Two days different dish

LadyG

Featured Posts

I have recently found a recipe for a baked leet and smoked haddock (or cod) risotto. It is so lush it renders me speechless and husband and daughter are ecstatic.

however I reduce ther recipe there is always enough for a second meal! 

Lady G. Have you tried to find out what is wrong with the fridge?

A properly functioning fridge will surely give you a lot more food options? 

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Don't worry he's just showing orf because he bought himself a 12v freezer.

Just wait until November and it is caning his batteries into an early death and he can't put all his -25c stuff outside.... :giggles:

I don't know how we managed with the tiny freezer box in our 12v fridge on NC.

Got a much bigger one on the van now and it is so handy. Love it.

Runs on gas most of the time though so no need to be battery watching in the winter 😀

8 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

I have recently found a recipe for a baked leet and smoked haddock (or cod) risotto. It is so lush it renders me speechless and husband and daughter are ecstatic.

however I reduce ther recipe there is always enough for a second meal! 

Yes, but it's tricky to buy just enough for one, unless access to a fishmonger.

I bought a packet of risotto rice recently, will try a fish recipe, might even work with a bit of smoked mackerel, which can do for a salad on day two.im not sure if one can use boiled egg in a risotto, a late addition, maybe.

The finest smoked fish is only available in Scotland for some reason ..... Arbroath Smokies.

PS fridge is twenty years old, it needs to be managed, is turned on when required, turned off, cleaned and dried. Very often I just pop my beer or wine in the freezer for half an hour, this chills the drinks and cools the rest of the fridge. The noise of compressor is annoying overnight, so again I will turn it off, basically fridge needs replaced, but also the galley needs to be reconstructed as fridge is boxed in.

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

Tatties on, eggs in steamer above, veg in steamer above that. I don't peel potatoes.

Roux is... a la-di-da con to make chefs seem like they're doing something clever. Try this - just lob all the white sauce ingredients in a pan cold, heat it up and stir - same result!

But actually as soon as the tats veg and eggs are on the heat I slice onion and add to melted butter, turn it right down with a lid on and sweat it. Them bung raw fish in to pie dish and have a 5 minute break. By then the onion is "see through", add the flour and milk (or cream and water - it's all the same to me) + salt and pepper and make the onion sauce. While that's gently heating up the eggs are done so peel those, chop and add to the fish. Keep stirring that sauce. By then the veg is cooked enough and tats can be turned off. Add veg. Now the sauce is done, add that, drain and mash the tats and add that, bung in oven for 40 minutes, gas mk 5. I found pre-cooking the fish ruins the fish, it only takes a few minutes to cook fish? Cheese can be added to the sauce or the mash if that's your bag. It's nothing flash, but it is quick and homely and I like the way I can keep going and everything is ready to add one thing at a time as it pre-cooks just enough. 30 mins would probably do it but I like the mash a bit browned on top.

Pastry I make my own, it's time consuming but it's cheaper. Same for cakes, quiche, whatever - always tastier if you make these things from scratch.

I sprinkle dried onions onto many things including fish pie, salads, bacon and egg sarnies, etc.  Buy a large bag on line and it keeps for months and is cheap as chips.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, but it's tricky to buy just enough for one, unless access to a fishmonger, they tend to come in packs.

I bought a packet of risotto rice recently, will try a fish recipe, might even work with a bit of smoked mackerel, which can do for a salad on day two.im not sure if one can use boiled egg in a risotto, a late addition, maybe.

The finest smoked fish is only available in Scotland for some reason ..... Arbroath Smokies.

I'm all about locally sourced ingredients, and there seemed to be no shortage of rats when I was at Chester Basin- and I was lucky enough to find this delicious recipe for everyone's favourite rodent du jour:

Why wait for the apocalypse?

10 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

Pastry I make my own, it's time consuming but it's cheaper. Same for cakes, quiche, whatever - always tastier if you make these things from scratch.

Totally agree. I find shop-bought 'chilled' pastry particularly disappointing compared to the real thing. 

