Blow yer horn Saturday Noon

canalboat

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Sadly we have no boat horn to blow but we are having a big family/friends Jubilee BBQ on Thursday.

We also have no boat horn to blow but we will stand on the harbour wall in Southwold on Saturday and watch the boats there blowing their horns instead.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Higgs said:

They did bugger all about it, because it would have had consequences for thousands of businesses that also treat their staff that way. I don't agree with it, but you and others should wake up; it is as a consequence of the prevailing attitude of fawning over business and commerce. The EU mob. Rather than preside over a system that responds to social needs, they promoted the neoliberal, the total opposite, and have run employment contracts into the ground.  

And for all those that think republicanism is the way, think of Trump. 

You may not have noticed, but we have left the EU. If we hadn't, they couldn't have done it. Just saying.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

??

Well done though for using it.

Off to put the bunting up on the house and in the garden now. TTFN.

Jolly good! I have no objection to bread and circuses (as long as we are sllowed to say that's what they are) as a distraction from the general awfulness and a bit of fun is a good thing.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You may not have noticed, but we have left the EU. If we hadn't, they couldn't have done it. Just saying.

They've been doing it all the time, during our time in the EU. Nothing stopped them then, and now, things don't alter like magic, in five minutes. This is not in the political section, so I would refrain from more politics here. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

17 minutes ago, Higgs said:

They've been doing it all the time, during our time in the EU. Nothing stopped them then, and now, things don't alter like magic, in five minutes. This is not in the political section, so I would refrain from more politics here. 

Yes, lets not infest this thread as well with any political posturing please.  If you want an argument, political or otherwisw this is not the place.

Get a soap box and go to Downing Street.       

Royalist and proud, Long Live The Monarchy. 

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1
  • Angry 1

1st.JPG.02eeb45c4233de1b1b293c78306d75cc.JPG

Edited by Higgs

18 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes, lets not infest this thread as well with any political posturing please.  If you want an argument, political or otherwisw this is not the place.

Get a soap box and go to Downing Street.       

Royalist and proud, Long Live The Monarchy. 

That's quite funny, pretending being a monarchist is not political.

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Cavaliers? Bunch of long haired layabouts.

I had a vauxhall cavalier once, they told me it was a 1.3, turned out it had the old 1256 OHV engine in it, I was scarred for life. Power to the people...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

That's quite funny, pretending being a monarchist is not political.

No it's not, and there is nom pretending involved. Our monarch is above party politics.

Just now, Orwellian said:

There's a difference between political & party political. A monarchy is a political concept.

Well, yes, much like a president or dictator but both of those can and do bend politicians and countrymen to their will. All the UK monarch can do is advise the political classes so I would say our monarchy is about as non-political as it can be. Being hereditary it also puts it beyond the political gerrymandering that would go on if the head of state was elected. (Why do you think we will be expected to produce ID if we want to vote as an  example.)

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well, yes, much like a president or dictator but both of those can and do bend politicians and countrymen to their will. All the UK monarch can do is advise the political classes so I would say our monarchy is about as non-political as it can be. Being hereditary it also puts it beyond the political gerrymandering that would go on if the head of state was elected. (Why do you think we will be expected to produce ID if we want to vote as an  example.)

Sadly, as we now know  that isn't true, unless you accept getting the government to amend tax law in your favour is just down to "advice". I suppose it could be.

Anyway, wasn't this bank holiday originally going to be for

the Brexit Festival, or was that another one?

The most satisfactory thing about it for the powers that be must be they've got a whacking great festival of fun and frolics going on, celebrating the richest person in the country, just about all of which is being paid for by the punters themselves. It's no wonder Royalty never carries money.

But it'll be fun, and that's what matters. I'm having a good time,  too.

A president or a dictator is only a substitute for a monarch. It's the hereditary side that makes a difference. But a dictator has the kind of power we have removed from the monarchy, which is now a relatively non partisan position. Unlikely to be the case with a president.  

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The most satisfactory thing about it for the powers that be must be they've got a whacking great festival of fun and frolics going on, celebrating the richest person in the country, just about all of which is being paid for by the punters themselves. It's no wonder Royalty never carries money.

But it'll be fun, and that's what matters. I'm having a good time,  too.

The systems that run our country are in no small part down to the monarchy. Laws, civil service, parliament, all had beginnings over a thousand years ago. 

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I assume that those who are still in employment and are not in favour of the Jubilee celebrations will not be accepting the extra holidays this weekend. 😊

Extra holiday my ass

If your contract of employment is worded as many are "Holiday entitlement is 28days holiday including 8 bank holidays"  or  "20days holiday plus 8 bank holidays"

how many extra days will you get?

Zero is the answer. 

Only if it's worded "20 days plus bank holidays" will you be entitled to the extra day.

I know two people that are very fed up because their contract doesn't give them the extra day.

Both have to take a days normal holiday to cover it as the company is closed for that extra day. In the same way that they have to use holiday up when the company closes between Christmas and New Year.

Edited by Loddon

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Extra holiday my ass

If your contract of employment is worded as many are "Holiday entitlement is 28days holiday including 8 bank holidays"  or  "20days holiday plus 8 bank holidays"

Zero is the answer. 

Only if it's worded "20 days plus bank holidays" will you be entitled to the extra day.

I know two people that are very fed up because their contract doesn't give them the extra day.

Both have to take a days normal holiday to cover it as the company is closed for that extra day. In the same way that they have to use holiday up when the company closes between Christmas and New Year.

They signed the contract when they took the employment. Not sure they can complain about that now!

12 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Extra holiday my ass

Zero is the answer. 

Then they were the idiots for agreeing the terms….

58 minutes ago, Higgs said:

The systems that run our country are in no small part down to the monarchy. Laws, civil service, parliament, all had beginnings over a thousand years ago. 

Oh good grief. You're crediting the monarchy with Magna Carta?

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I assume that those who are still in employment and are not in favour of the Jubilee celebrations will not be accepting the extra holidays this weekend. 😊

I will be very, very, very close to work whilst doing the BCN does that count?

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Then they were the idiots for agreeing the terms….

You don't get the option when offered a contract. That's why an employer can change the terms and conditions of your contract on a whim  and you accept it or lose your job. Contract law, interestingly, is the last bit of feudal law still in existence. History is fascinating, as long as you look at it objectively and without prejudice. 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You don't get the option when offered a contract. That's why an employer can change the terms and conditions of your contract on a whim  and you accept it or lose your job. Contract law, interestingly, is the last bit of feudal law still in existence. History is fascinating, as long as you look at it objectively and without prejudice. 

The choice is you either accept or walk….if you don’t like the terms and stay then that’s your own fault. 

13 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

But surely contracts are often negotiated between employers and employees?