Narrow boat plumbing

Featured Posts

Teachers, men amongst boys, boys amongst men.

I see that the hook sank deep, barbs and all.

I do know lots of teachers, some good, some terrible human beings who should never have been let loose on children.

I have vague recollections of school days with 6 week wonder de-mobbed teachers who were appalling. Some were perverts, some grossly ineffective, some sadists. Many seriously flawed personalities.

My offspring encountered the same, with a heavy dose of very left wing political indoctrination which caused some ructions in the family.

I do hope things have changed. Small wonder that my generation were less than impressed.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My Mother was a teacher and more recently so was my sister.

Just noticed both examples in the past tense so how long ago and why not still. I accept your mother is probably long past retirement age and so might be your sister, but if so at least in your mother's case things were very different to what they are now.

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The teachers are not doing their jobs properly?  Too busy planning strikes and taking days off. They are all part-timers anyway, a proper job would cripple them.

An 'escaped' teacher writes.........

BOLLOCKS!

And adds.....

If the job is so good why don't you do it?

And I used to have a proper job too.

(A coal face worker)

1 minute ago, Victor Vectis said:

An 'escaped' teacher writes.........

BOLLOCKS!

And adds.....

If the job is so good why don't you do it?

And I used to have a proper job too.

(A coal face worker)

You already know why, they know deep down that they could not hack it, but to admit that would mean they would have to support more pay and less work for teachers. It is easier and less uncomfortable to throw empty slogans about. If the job is as easy as they are suggesting, maybe they could explain why there is such a high staff turnover.

• Greenie 3

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just noticed both examples in the past tense so how long ago and why not still. I accept your mother is probably long past retirement age and so might be your sister, but if so at least in your mother's case things were very different to what they are now.

My Mother retired some years ago.

My Sister is a fair bit younger that me and is in a Hospice and will not see Christmas.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My Mother was a teacher and more recently so was my sister.

Sorry to hear about your sister but I noted the use of the past tense.

I 'escaped' (God bless redundancy) 10 years ago.

From what I hear from friends who are still in harness things have got worse since then.

ETA Snap Tony!

Edited by Victor Vectis

5 hours ago, MtB said:

Another that gets my goat is when people use "affect" and "effect" interchangeably, as though they have the same meaning. 

Some of us are unable to remember as the words are so similar. Think yourself lucky you can spell without any problem, not something every one can do.

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Teachers, men amongst boys, boys amongst men.

I see that the hook sank deep, barbs and all.

I do know lots of teachers, some good, some terrible human beings who should never have been let loose on children.

I have vague recollections of school days with 6 week wonder de-mobbed teachers who were appalling. Some were perverts, some grossly ineffective, some sadists. Many seriously flawed personalities.

My offspring encountered the same, with a heavy dose of very left wing political indoctrination which caused some ructions in the family.

I do hope things have changed. Small wonder that my generation were less than impressed.

Again, more use of the past tense.

My son gave up teaching after 3 years. The school was more focussed on not attracting the attention of OFSTED than giving the pupils a good education. He was told not to make too many spelling corrections to written work to avoid discouraging the pupils with all the red ink.  What good is that he said, writing job applications full of spelling and grammatical errors isn't going to enhance their employment prospects, but the school didn't want lots of corrections and that was that. Likewise, bad behaviour seldom led to sanctions as too many records of sanctions would not look good.  He is now a chartered accountant and has a life that includes free time and does not involve evenings and weekends spent  compiling the data required to ensure all  the boxes are ticked, but seldom get looked at. 

English composition now often involves the teacher providing a "writing frame" where the pupil only has to provide the odd word to complete the sentences.  

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My son gave up teaching after 3 years. The school was more focussed on not attracting the attention of OFSTED than giving the pupils a good education. He was told not to make too many spelling corrections to written work to avoid discouraging the puplis with all the red ink.  What good is that he said, writing job applications full of spelling and grammatical errors isn't going to enhance their employment prospects, but the school didn't want lots of corrections and that was that. Likewise, bad behaviour seldom led to sanctions as too many records of sanctions would not look good.  He is now a chartered accountant and has a life that includes free time and does not involve evenings and weekends spent  compiling the data required to ensure all  the boxes are ticked, but seldom get looked at. 

English composition now often involves the teacher providing a "writing frame" where the pupil only has to provide the odd word to complete the sentences.  

All of which is basically saying that a lot of the problems are the box-ticking culture of OFSTED (who are doing what the government tells them to do), not the fault of teachers -- who as you say, work *far* longer hours than the *official* ones.

Blaming the teachers for this is making them scapegoats for bad government policymaking -- but then this tactic is government policy in so many areas, blame somebody else to divert attention away for who actually *caused* the problem... 😞

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My son gave up teaching after 3 years. The school was more focussed on not attracting the attention of OFSTED than giving the pupils a good education. He was told not to make too many spelling corrections to written work to avoid discouraging the pupils with all the red ink.  What good is that he said, writing job applications full of spelling and grammatical errors isn't going to enhance their employment prospects, but the school didn't want lots of corrections and that was that. Likewise, bad behaviour seldom led to sanctions as too many records of sanctions would not look good.  He is now a chartered accountant and has a life that includes free time and does not involve evenings and weekends spent  compiling the data required to ensure all  the boxes are ticked, but seldom get looked at. 

So is this an argument againt teachers in general or the way teachers are being forced to work in order to fit the OFSTED framework?

ETA And what all this has to do with narrowboat plumbing is beyond me but this is a discussion forum, innit?

Edited by Victor Vectis

5 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

So is this an argument againt teachers in general or the way teachers are being forced to work in order to fit the OFSTED framework?

I couldn’t work that out either. 
But wanted to give a greenie for his lad who escaped to a better life. 

I usually find that those who hold a grievance about education and teachers were usually little shits at school. 

A bit like criminals moaning about coppers. 

42 minutes ago, IanD said:

All of which is basically saying that a lot of the problems are the box-ticking culture of OFSTED (who are doing what the government tells them to do), not the fault of teachers -- who as you say, work *far* longer hours than the *official* ones.

Blaming the teachers for this is making them scapegoats for bad government policymaking -- but then this tactic is government policy in so many areas, blame somebody else to divert attention away for who actually *caused* the problem... 😞

Precisely. 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

My extensive experience of being taught by them for 11 years in a rough state skool.

How long ago -- 40 years or so?

There were some lazy and rubbish teachers around then (I was taught by some too, I remember a doddery old geography teacher who turned up more than once in his pyjamas...) due to almost complete lack of supervision, just like there were some who were serial child abusers whose activities were swept under the carpet -- especially in boarding schools, but not just there. But there were also plenty of dedicated and excellent teachers, and luckily I was taught by some of them too.

Nowadays the abusers and shirkers have (hopefully) been mostly weeded out, but the current box-ticking OFSTED culture has taken top-down control by people who don't actually understand teaching too far... 😞

In case you haven't realised, things have changed since you were a lad... 😉

Edited by IanD

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My Mother retired some years ago.

My Sister is a fair bit younger that me and is in a Hospice and will not see Christmas.

I am really sorry to hear that and wish you both well in the coming trials. I will not pursue your response further.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, MtB said:

My extensive experience of being taught by them for 11 years in a rough state skool.

I think that you might have got the tail end of the post WW2 emergency teachers and I agree that many of them were not up to the job. We had one suffering from Shell Shock, so the first task of each lesson was for the class oafs in the class to work him up until he shook and walked out. He should have been off long term sick or fond a less stressful job.