Blow yer horn Saturday Noon

canalboat

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

West coast of Ireland.

Nice, 

But as they are not part of the United Kingdom why would they celebrate it anyway?

If you chose to celebrate it there you'd obviously be on your own doing so. The whole point of a proper celebration is to celebrate it with others.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Coommon mistake on this forum, thinking a thread subject could be up for discussion. I do apologise. I didn't realise one was only allowed to post if agreeing with the subject. Best make sure the mods are aware of this, as I don't think they are.

I am impressed though that you appear to think Russia is a left wing state (I assume you equate me, mistakenly, with some variation of leftwinger or communist?). Just shows how little some folk know about the world they live in.

I just think I'll blow my horn for an old lady who has been a remarkable and durable sovereign.

One is free to do what one wishes unlike in Russia. Whether or not it's left-wing I don't care, but you still face jail if you oppose the establishment view. 

"I assume you equate me, mistakenly, with some variation of leftwinger or communist?"

Not at all I don't label or judge and having met you I think you are a pretty good bloke.

Edited by Midnight

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Nice, 

But as they are not part of the United Kingdom why would they celebrate it anyway?

If you chose to celebrate it there you'd obviously be on your own doing so. The whole point of a proper celebration is to celebrate it with others.

It is great and a wonderful place to be, strangely its been sunny since we got here ;)

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

I was speaking at a forensic mental health conference in sydney in 2006 when one of the nurses phones went off with that ringtone.

He got an appreciative round of applause from the stage.

What do you expect from what’s basically a bunch of ex cons?? 

The puzzle I have over Grant Shapps suggestion is what is the particular relevance of 4th June?:huh:

Hornblowing tomorrow (2nd of June) and you could be celebrating the date on which the Coronation took place, hornblowing on 6th February and you could be celebrating the date she acceded to the throne, what of any Royal interest ever happened on 4th June? This sounds like a bit of an artificial construct to me.

13 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The puzzle I have over Grant Shapps suggestion is what is the particular relevance of 4th June?:huh:

Hornblowing tomorrow (2nd of June) and you could be celebrating the date on which the Coronation took place, hornblowing on 6th February and you could be celebrating the date she acceded to the throne, what of any Royal interest ever happened on 4th June? This sounds like a bit of an artificial construct to me.

A bit like her birthday then?

I think sometimes its possible to over analyse something.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

A bit like her birthday then?

I think sometimes its possible to over analyse something.

Nope, that would have been either yesterday (31st May, Official Birthday) or 21st April (the day that she was born). This is just some random date picked out of the air, of no real relevance. I suppose one could say that next time boy racers come driving along local roads blasting their horns they should be above criticism since they too could be randomly celebrating something or other:huh:

• Unimpressed 1

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Nope, that would have been either yesterday (31st May, Official Birthday) or 21st April (the day that she was born). This is just some random date picked out of the air, of no real relevance. I suppose one could say that next time boy racers come driving along local roads blasting their horns they should be above criticism since they too could be randomly celebrating something or other:huh:

I think its possible to over analyse something.

Ps I know the relevant dates, and did say 'a bit like'. The clue is the word 'bit'. Which when I went to school didn't mean 'exactly the same as'.

52 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

As I recall, being a student of these things, it (a new bank holiday) was originally proposed by Peter Bone (Conservative back bencher) as "United Kingdom Day" as a celebration of Brexit, to take place on the Friday nearest to 29th June (anniversary of referendum I think), and also to incorporate celebrations of the Jubilee and Queen's birthday. When,  for reasons which escape me utterly, it was decided to scrap all mention of Brexit, it got moved to early June, rebadged as Platinum Jubilee day, and tagged on to the rest of the holiday as being less disruptive.  At the same time, the originally proposed year long "Festival of Brexit" was repackaged as, I think  "Unboxed" and is going on in various places to celebrate British creativity.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Well did you?

As said we didn't have one to blow, but we had a cracking family/friends BBQ on Thursday with some sore heads on Friday to prove it!!

18 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Well did you?

No, all quiet here

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

As said we didn't have one to blow, but we had a cracking family/friends BBQ on Thursday with some sore heads on Friday to prove it!!

a sore head here too, but that’s seems to be a standard 

On 01/06/2022 at 20:41, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The Queen chose not to use the date that she officially became the Queen as that was the day here father passed away and she didn't feel it right to celebrate on that day.

I think a very valid point on her behalf.

This weekend is the closest weekend after her official birthday hence why it was chosen.

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

There was a load here at my marina that did! Well done to all that took part & celebrated. 

Unfortunately due to the blustery north easterlies here there are very few boats in the harbour so it wasn't a very good turn out.

Still well done to those who did take part.

• Greenie 1