Shroppie Fly

IanD

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Peel the stickers off and rearrange. 

If you prise one of the corners off, turn it through 90 degrees either way and then snap it back in you end up with an unsolvable ( insoluble?) cube. Great for handing to people who could solve them until they twigged it had been fixed.

• Haha 1

Went to a pub for a meal tonight - last went here 5 and 6 years ago and really enjoyed. Tonight was a pale imitation with lots of signs of cost and corner cutting. All very understandable in the present situation but none the less somewhat disappointing.

3 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Yeah, I used to be able to do that back in the day. I had read/learnt the technique somewhere, not sure where as it was many years before the internet. A classic case of easy when you know how.

Long since forgotten how to do it though.

I was taught by a mate of mine. It takes about one minute to solve one once you've got slick at it. But like you I've long forgotten the last, long move of (something like) 27 turns to rotate one corner cube without disturbing any of the other sub-cubes.

16 hours ago, Hastings said:

Update on the Shroppie Fly - we live next door.  It's closed today, as it's their day off.  A sign on the door says they will be open this Friday - Saturday from 12.00 - 6.00, then the pub will close till a new licensee is found by Heineken/Star Pubs.  Apparently, they have not been able to recruit staff, and without staff, a proper food menu can't be offered.  And I suspect that without food, the pub won't be financially viable.

Interesting. We passed the Top Lock pub yesterday at the top of Johnson’s Hillock flight. When here six years ago the pub was a right throbber, people everywhere, on lock beams, benches, tow path, everywhere. Anyway it’s presently closed. Closed in March apparently. Whilst getting water we chatted to a lass on one of the permanent moorings there and she told us it got new tenant and they did it up a bit and put in ‘fancy food’ and diversified into the ‘Gin’ palace outlet. Trade fell dramatically.

Theres a sign on the wall of the pub advertising for a new leasee and stating it due a refurb. There’s also a logo of Star pubs. Allegedly the pub co increased the rent considerably as the pub became busier, a typical practice exercised since the seventies or even before when my parents ran pubs for Bass Charrington.

It’s no wonder popular pubs become unpopular as tenants come and go, pubs close and open and close and open. A regular like their locals to be consistent and open when they fancy a pint or three. As do passing boaters also for that matter.

Star must be losing income no end with at least two pubs unstable that I know of. There may well be more. A sad situation.

Edited by Nightwatch