Water tank size

cheesegas

Featured Posts

Hi all. Spent a couple of years on my first boat (45' Liverpool) and we now are after something a bit longer. Done plenty to this boat and will probably do the same again but better, now I know better what we need from a liveaboard...added a diesel hot air heater, lots of solar, lithium battery, pull out double bed, washing machine etc. After having looked around many friends boats and spent a bit of time on other ones, there's now a wishlist going...about 10' longer, front mounted stove, walk through bathroom, modern engine or vintage engine with canopy genset, proper wide gunnels like my current boat, plenty of windows, cruiser stern or larger than average trad deck. Everything else like solar or radiators are a nice plus but not a deal breaker.

Prices are still a bit nuts so probably won't buy until the end of the year, but we've been looking at what's available. There's quite a bit out there which matches, but the sticking point is water tank size. Currently we have a 1000 litre tank (no well deck, just tank!) which is perfect, never have to really worry about water usage, lasts 2 weeks with running the little washing machine twice which is nice if we decide to stay in one spot for a while or don't pass a water point. Many other boats however have a 500-600 litre tank, which is on the small side after being used to this luxury; looking at our water meter, it would last until the second midweek washing machine run. A few boats even had a well deck so low it needed its own bilge pump, awful bit of design!

Where else do people put tanks where it doesn't affect the trim too much, as it looks like finding a 1000 litre tank in a boat with all the other layout things I'm after is going to be impossible? Thanks.

How about adding a couple of extra tanks, perhaps one either side & somewhere in the middle of the boat & linking them? TekTanks, e.g. do all sorts of different shapes & sizes as well as bespoke...

Edited by Crewcut
clarification

My old 53’ trad had about 1000 litre tank in the bows. The bow lifted by around 5” from full to empty, and the boat was not a lightweight, built in 10/6/4. 

My preference in a boat will always be a secondhand one that has most of the features that I want, as buying new is financially daft.

• Greenie 1