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

Totally agree. I find shop-bought 'chilled' pastry particularly disappointing compared to the real thing. 

Oh, strange, I liked mine, must try harder,  also I thought it was cheaper, I only have butter in the larder, and that is not the best for pastry.

Edited by LadyG

just finished a cold lager and a packet of chilli cashews & peanuts while sitting out on my patio watching the marina boats moving out one by one to enjoy the (sparse) sunshine. 

the dogs enjoyed the occasional spilled nuts - just hope they don't have an adverse reaction.  

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

(you can tell it’s a Northern pint 😃forced out through a sprinkler)

just read a snippet in Private Eye - guess where "Norn Iron" is?  ........   perfect phonetics for those in the know.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

just finished a cold lager and a packet of chilli cashews & peanuts while sitting out on my patio watching the marina boats moving out one by one to enjoy the (sparse) sunshine. 

the dogs enjoyed the occasional spilled nuts - just hope they don't have an adverse reaction.  

just read a snippet in Private Eye - guess where "Norn Iron" is?  ........   perfect phonetics for those in the know.

Had to google it,

and yes 😃 makes perfect sense, once you know

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

PS fridge is twenty years old, it needs to be managed, is turned on when required, turned off, cleaned and dried. Very often I just pop my beer or wine in the freezer for half an hour, this chills the drinks and cools the rest of the fridge. The noise of compressor is annoying overnight, so again I will turn it off, basically fridge needs replaced, but also the galley needs to be reconstructed as fridge is boxed in.

You are not going to the right places.

We have just bought tonight's smoked fish dinner which has done zero road miles. It came off the boat, into the quayside smokehouse and back out again onto our van which is about 100 yards walk away.

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

Our fridge in the boat was boxed into the bodywork of the boat. We still managed to find a replacement. 

We had an Engle originally. The compressor on that was noisy bit we got used too it. We replaced it with a Waeco CRX50. It was far superior,  used a fraction of the power of the Engle and you could not hear it running even in the midships bed which was almost under the fridge.

Worth every penny of the replacement. 

This is your home. Replace it rather than soldiering on without one. Home should be comfortable. 

• Love 1

On 01/06/2022 at 23:01, Lily Rose said:

Making 2 portions doesn't have to mean eating the same dish on 2 consecutive days. Make 2 portions, eat 1 today, have something else tomorrow and then eat the 2nd portion the day after. I often save a portion of curry (for example) and eat it 3 days later. If anything I find it improves with age. Up to a point.

I didn't realise that you could hang curry like game... 😅🤣

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post.
  • Haha 1

On 02/06/2022 at 15:25, Naughty Cal said:

Our fridge in the boat was boxed into the bodywork of the boat. We still managed to find a replacement. 

We had an Engle originally. The compressor on that was noisy bit we got used too it. We replaced it with a Waeco CRX50. It was far superior,  used a fraction of the power of the Engle and you could not hear it running even in the midships bed which was almost under the fridge.

This is your home. Replace it rather than soldiering on without one. Home should be comfortable. 

I did look in to getting a new fridge, and if  I could just swap I'd think about it.,. It's a lot of money for very little benefit, as it would have to be off in winter anyway. I think the total cost, essentially a new galley, would come out at £2k, and I have yet to find anyone willing to do the galley. No one wants to do small jobs.

Fridge is  not a major inconvenience as I am usually near shops, it chills the drinks in thirty minutes. It's on a few times per day, keeps stuff cool.The whole galley would need to be altered to make sure it ventilated.

Edited by LadyG

On 02/06/2022 at 15:21, Naughty Cal said:

You are not going to the right places.

We have just bought tonight's smoked fish dinner which has done zero road miles. It came off the boat, into the quayside smokehouse and back out again onto our van which is about 100 yards walk away.

I'm not moving the boat to Arbroath !

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm not moving the boat to Arbroath !

Whitby is probably closer to you.

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

I did look in to getting a new fridge, and if  I could just swap I'd think about it.,. It's a lot of money for very little benefit, as it would have to be off in winter anyway. I think the total cost, essentially a new galley, would come out at £2k, and I have yet to find anyone willing to do the galley. No one wants to do small jobs.

