Blow yer horn Saturday Noon

canalboat

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Sometimes or even occasionally they might be but for the majority nope

If you don’t like the terms I don’t think in this country you are forced to take the job however….although maybe in the left wing states that some love on here that might be the case…..

18 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I will be blowing my horn for HM the Queen, not for any political party, any merchant sailors, nor for any minister or company CEO.  It is the Queen's Jubilee, no one else's.

Fortunately my horn is currently inoperative so I will disturb no one.

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

If you don’t like the terms I don’t think in this country you are forced to take the job however….although maybe in the left wing states that some love on here that might be the case…..

In an ideal world everyone would be able to have a wide range of contracts and jobs to pick and choose from and maybe you have never been in the situation where you have to take the job on offer but I suggest the great majority don't have either the choice of jobs or the power to negotiate 

Sorry to go all off topic I will back out, enjoy the celebrations 

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

If you don’t like the terms I don’t think in this country you are forced to take the job however….although maybe in the left wing states that some love on here that might be the case….

I'm not sure what country or century you're living in, but it doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to reality.

The point is, if you want a job, any job  you have to accept the contract you are ultimately offered. You can't accept one bit and reject another. The contract is a "top down" process and you're underneath.

I'll tell you what, next time you licence your boat, write a note to say you refuse to accept some of the t&cs that come with it, but you're willing to negotiate your own terms. I believe one or two have tried this already.

Or park your car in a private car park and tell them you'll negotiate your own parking arrangements.

Right wing posturing is all very well, but it doesn't actually lead to sensible discussions.

Oh, and by the way, if you've ever had dealings with the Employment Agency, yes, you are forced to take the job, unless you want to starve if there's no local foodbank. You really do show a remarkable level of ignorance about the country you live in.

And I'll go back on topic too. Enjoy the party, it's what it's for, and let the bunting flutter.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm not sure what country or century you're living in, but it doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to reality.

The point is, if you want a job, any job  you have to accept the contract you are ultimately offered. You can't accept one bit and reject another. The contract is a "top down" process and you're underneath.

I'll tell you what, next time you licence your boat, write a note to say you refuse to accept some of the t&cs that come with it, but you're willing to negotiate your own terms. I believe one or two have tried this already.

Or park your car in a private car park and tell them you'll negotiate your own parking arrangements.

Right wing posturing is all very well, but it doesn't actually lead to sensible discussions.

Oh, and by the way, if you've ever had dealings with the Employment Agency, yes, you are forced to take the job, unless you want to starve if there's no local foodbank. You really do show a remarkable level of ignorance about the country you live in.

I fear it’s you that’s lost their grip on reality….job offers have little to do with boat licensing or parking. And at present if you haven’t noticed there are labour shortages at all levels If you actually want  paid employment rather that sitting on your arse waiting for a handout….everything from the local pub wanting a pot washer to highly skilled work last time I looked…you really should get out more and open your eyes and mind. 

• Haha 1

FFS! isn't this meant to be about respecting the Queen in her Jubilee year?

Blow your horn if you think she has been a credit to the nation.

Post in the politics thread if you wish to demonstrate how anti-royal you are.

It's a free country! (or for you Arthur it's better than Russia!)

• Greenie 4

26 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

In an ideal world everyone would be able to have a wide range of contracts and jobs to pick and choose from and maybe you have never been in the situation where you have to take the job on offer but I suggest the great majority don't have either the choice of jobs or the power to negotiate 

Sorry to go all off topic I will back out, enjoy the celebrations 

Remember he is an employer so the present system works for him - especially as his industry seem to run on short term contract pseudo self-employed labour.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

FFS! isn't this meant to be about respecting the Queen in her Jubilee year?

Blow your horn if you think she has been a credit to the nation.

Post in the politics thread if you wish to demonstrate how anti-royal you are.

It's a free country! (or for you Arthur it's better than Russia!)

