Lister SR - Rocker Cover securing nuts.

zenataomm

Featured Posts

My SR2 is missing one nut from a Rocker Cover.

I actually have a dozen or so of them, but they are with the newly missing one.

I'm hoping @RichardPowell spinster of this parish or an expert of his ilk, can point me in the direction of a source.

It would also be helpful if anyone knows how to subdue gravity a bit, especially beneath my back deck.

Oooh now, doesn't it depend what era the engine is from?

It isn't the gravity per se, it's to do with the water. What's happened is the nuts/spanner/etc are naturally drawn towards the gravitons in the water. By putting your boat into water you've created a natural gravity well where not only is the nut attracted by normal gravity, there are additional forces from the surrounding water.

If there should be a large metallic object in there like an engine, that increases the attractive forces

Richard

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Oooh now, doesn't it depend what era the engine is from?

It isn't the gravity per se, it's to do with the water. What's happened is the nuts/spanner/etc are naturally drawn towards the gravitons in the water. By putting your boat into water you've created a natural gravity well where not only is the nut attracted by normal gravity, there are additional forces from the surrounding water.

If there should be a large metallic object in there like an engine, that increases the attractive forces

Richard

It’s a bit like car mechanic’s sod’s law: any object dropped on the floor will roll to either the precise centre of the space under the car, or to just behind the inboard bulge of a tyre.

Throw another one on the floor and watch it migrate to where all the others are.

I dropped a ball bearing a few months ago, in the engine room. Searched to no avail, swept up, not found, went all over with a magnet, not found.

Had to buy 10 more to put the job all back together.

Time passes.

Found it in the saloon weeks later. How it got there is a total mystery to me.

10 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Throw another one on the floor and watch it migrate to where all the others are.

I dropped a ball bearing a few months ago, in the engine room. Searched to no avail, swept up, not found, went all over with a magnet, not found.

Had to buy 10 more to put the job all back together.

Time passes.

Found it in the saloon weeks later. How it got there is a total mystery to me.

Wormholes.

Richard 

Possession of small and immediately irreplaceable engine components is vital to the Gremlin life cycle.  Without your nuts or other things they are unable to attract a mate.  Gremlin attractiveness is enhanced by possession of rare or scarce components, like two piece spark plug sealing rings, valve spring collets or imperial sized internal circlips.

Once the mating rituals have been completed (which may involve wormholes, ant-gravity, and, where springs and ball bearings are involved, defiance of Newton's laws, )  the parts are no longer useful and so are discarded  to be re-found by their owner.

One answer is to provide  sacrificial à items. BA aààtaps, Calipers, small spanners and 6-inch steel rules work well in my workshop.  Another solution  is to search hard for something completely else.  Thus, if your  nuts have gone missing, search diligently for something entirely unrelated, such as a copper injector sealing washer or a yellow  9 mm male blade crimp.  After about 5 minutes your nuts will reappear, since the item you apparently sought now has greater benefits to the Gremlin.

Do not try adding Boffins. Empirical evidence shows that  Extra Boffins promote  Gremlin multiplication and are thereby self-nullifying.

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

Possession of small and immediately irreplaceable engine components is vital to the Gremlin life cycle.  Without your nuts or other things they are unable to attract a mate.  Gremlin attractiveness is enhanced by possession of rare or scarce components, like two piece spark plug sealing rings, valve spring collets or imperial sized internal circlips.

Once the mating rituals have been completed (which may involve wormholes, ant-gravity, and, where springs and ball bearings are involved, defiance of Newton's laws, )  the parts are no longer useful and so are discarded  to be re-found by their owner.

One answer is to provide  sacrificial à items. BA aààtaps, Calipers, small spanners and 6-inch steel rules work well in my workshop.  Another solution  is to search hard for something completely else.  Thus, if your  nuts have gone missing, search diligently for something entirely unrelated, such as a copper injector sealing washer or a yellow  9 mm male blade crimp.  After about 5 minutes your nuts will reappear, since the item you apparently sought now has greater benefits to the Gremlin.

Do not try adding Boffins. Empirical evidence shows that  Extra Boffins promote  Gremlin multiplication and are thereby self-nullifying.

The 10mm spanner seems particularly popular.:ninja:

Edited by Iain_S
  • Greenie 1

I once rebuilt a Massey Ferguson backhoe transmission ......when the tractor was all back together ,the boss spotted a roller from a gear on the floor......he handed it to me,suggesting I do the job over again. .......I flicked it out into the weeds in the back yard......no more was said.