Mooring Methley Bridge

StayingAfloat

Featured Posts

Hi all. I'm on the Calder and Hebble Navigation by Wakefield,  and heading towards Leeds. I need to moor up for the night near Castleford but before it turns off to the Aire and Calder. 

Canalplan ac calls Methley Bridge Boatyard an excellent mooring spot but I'm not sure if it's only private moorings or for boatyard customers only. Does any one here know?

It's my first time on the Caler and Hebble and I'm single handing this part of the journey so am afraid of getting stuck without somewhere to tie up for the night. 

Am meeting a friend who's arriving by public transport so needs to be close to a station. 

Any advice welcome. Thanks! 

13 minutes ago, StayingAfloat said:

Hi all. I'm on the Calder and Hebble Navigation by Wakefield,  and heading towards Leeds. I need to moor up for the night near Castleford but before it turns off to the Aire and Calder. 

Canalplan ac calls Methley Bridge Boatyard an excellent mooring spot but I'm not sure if it's only private moorings or for boatyard customers only. Does any one here know?

It's my first time on the Caler and Hebble and I'm single handing this part of the journey so am afraid of getting stuck without somewhere to tie up for the night. 

Am meeting a friend who's arriving by public transport so needs to be close to a station. 

Any advice welcome. Thanks! 

I dont think they offer moorings for passing boaters but I am happy to be corrected. 

But its not much further to Castleford Cut which is a great place to moor.

If you moor at Castleford cut, go for a walk back round the river, to the left, there's an amazing footbridge over the Weir, including a project boat if you can refloat it😉

My boat is in Castleford Boatyard for survey and 2 pack blacking. Surveyor rescheduled /cancelled today, hospital appt!

It's not a couple of hours up to Lemonroyd from there, good mooring off the river by the marina. Some sights to see over the river, St Aidan's Reserve, a flooded opencast mine that once swallowed the river. The monstrous walking drag bucket crane is worth a look, on the far side of the reserve, near the Cafe.

10 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

If you moor at Castleford cut, go for a walk back round the river, to the left, there's an amazing footbridge over the Weir, including a project boat if you can refloat it😉

L&L short boat Thomas.  It's been discussed on the forum a few times, and the conclusion is that it'll take more than a lick of white paint to restore it!

Thanks for advice all. Just moored up on Castleford cut and it's spot on. I'm single handing so got a bit nervous about winding but everything's so massive here,  it'll be fine🤣

Will check out the weir before I leave in the morning, Jim. Good luck getting the survey done! 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, StayingAfloat said:

Thanks for advice all. Just moored up on Castleford cut and it's spot on. I'm single handing so got a bit nervous about winding but everything's so massive here,  it'll be fine🤣

Will check out the weir before I leave in the morning, Jim. Good luck getting the survey done! 

Check out the old coal chute (if you are a bit geeky about canal history like me). Directly on the moorings.

Best place I’ve found around there is Allerton Bywater, decant moorings, a good fish & chip shop and a decent place for a drink, the Victoria Hotel. The landlord looks after the moorings and the little park. 
  Not many people stop off there but we’ll worth an evening stop over.

On 01/06/2022 at 20:45, StayingAfloat said:

Grrr! Rang boatyard before setting off to be there for survey, surveyor had double booked , he had a hospital appointment. He needs to get his priorities right.🙄

Now rearranged with a different surveyor for July 11th! There's a shortage of surveyors.