Two days different dish

LadyG

Featured Posts

Ok, so I can make a lovely fresh meal, often a curry, but next day  I open fridge and don't want the same.

So today, I came up with pasta, rigattoni (one mug of dried makes one bowl of pasta), I used half a pot of sauce from Tesco, with a bit of basil.

So tomorrow I've got a mug of soup, or a stock for chicken casserole type dish. One pot, twenty minutes cooking.

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ok, so I can make a lovely fresh meal, often a curry, but next day  I open fridge and don't want the same.

So today, I came up with pasta, rigattoni (one mug of dried makes one bowl of pasta), I used half a pot of sauce from Tesco, with a bit of basil.

So tomorrow I've got a mug of soup, or a stock for chicken casserole type dish. One pot, twenty minutes cooking.

Cooking for one is tricky, I found I lost interest in cooking generally. It took getting back to meals for two that rekindled the desire for fresh cooked meals with some variety.

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Pack a freezer with Cornish pasties. 
Job done. 
Order 10 or more and they will deliver. 
Lots of companies to choose from. Philps in Hayle do a good deal. 

We did this through lock down. :)

They were really very tasty. Lovely straight from the oven.

• Greenie 1

I don't have a reliable fridge, so I'm afraid freezing is out of the question.

I think it's just something to live with, I'm not a great cook, and it's not worth spending an hour prepping something that is gone in twenty minutes.

Edited by LadyG

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think it's just something to live with, I'm not a great cook, and it's not worth spending an hour prepping something that is gone in twenty minutes.

By the way, did you manage to get your stove door catch fixed?

54 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I’m not gonna teach you to suck eggs (that would be another meal though) but if your fridge is on the blink have you tried keeping some perishables in a tin somewhere on the boat where it’s at its coolest?

Edited by Goliath

56 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’m not gonna teach you to suck eggs (that would be another meal though) but if your fridge is on the blink have you tried keeping some perishables in a tin somewhere on the boat where it’s at its coolest?

Yes, I've tried,: the fridge runs, but it runs nearly all the time, so everything gets too cold, in warm weather it heats the boat!

Gin, tonic and white wine are fine.

Essentially food needs to be kept at 5C  rather than fluctuating, mostly i just go for suitable food, and frequent shopping. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, alias said:

By the way, did you manage to get your stove door catch fixed?

The stove door catch ordered via ebay arrived eventually. I've not fitted it yet, it might need a bit of persuasion.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Don't worry he's just showing orf because he bought himself a 12v freezer.

Just wait until November and it is caning his batteries into an early death and he can't put all his -25c stuff outside.... :giggles:

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Cooking for one is tricky,

Totally agree. No matter how little I cook it always ends up enough for two meals at least. Good thing I'm a good cooker as whatever I cooked for myself yesterday, it was so good I'm totally happy to eat the same thing again today!  

Good thing there is no gurl around, they mess this bouy system up totally.... DAMHIK.

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, MtB said:

Don't worry he's just showing orf because he bought himself a 12v freezer.

Just wait until November and it is caning his batteries into an early death and he can't put all his -25c stuff outside.... :giggles:

I am 😎

and you’re right ☹️

😃

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm not a great cook

There's your problem right there - cook better and you'd probably be happy eating it for 2-3 days which in turn makes it worth the time. I love fish pie - you know the sort with fish, eggs, veg in white onion sauce and mash on top. It takes me 20 minutes of prep time to make one that lasts me 3 days, so what's that? 7 minutes / meal. 

56 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

There's your problem right there - cook better and you'd probably be happy eating it for 2-3 days which in turn makes it worth the time. I love fish pie - you know the sort with fish, eggs, veg in white onion sauce and mash on top. It takes me 20 minutes of prep time to make one that lasts me 3 days, so what's that? 7 minutes / meal. 

OMG Fish Pie!!!!! Not dun that for yonks, Yum. 

Need some NOW!!!

