Jump to content

Bulky waste disposal


LadyG

Featured Posts

Hi there, I noticed someone had left some large items in the CRT bin area, outside the bins, got me to thinking about my mattress, and a table I need to replace. I don't mind paying, it's £34 from local authority, but they expect me to live in a house, lol.

What do others do? I mean legally!

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Either find some one with a big car/van and get them to take it to the local recycling centre (AKA the tip). Technically not legal as it is provided by the council for domestic waste from land based homes.

 

Or use Google to find a waste disposal firm who will do a one off collection, they will likely charge substantially more than the £34 the council charge. (If they're really cheap they're probably going to fly tip it)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

Either find some one with a big car/van and get them to take it to the local recycling centre (AKA the tip). Technically not legal as it is provided by the council for domestic waste from land based homes.

 

Or use Google to find a waste disposal firm who will do a one off collection, they will likely charge substantially more than the £34 the council charge. (If they're really cheap they're probably going to fly tip it)

 

Yes tried the disposal firm, over £150

I do know someone who lives here viz, my upholstery firm, they might do it, if I paid them enough! 

 

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Yes tried the disposal firm, over £150

The stupidity of waste disposal in the UK knows no bounds. There is no wonder scrotes fly tip. As a for instance, I am in Ceredigion and I can put any unlimited number of black household waste bags out for collection, no limit, no questions asked. 8 house down on my same street is Carmarthenshire, about 100 yards away. They are only allowed a strict 2 bags allowance each collection time. Bonkers.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Number of Household Waste and Recycling Sites are located on the banks of canals. Droitwich on the B&W near Hanbury Wharf, Langley on the Slough Arm GU next to the B470 bridge are two that I have used before. Use google maps of the area and see if any are next to the waterway your on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Number of Household Waste and Recycling Sites are located on the banks of canals. Droitwich on the B&W near Hanbury Wharf, Langley on the Slough Arm GU next to the B470 bridge are two that I have used before. Use google maps of the area and see if any are next to the waterway your on.

Middlewich is another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Number of Household Waste and Recycling Sites are located on the banks of canals. Droitwich on the B&W near Hanbury Wharf, Langley on the Slough Arm GU next to the B470 bridge are two that I have used before. Use google maps of the area and see if any are next to the waterway your on.

I can't get it out of my boat unaided, unlikely the site would be right beside a mooring, but I'll Google. I've asked CRT, waiting for their response, I can guess!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I can't get it out of my boat unaided, unlikely the site would be right beside a mooring, but I'll Google. I've asked CRT, waiting for their response, I can guess!

Mattress       Take a knife to it and rip it up. Easier then. Burn the woolly bits. 

 

Table        Wood?  Chop and burn!

  • Greenie 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Mattress       Take a knife to it and rip it up. Easier then. Burn the woolly bits. 

 

Table        Wood?  Chop and burn!

I suspect the table has lots of nasty things, only the legs are real wood, and I can envisage getting rid of that in a few hours, the old mattress has to go the day the new one arrives, though I might try a vacuum packed  type, as seen on YouTube.

I am tied next to a bedding shop, thirty yards away, but they don't want to help, so if I buy a mattress it will probably be delivered.

I don't think burning the mattress will be legal or practical, I assume you knew that!

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Won't the supplier of your new mattress take the old one away for free?

 

 

Why should it be free? They will incur significant costs in the disposal of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The supplier of my new mattress delivered it and took the old one away for a charge of£25. I thought that was a reasonable deal and I believe quite common in the industry (many household also have trouble getting rid of mattresses - most cars will not take one). Maybe search for a shop that will do this. The table, maybe you have to break up and dispose of incrementally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

 

 

Why should it be free? They will incur significant costs in the disposal of it.

Point taken. But it would still be the most convenient way to get rid of it, and probably no more expensive than other options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll try the other bedding shop, they might have a plan, after all, if I expect to spend at least £200 with them if I buy another coffee table. I don't object to paying a reasonable cost.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Awayonmyboat said:

The supplier of my new mattress delivered it and took the old one away for a charge of£25. I thought that was a reasonable deal and I believe quite common in the industry (many household also have trouble getting rid of mattresses - most cars will not take one). Maybe search for a shop that will do this. The table, maybe you have to break up and dispose of incrementally.

Who was this please?

I've found a mattress recycling firm, it's £45 approx.

WOW Mattress Online remove from my room!

Too good to be true!

 

 

 

 

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Won't the supplier of your new mattress take the old one away for free?

I used to work next door to an independent bed and mattress shop, the guy that owned it reckoned it cost him about £30 to dispose of a double mattress, and that was 20 years ago.

 

Anywhere that does "free" disposal of your old mattress has probably just included £50 or more in the price of your new mattress to cover disposal.

If you have a car and can carry the old mattress it makes cheaper to tie it to the roof and take it to the dump yourself. 

 

In LadyG's case it would make sense to buy the new mattress from someone who will dispose of the old one,  but avoid the big firms, they'll probably have a health and safety rule that prevents them boarding a boat to deliver/collect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Point taken. But it would still be the most convenient way to get rid of it, and probably no more expensive than other options.

Most don't remove old mattress, but some do, I'll need to use one of these. I expect to pay, there is a cost. No one offers free disposal. Prices vary.

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The stupidity of waste disposal in the UK knows no bounds. There is no wonder scrotes fly tip. As a for instance, I am in Ceredigion and I can put any unlimited number of black household waste bags out for collection, no limit, no questions asked. 8 house down on my same street is Carmarthenshire, about 100 yards away. They are only allowed a strict 2 bags allowance each collection time. Bonkers.

 I guess that with an unpronounceable address they find it difficult to regulate their services so they just allow any old behaviour.   :unsure:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a Hypnos mattress. Expensive but fabulous. They took the old one away for free.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I suspect the table has lots of nasty things, only the legs are real wood, and I can envisage getting rid of that in a few hours, the old mattress has to go the day the new one arrives, though I might try a vacuum packed  type, as seen on YouTube.

I am tied next to a bedding shop, thirty yards away, but they don't want to help, so if I buy a mattress it will probably be delivered.

I don't think burning the mattress will be legal or practical, I assume you knew that!

Why is it not legal to burn a mattress? Certainly practical to burn off the woolly bits and recycle the metalwork.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

 

Why is it not legal to burn a mattress? Certainly practical to burn off the woolly bits and recycle the metalwork.

 

 

I've a vague idea it is illegal to have bonfires nowadays of any sort. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

 

 

I've a vague idea it is illegal to have bonfires nowadays of any sort. 

 

I don't think its true that all bonfires are illegal, some cities and built up areas may have smoke control zones that either put very strict controls or completely ban bonfires. And  i think environmental health could get involved if you have a fire that gives of toxic fumes. 

The bigger problem if you live on a boat is where to have the bonfire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I bought a Hypnos mattress. Expensive but fabulous. They took the old one away for free.

Why is it not legal to burn a mattress? Certainly practical to burn off the woolly bits and recycle the metalwork.

Clean Air Act for one, and burning plastics, is going to release PCBs in to atmosphere. Mattresses might once have been straw , wool, cotton, but not nowadays. 

I just want a hotel standard bed, tough clean outer cover, and good edges, and fairly cheap, I mean about £175 for a single including removal. Oh, and willing to remove old one off boat, this may cost about £15.00 extra.

Anyways, I've had to move from the site which would have been suitable  for access due to scrotes. Plans on hold.

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MtB said:

 

 

I've a vague idea it is illegal to have bonfires nowadays of any sort. 

 

Nope. This is what Kirklees Council have to say on the matter:

Bonfires

Smoke and smells from bonfires are the subject of many complaints to the council so bonfires in close proximity to your neighbours should generally be avoided.

There are no laws against having a bonfire, but there are laws for the nuisance they can cause.

Nuisance from bonfires

An occasional small garden bonfire burning dry wood or plant material may be acceptable. This includes bonfires on allotments.

Burning other household materials such as painted wood, plastics, furniture or mattresses may not.

There are no restrictions on the hours when you can have a bonfire.

Regular fires which cause smoke pollution may be considered a statutory nuisance. We can take action against those that create serious pollution from bonfires.

You could be fined if you light a fire and you allow the smoke to drift across the road and become a danger to traffic.

 

https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/crime-and-safety/bonfires.aspx#:~:text=There are no laws against,the nuisance they can cause.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.