Narrow boat plumbing

Featured Posts

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

You do NOT need a pressure gauge to set accumulator pressure correctly. I have explained how many times.

Yes thanks Tracy, I only wanted to check if there is any pressure in the accumator. Anyway I'm not going to touch anything until something else changes  

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

I've been in bed for the last week, as it happens, and though Sowerby Bridge has two bike shops neither sell  pumps with a gauge for under £39 and  none sell tyre gauges. Also I was not sure if one was required at the time.

I'm afraid I would not know what individual parts of the pump are .

There is wooden bulkhead forward of the pump, requires me to scrabble on hands and knees to remove a little door which may indeed hide a strainer.

There is an auto shop I'll buy a gauge, and if that helps i can buy a bike pump. 

But at the moment I'm waiting for a second opinion in person The first person who came was deaf, never looked at anything  said buy another pump then left.

A week!!! You must have bed sores.

• Haha 1

Just now, bizzard said:

A week!!! You must have bed sores.

A simple check if there's air in the accumulator. Remove valve cap, if there is one. in the valve entry you will see a pin, like the knob of a dress makers knob pin. Poke it in with a matchstick, nail or something. If there's any air in it it will hiss out. Just the same as letting someones car tyre down.

• Happy 1

20 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You do NOT need a pressure gauge to set accumulator pressure correctly. I have explained how many times.

Yes thanks Tracy, I only wanted to check if there is any pressure in the accumulator. Anyway I'm not going to touch anything unless something else changes.

Everything back to normal after a week of Churning. Just as well, I left it.

I'll have a look at Tony's site to see if I can relate to my system, which of course is nonstandard with a back boiler and a Webasto

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'll have a look at Tony's site to see if I can relate to my system, which of course is nonstandard with a back boiler and a Webasto

That is not particularly non-standard as far as the boat HEATING is concerned and the boat heating has absolutely nothing to do with the DOMESTIC water system, apart from the heating system will usually pass its hot water through a coil in the calorifier to heat the domestic hot water. It is this lack of very basic knowledge that leads to confusion and wrong conclusions. My site does not deal with domestic heating systems because that would take a book on its own to cover all the different types and variations, but much could be got from a book on domestic plumbing once you realise that a calorifier is the same as an indirect domestic hot water cylinder but stronger. Then you have to get your head around why accumulators, expansion vessels, the PRV and any non- eturn valves.

23 hours ago, LadyG said:

Ive gathered a lot of valuable information on this thread, but hope I don't ever have to start trying to repair anything. 

Well you're bound to need to repair or modify parts of your plumbing system from time to time, even if it's just adjusting accumulator pressure, changing the pump, cleaning out the strainer or adding a strainer of you don't have one.

Diesel heaters and central heating systems are a bit trickier, but something as basic as your domestic freshwater system really isn't that difficult and something you should understand if you live on a boat.

Edited by blackrose

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is not particularly non-standard as far as the boat HEATING is concerned and the boat heating has absolutely nothing to do with the DOMESTIC water system, apart from the heating system will usually pass its hot water through a coil in the calorifier to heat the domestic hot water. It is this lack of very basic knowledge that leads to confusion and wrong conclusions. My site does not deal with domestic heating systems because that would take a book on its own to cover all the different types and variations, but much could be got from a book on domestic plumbing once you realise that a calorifier is the same as an indirect domestic hot water cylinder but stronger. Then you have to get your head around why accumulators, expansion vessels, the PRV and any non- eturn valves.

Yes Tony, I understand that, thanks. Im just not really interested in plumbing! So it's hard going!

I'm no good at fixing things so have had to rely on other people, I find most professional assistance  is not reliable Not doing what they agreed to do is routine practice 

So as long as things keep working  with basic maintenance,  I 

do that and when they stop working I will investigate.

I expected to have to replace things in a twenty year old boat, but I didn't expect to have to learn how to fit out a boat!

• 5 weeks later...
On 23/10/2022 at 09:00, LadyG said:

Yes Tony, I understand that, thanks. Im just not really interested in plumbing! So it's hard going!

I'm no good at fixing things so have had to rely on other people, I find most professional assistance  is not reliable Not doing what they agreed to do is routine practice 

So as long as things keep working  with basic maintenance,  I 

do that and when they stop working I will investigate.

I expected to have to replace things in a twenty year old boat, but I didn't expect to have to learn how to fit out a boat!

This is generally the biggest problem - people with boats who aren't really interested in how they work. I often get neighbours telling me about problems they have, but as soon as I start to explain what the problem might be and how to investigate and potentially fix it they glaze over and it becomes pretty obvious that they aren't really interested.

These people have 2 choices: 1) Get interested, listen to advice and learn how to fix things. 2) Carry on paying exorbitant prices to the often unreliable tradespeople.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, blackrose said:

This is generally the biggest problem - people with boats who aren't really interested in how they work. I often get neighbours telling me about problems they have, but as soon as I start to explain what the problem might be and how to investigate and potentially fix it they glaze over and it becomes pretty obvious that they aren't really interested.

These people have 2 3 choices: 1) Get interested, listen to advice and learn how to fix things. 2) Carry on paying exorbitant prices to the often unreliable tradespeople. 3) Get rid of the boat.