1 minute ago, Bacchus said:

Cooking for one is tricky, but it's eating for two that's my downfall... (c:

Totally agree. So often I scoff a meal and think "Feck moi, that was delicious!", then scoff the one I saved for tomorrow....

1 hour ago, Slow and Steady said:

I've got an o level in cookery, my russian fish pie was a family legend!

I just could not eat fish pie three days in a row. Don't you have to boil the eggs, peel them,  boil potatoes and veg, mash them, cook the onions, make a roux for white sauce, poach the fish? No I've never made your fish pie.

Birds Eye fish pie is excellent, and economical.

I've yet to find a good fish n chip restaurant here, but there must be one, and that's my favourite meal. 

Nowadays I use ready made pastry, and make sausage rolls with real sausages. So that is one success, but that leaves me with half a packet of pastry and half a packet of sausages.

Maybe I need to check out Ready Steady Cook recipes.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've got an o level in cookery, my russian fish pie was a family legend!

I just could not eat fish pie three days in a row. Don't you have to boil the eggs, peel them,  boil potatoes, mash them, cook the onions, make a roux for white sauce, poach the fish? No I've never made your fish pie.

Nowadays I use ready made pastry, and make sausage rolls with real sausages. So that is one success, but that leaves me with half a packet of pastry and half a packet of sausages.

Maybe I need to check out Ready Steady Cook recipes?

Tatties on, eggs in steamer above, veg in steamer above that. I don't peel potatoes.

Roux is... a la-di-da con to make chefs seem like they're doing something clever. Try this - just lob all the white sauce ingredients in a pan cold, heat it up and stir - same result!

But actually as soon as the tats veg and eggs are on the heat I slice onion and add to melted butter, turn it right down with a lid on and sweat it. Them bung raw fish in to pie dish and have a 5 minute break. By then the onion is "see through", add the flour and milk (or cream and water - it's all the same to me) + salt and pepper and make the onion sauce. While that's gently heating up the eggs are done so peel those, chop and add to the fish. Keep stirring that sauce. By then the veg is cooked enough and tats can be turned off. Add veg. Now the sauce is done, add that, drain and mash the tats and add that, bung in oven for 40 minutes, gas mk 5. I found pre-cooking the fish ruins the fish, it only takes a few minutes to cook fish? Cheese can be added to the sauce or the mash if that's your bag. It's nothing flash, but it is quick and homely and I like the way I can keep going and everything is ready to add one thing at a time as it pre-cooks just enough. 30 mins would probably do it but I like the mash a bit browned on top.

Pastry I make my own, it's time consuming but it's cheaper. Same for cakes, quiche, whatever - always tastier if you make these things from scratch.

Edited by Slow and Steady
  • Greenie 1

Making 2 portions doesn't have to mean eating the same dish on 2 consecutive days. Make 2 portions, eat 1 today, have something else tomorrow and then eat the 2nd portion the day after. I often save a portion of curry (for example) and eat it 3 days later. If anything I find it improves with age. Up to a point.

• Greenie 2

Apple crumble - what could be easier? Chuck it in with the fish pie. Add cream.

3 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Making 2 portions doesn't have to mean eating the same dish on 2 consecutive days. Make 2 portions, eat 1 today, have something else tomorrow and then eat the 2nd portion the day after. I often save a portion of curry (for example) and eat it 3 days later. If anything I find it improves with age. Up to a point.

I don't even bother putting my fish pie in the fridge, it's fine for a couple of days even in this weather.

• Horror 1

5 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Apple crumble - what could be easier? Chuck it in with the fish pie. Add cream.

I don't even bother putting my fish pie in the fridge, it's fine for a couple of days even in this weather.

I like fish pie. I love Apple crumble. I've never tried combining them by chucking one in with the other. I may give it a go though based on your recommendation, after all it all ends up in same place eventually.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I like fish pie. I love Apple crumble. I've never tried combining them by chucking one in with the other. I may give it a go though based on your recommendation, after all it all ends up in same place eventually.

It would be ok with pork substituted for the fish. :thinking: