo or something, but not flexible.

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I just take my stuff to the local household recycling centre. Went there today. They don't require any proof of residency. 

We have to provide two forms of residential proof and make an appointment

10 minutes ago, sueb said:

Just so stupid,  why discourage people from getting something done sensibly, why do they need an appointment, the place is either open or closed. What used to happen locally was that folks just dumped stuff at the gateway overnight. Difficult to police, I mean it's better than dumping in a field leaving the farmer to pay.

Any big centre I used they have skips for all different things. Though they marked my card when I took six wine bottles, told me not to come back (I had a van), so I went to a different site, laminate this time,, where they told me not to come back!

Edited by LadyG

On 02/06/2022 at 10:49, Awayonmyboat said:

The supplier of my new mattress delivered it and took the old one away for a charge of£25. I thought that was a reasonable deal and I believe quite common in the industry (many household also have trouble getting rid of mattress- most cars will not take one). Maybe search for a shop that will do this. The table, maybe you have to break up and dispose of incrementally.

There is one company which removes the mattress from room, and delivers, but they tend to have slightly more expensive mattresses, works out at a total cost of £275 for a single (delivery and removal is about £45).

It's quite a confusing thing, so many different descriptions,  the reviews are all excellent and refer to different mattresses!

Edited by LadyG

12 hours ago, haggis said:

I had a huge oil leak just there with a bikge full of water too, and they let me take a couple of the dumped five gallon kegs from the site to pump it all into, then take it back to dispose. Very much depends on who you talk to I think at these places.

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

There is one company which removes the mattress from room, and delivers, but they tend to have slightly more expensive mattresses, works out at a total cost of £275 for a single (delivery and removal is about £45).

It's quite a confusing thing, so many different descriptions,  the reviews are all excellent and refer to different mattresses!

It is very confusing but once you decide on the type of mattress, you can begin to whittle down the options quite quickly.

£45 Sounds a lot but in the grand scheme of things it’s worth it to have it out the way. 
We can save in so many ways living on a boat, buy every now and again we have to take a knock and this perhaps one of them.

On 03/06/2022 at 10:10, haggis said:

Same with us in 2020

20 hours ago, sueb said:

We have to pre-book an appointment and take proof of residence, then they use APNR to check that you have arrived in the vehicle booked. 😠

23 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't think I can get mattress out of the boat, and I'm pretty sure I can't get it any further!

Tried another company, Dormeo or something, but not flexible.

Been in to Skipton, bought a good mattress, and some  solid oak furniture from Skipton Bed and Sofa established 55 years.

They agreed  on disposal and delivery without drama. I then spent £700+, they are part of an online company,  but big selection of beds and good advice, no sales pressure. Mattresses of all types, good advice by experienced staff, ty Jeff!

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Been in to Skipton, bought a good mattress, and some  oak furniture, but only once they agreed on disposal and delivery without drama. I spent £700+, they are part of an online company,  but big selection of beds and good advice, no sales pressure.

Well done 👍 

You know they’ll probably fly tip it further down the cut: Be prepared to reclaim your old mattress 😃