FTFY 🙂

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

These people have 2 choices: 1) Get interested, listen to advice and learn how to fix things. 2) Carry on paying exorbitant prices to the often unreliable tradespeople.

Point of Order....

That's one choice.

One choice between two options, or three options given IanD's interjection. 

:)

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Lol mine too, along with "less" when it should be "fewer".

I blame the English teachers....

Don't blame the poor teachers, there are more pupils and less of them than there used to be... 😉

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, IanD said:

Don't blame the poor teachers, there are more pupils and less of them than there used to be... 😉

The teachers are not doing their jobs properly?  Too busy planning strikes and taking days off. They are all part-timers anyway, a proper job would cripple them.

• Angry 1

I wonder if some of the issues we see with use of the English language nowadays stems from the fact that the current generation of teachers were not taught 'properly' as their teachers either did not know or were not bothered.  I, too, get annoyed by 'less' and 'fewer' being used inappropriately - plus various others!

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Lol mine too, along with "less" when it should be "fewer".

I blame the English teachers....

To quote the old saying "Those that can, do - those than cannot, teach"

Maybe that is the root of the problem.

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Another that gets my goat is when people use "affect" and "effect" interchangeably, as though they have the same meaning. 

Lets throw in "Inquiry" and "Enquiry" as well.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Angry 1

57 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The teachers are not doing their jobs properly?  Too busy planning strikes and taking days off. They are all part-timers anyway, a proper job would cripple them.

I guess you -- and Alan -- don't know any teachers then...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You do have a habit of making assumptions - Why would you 'guess' that ?

Because if you did neither of you would have made such derogatory comments about them. If you think teaching is easy or only for lazy non-go-getters (i.e. people unlike you) I suggest you try talking to some actual teachers today, instead of reading the Daily Wail -- or regurgitating its opinions if you don't read it, sorry for my assumption... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, MtB said:

My impression is teaching is one of those jobs you can put as much into, or as little into, as your conscience allows. 

And that impression is based on... ?

I dare say you're correct in theory just like for any job, but I know several current teachers (and my mum was one) and funnily enough they all seem to be committed to their job and work their nuts off.

Of course I'm sure *somebody* will say "this isn't a valid statistical sample of *all* teachers" -- but then it does seems strange that none of the ones *I* know are lazy freeloaders...

(and do *they* know any, or are they just regurgitating Daily Wail bile?)

Oh dear, I seem to be making assumptions again -- but at least mine are based on what I know and see, not just what I read or a mate down the pub says... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

My impression is teaching is one of those jobs you can put as much into, or as little into, as your conscience allows. 

I think that these days that is no longer true. OFSTED and SATS will ensure that if you are lazy you will be out.  

Just as an example. I have been told on numerous occasions that I needed a lesson plan for each individual student. This included practical workshop lessons when I had no idea what vehicles would be available to me or the state of those vehicles until I got into the workshop.  Now, let's say that you have managed to book four or five boiler sort-outs for a day and you were expected to write out a detailed plan for how you would carry out each job and what the outcome would be before you even got into your van. Now multiply that up by the number in a typical class. Oh, and by the way Gas Safe & trading standards could be around at any time and demand to see your paperwork with sanctions if it is not to their liking, however well you actually performed. No schools but FE and I think schools are arguably worse.

Another classic. Each pupal should have individual work sheets but by the way photo copying is severely limited and we can only have (say) 20 sheets of paper per week. How do you solve that one without spending your own money on paper etc. Likewise all the other equipment needed to teach a class.

People need to get it into their heads that the teacher contract is NOT for 52 weeks a year attendance minus x day holiday. It is to attend and work for a fewer number of weeks. The salary for those fewer weeks is then divided by 12 to give a monthly income. The fact the planning, task production and marking takes longer than the contracted hours seems to be ignored by the wail readers, but I bet many of them would be up in arms if their boss unilaterally gave them extra works and demanded they complete it for no extra pay before getting time to themselves.

If teaching is the doddle portrayed then why is the time sent teaching been gradually falling and the staff turnover rate so high. If you stay in teaching for more than a very few years it is because you are dedicated to helping young people, not because it is an easy job, it is not, it is dammed hard work.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, IanD said:

And that impression is based on... ?

I dare say you're correct in theory just like for any job, but I know several current teachers (and my mum was one) and funnily enough they all seem to be committed to their job and work their nuts off.

Of course I'm sure *somebody* will say "this isn't a valid statistical sample of *all* teachers" -- but then it does seems strange that none of the ones *I* know are lazy freeloaders...

(and do *they* know any, or are they just regurgitating Daily Wail bile?)

Oh dear, I seem to be making assumptions again -- but at least mine are based on what I know and see, not just what I read or a mate down the pub says... 😉

I am with you on that Ian. My mother was a teacher and so is my daughter, except it seemed all to get too much so she now delivers training courses in numeracy teaching for serving teachers. My so is also a teacher of sorts, a peripatetic music teacher that does not have the same demands for paperwork that classroom teaching does. He also now only works in the private sector which is different again to state schools.