Coommon mistake on this forum, thinking a thread subject could be up for discussion. I do apologise. I didn't realise one was only allowed to post if agreeing with the subject. Best make sure the mods are aware of this, as I don't think they are.

I am impressed though that you appear to think Russia is a left wing state (I assume you equate me, mistakenly, with some variation of leftwinger or communist?). Just shows how little some folk know about the world they live in.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Unimpressed 1

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Remember he is an employer so the present system works for him - especially as his industry seem to run on short term contract pseudo self-employed labour.

If I don’t treat decent staff properly they quickly find work with other companies…hence we pay a decent day rate and look after them on the job…and I also work for others…those that pay under the odds or don’t look after the staff with decent meal allowances or lodging soon find they have no crew…so the staff are in effect deciding what terms they accept. 

I do have some vague fond memories of the silver jubilee in 1977 when I was a child. 
I seem to remember a proper street party and space hopper races as part of some game events over in the big park. 
The rest of the jubilees have past me by. 
I think in 2002 the neighbours had a whip around for the street party, we declined and went camping. 
I think there’s been another since 🤷‍♀️
I dare say I’ll go for a pint over the weekend and make like I’m happy to be surrounded amongst the revellers. 
A jubilee’s not gonna stop my fun 👍

53 minutes ago, frangar said:

As you need a device to deliver sound signals as per the bylaws I trust you aren’t moving your craft at present. 

I generally mutter hoot hoot at strategic moments. It is a device to deliver sound signals. There is no  recognised standard as to audibility i believe.

In the past I have employed a trumpet, a whistle a claxon and a kazoo as a signalling system.

I am happy to utilise any at the appropriate moment to celebrate the event.

Do you think the purveyors of duck callers  ( by Royal Appointment) will be opening their establishments during this fest, and if so would  the use of this device on the boat be deemed appropriate.

So if you hear ducks at the appointed hour beware it may herald a grand union motor patriotically painted in coronation colours hurtling round the corner.

Or not.

God save the Queen. 
Most my age know the rest of the anthem. 

30 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Anyone celebrating the jubilee here would get very short shrift from the locals so we will be passing this year

All the more reason to do it.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

All the more reason to do it.

It would not be a good thing to do in a country that has been oppressed by the English for hundreds of years,

Yes most are free of the British but not all of them, there are still areas where its better not to admit you are English

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It would not be a good thing to do in a country that has been oppressed by the English for hundreds of years,

Yes most are free of the British but not all of them, there are still areas where its better not to admit you are English

North Devon?  LOL.

So where are you?

47 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I do have some vague fond memories of the silver jubilee in 1977 when I was a child. 
I seem to remember a proper street party and space hopper races as part of some game events over in the big park. 
The rest of the jubilees have past me by. 
I think in 2002 the neighbours had a whip around for the street party, we declined and went camping. 
I think there’s been another since 🤷‍♀️
I dare say I’ll go for a pint over the weekend and make like I’m happy to be surrounded amongst the revellers. 
A jubilee’s not gonna stop my fun 👍

77 was fantastic. The weather was bloody lovely and I and many many others rammed the pubs for the duration. We had a ball. Here in Wales now where I live, a Plaid Cymru county many parties are booked. All the pubs, shope, caffs etc etc here are joning in big time, kicking off tomorrow. The anti monarchists can stop at home with their little wet blankets, the majority, will be out in force having a great time.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

77 was fantastic. The weather was bloody lovely and I and many many others rammed the pubs for the duration. We had a ball. Here in Wales now where I live, a Plaid Cymru county many parties are booked. All the pubs, shope, caffs etc etc here are joning in big time, kicking off tomorrow. The anti monarchists can stop at home with their little wet blankets, the majority, will be out in force having a great time.

I was a Nursing Auxiliary at St. Lukes Hospital in Middlesbrough.

The ward staff wheeled the patients who were well enough down the long drive to the hospital to see her Madge and Phil the Greek whiz past us on Marton Road.

The patients loved it.

24 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Please note my laughing emoji is because of how pathetic this post sounds.