Fridge is  not a major inconvenience as I am usually near shops, it chills the drinks in thirty minutes. It's on a few times per day, keeps stuff cool.The whole galley would need to be altered to make sure it ventilated.

Why switch it off in winter?

On 01/06/2022 at 17:38, LadyG said:

I don't have a reliable fridge, so I'm afraid freezing is out of the question.

I think it's just something to live with, I'm not a great cook, and it's not worth spending an hour prepping something that is gone in twenty minutes.

Eat more slowly!

One leg. tin chopped tomatoes

250 g decent  beef mince

Oregano

One large onion

1 sm. tin kidney beans (or cannellini) 

Chilli powder/ hot pepper sauce

Use first 4 ingredients to make a bolognaise ragu.

Divide in two.  Eat first half with pasta.

Add kidney beans and chilli/ hot sauce to taste to the second part.  Simmer gently for 10 mins.  Ta Dah!  Chilli con Carne.  Eat with rice or tortillas or baked spud.

N

• Greenie 3

• 1 month later...
On 01/06/2022 at 12:53, LadyG said:

Ok, so I can make a lovely fresh meal, often a curry, but next day  I open fridge and don't want the same.

So today, I came up with pasta, rigattoni (one mug of dried makes one bowl of pasta), I used half a pot of sauce from Tesco, with a bit of basil.

So tomorrow I've got a mug of soup, or a stock for chicken casserole type dish. One pot, twenty minutes cooking.

Good idea to make an initial base meal, and separate into containers..... add different ingredients for the following three days.

A boater recently gifted me a tray of greyhound cabbage. I'm now taking cuttings once a week as part of a meal.....

47 minutes ago, Lincoln Mansfield said:

Good idea to make an initial base meal, and separate into containers..... add different ingredients for the following three days.

A boater recently gifted me a tray of greyhound cabbage. I'm now taking cuttings once a week as part of a meal.....

I usually make a batch of something which lasts me more than half the week, but each day I add something different to it to make each meal different.

For example:  I might make a basic bolognese sauce using good tomatoes, garlic, basil, onions and beef mince.  Then each day I'll do something different with it.  One day I'll add some crunchy peppers, sweetcorn and celery and put it in tortilla wraps with cheese.  Another day I'll spice it up with chillies and cook some rice with it.  Another day I'll add root veggies - potatoes, beetroot etc and add some stock and then casserole it.  Each day it doesn't take long and I'm only eating from proper ingredients.  No jars of sauces etc.

The biggest issue with cooking for one is that supermarkets put everything in big plastic packages with very little sold loose.  This is even more true in the small grocery shops which are often near the canal.  Typically I want 1 or 2 potatoes, not a big bag of 12, of which half will go mouldy before I eat them, unless I just eat potatoes every day.

41 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The biggest issue with cooking for one is that supermarkets put everything in big plastic packages with very little sold loose.  This is even more true in the small grocery shops which are often near the canal.  Typically I want 1 or 2 potatoes, not a big bag of 12, of which half will go mouldy before I eat them, unless I just eat potatoes every day.

If you purchase small potatos, like New Jersey, they can be stored in a dark cupboard, and will last a couple of weeks. Prior to them growing eyes, or going bad, you can boil them, and refrigerat them, giving them a further few more days of usage.

I totally understand re supermarket plastic packaging. I will take them out of the plastic packaging once I've purchased them, and bring them to the boat loose..... 

You choice of ingredients sounds tasty. I also use herbs and spices and not jars of sauce!

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2022 at 15:25, Naughty Cal said:

It's not the cost, it's the practicality..

I have a coolmatic, which is the same size as the Crx50, I'm not prepared to just swap as the housing is going to be the same so even though it will be more efficient, it's still boxed in, anyway still trying to find someone who wants to do the job, I can't just deposit the old one on the towpath, even if I could get it out. If anyone wants it, pm me, it might suit someone else and they can help me instal the new one.

Edited by LadyG