Blow yer horn Saturday Noon

canalboat

Featured Posts

12.00 BST, Saturday 4 June 2022

From cruise liners to destroyers, frigates to motor cruisers, narrowboats to ferries, if you’ve got a horn, then blow it!

On Saturday 4 June, to mark the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, there will be a ‘Ships Salute’ where every vessel, in every UK harbour, is being asked to sound a simultaneous long loud blast on their horn or whistle at exactly midday (12.00 BST). 

“As a proud maritime nation and where the name of Her Majesty has graced not only cruise liners but also the largest ship in the Royal Navy fleet, we really want the Maritime sector to show support with Merchant, Naval and leisure vessels alike by marking the Jubilee as a synchronised ‘salute’ from their horn,” RT.Hon. Grant Shapps, Secretary of State for Transport.

Every Royal Navy, Merchant Navy and recreational vessel regardless of size, class and category is invited to join the Ships Salute. Pre-registration is not required.

“The Ships Salute is a fitting way for the maritime sector to join the weekend of public celebrations for The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. The salute is both simple and universal and we hope as many people as possible get involved,” commented Sarah Treseder, CEO, UK Chamber of Shipping.

So, whatever your vessel or whatever else is happening, make sure you put a reminder in your calendar and join in the fun! Don’t forget to tell your berthholders, customers and visitors and get as many people involved as possible.

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A proud maritime nation?

Haven't we just colluded in the sacking of nearly a thousand sailor chappies?

My horn shall remain, sadly, resolutely unblown...

Overseen by the very same Secretary of State for Transport, who did nothing.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2

54 minutes ago, canalboat said:

12.00 BST, Saturday 4 June 2022

From cruise liners to destroyers, frigates to motor cruisers, narrowboats to ferries, if you’ve got a horn, then blow it!

What if you don't happen to be a supporter of the monarchy? 🤔

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Then don't blow your horn, simple.  Unlike many countries we have no compulsion to do such things or be treated as a political prisoner.

• Greenie 4

9 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Surely the answer to that question is bleedin' obvious.

Strewth....

Just now, Higgs said:

All those that dislike the monarchy can FO. You high jacked the other thread, too. 

Im not sure I know what you are on about. (If that is aimed at me).

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Then use the bloody quote function.

It saves a lot of potential misunderstanding.

What for? It was directed at no particular one of those that dislike the monarchy. 

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

What for? It was directed at no particular one of those that dislike the monarchy. 

I've already stated why.

And its lazy.

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

All those that dislike the monarchy can FO. You high jacked the other thread, too. 

This isn't hijacking a thread. This is discussing why some of us think suggesting blowing our horns to celebrate something we dislike intensely is simply cretinous, especially when done by someone who happily watched hundreds of seamen dumped out of their jobs and did bugger all about it.

Suggesting we should regard Britain currently as a proud maritime nation is just insulting our intelligence. The only thing we ever produced in any quantity during the "golden age of British shipping" was pirates and slavers. You be proud of it. I'm not.

There were incredibly brave sailors in the merchant navy who kept this country going during the 2nd world war. Their reward was, well,  show me our current merchant navy and who mans it. Proud if it? No. Pure hypocrisy.

• Greenie 5
  • Unimpressed 1

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I will be blowing my horn for HM the Queen, not for any political party, any merchant sailors, nor for any minister or company CEO.  It is the Queen's Jubilee, no one else's.

Sadly we have no boat horn to blow but we are having a big family/friends Jubilee BBQ on Thursday.

11 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I will be blowing my horn for HM the Queen, not for any political party, any merchant sailors, nor for any minister or company CEO.  It is the Queen's Jubilee, no one else's.

Exactly!!  Some just want to make everything political….well those sad b’stards can do as they please…won’t be able to hear their bleating over the blast of horns anyhow. 

• Greenie 3

11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

This isn't hijacking a thread. This is discussing why some of us think suggesting blowing our horns to celebrate something we dislike intensely is simply cretinous, especially when done by someone who happily watched hundreds of seamen dumped out of their jobs and did bugger all about it.

They did bugger all about it, because it would have had consequences for thousands of businesses that also treat their staff that way. I don't agree with it, but you and others should wake up; it is as a consequence of the prevailing attitude of fawning over business and commerce. The EU mob. Rather than preside over a system that responds to social needs, they promoted the neoliberal, the total opposite, and have run employment contracts into the ground.  

And for all those that think republicanism is the way, think of Trump. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Higgs said:

They did bugger all about it, because it would have had consequences for thousands of businesses

wasn't it because P&O is now a foreign-owned company, over whom Britain has no jurisdiction?

Just now, Athy said:

wasn't it because P&O is now a foreign-owned company, over whom Britain has no jurisdiction?

I was making the post in reference to a vote that took place in parliament, that failed, that might have curbed some of the bad aspects of employment contracting.

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

No more lazy, in this case, than placing a public sign anywhere. 

??

Well done though for using it.

Off to put the bunting up on the house and in the garden now. TTFN.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

??

Well done though for using it.

Off to put the bunting up on the house and in the garden now. TTFN.

Well, it was a notice specific to a group, not an individual. 😊