Gearbox reconditioning???

Featured Posts

Hey 

So I've been having issues with my propella not engaging when in gear. Sometimes it works fine other times there is a delay. 

I had a mechanic come and look and he says I need to have the gearbox out and reconditioned. 

I have a hurth gearbox 

Model no. Zf 10 m

Fitted on a vetus m4 engine

I'm trying to get a quote for how much it will cost to compare it to getting a new gear box. Has anyone had this done before? Or have a contact number of where I need to send it off to to get a quote? 

Any help or information would be much appreciated 

I have someone who can take out and fit the gear box I just need info or contact to get a quote for reconditioning. 

Or alternatively what new gearbox would be recommended? 

Edited by Eloisec93

Not the most reliable of gearboxes. If this were mine I would be looking at the relative costs of reconditioning and fitting & aligning a new mechanical PRM box. The difference may not be as much as you fear. I can't help with a  recommendation though.

Try Marine Engine Services (Midlands). Google will find the phone no.

Richard Powell is a member (RLWP?  or similar) here and has a good reputation.  That is more than can be said for  your ZF  gearbox.

N

Just now, BEngo said:

Try Marine Engine Services (Midlands). Google will find the phone no.

Richard Powell is a member (RLWP?  or similar) here and has a good reputation.  That is more than can be said for  your ZF  gearbox.

N

I was going to suggest Richard but wondered if he would be happy with travelling to the Bristol area.

The ZF box is not in Lister  Blackstone territory size wise, so DHL or the like should be able to shift it to and from  Richard. It isn't that far by road from Brissle either, should the OP decide  to deliver/ collect it.

I was rather assuming that either the OP, or his mechanic, was capable of getting the box out of the boat.

N

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not the most reliable of gearboxes. If this were mine I would be looking at the relative costs of reconditioning and fitting & aligning a new mechanical PRM box. The difference may not be as much as you fear. I can't help with a  recommendation though.

Yup this is why I'm asking for quotes on reconditioning 😊

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yup this is why I'm asking for quotes on reconditioning 😊

9 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Not worth reconditioning, IMHO. Put it in the skip and get a PRM 125, as long as you have space - the PRM is very slightly longer, the the drop is larger, so you’ll need to have the engine mounts raised a bit.

I think a PRM 90 will go straight in, may need minor adjustments?

42 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think a PRM 90 will go straight in, may need minor adjustments?

I've just checked the PRM and ZF drawings, not quite:

• HBW100/ZF10M - Drop 62 - LOA 195 (mounting face to output flange face)
  • PRM120/125 - Drop 72 - LOA 217
  • PRM80/90* - Drop 72 - LOA 196

(* The PRM90 drawing is missing the LOA, but I'm 99% sure it's a straight swap for a PRM80)

When I was looking to replace the (second) failed Hurth/ZF, PRM recommended the 120 over the 80 (as the numbering was then), despite the power rating of the 80 theoretically being big enough to replace the Hurth. I had the engine mounts raised about half an inch on steel blocks, otherwise the engine would have been perched right at the top of the threads, and there is just enough room lenghtways to get the 120 input shaft out of the drive plate without dismantling the coupling off the shaft.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

I've just checked the PRM and ZF drawings, not quite:

• HBW100/ZF10M - Drop 62 - LOA 195 (mounting face to output flange face)
  • PRM120/125 - Drop 72 - LOA 217
  • PRM80/90* - Drop 72 - LOA 196

(* The PRM90 drawing is missing the LOA, but I'm 99% sure it's a straight swap for a PRM80)

When I was looking to replace the (second) failed Hurth/ZF, PRM recommended the 120 over the 80 (as the numbering was then), despite the power rating of the 80 theoretically being big enough to replace the Hurth. I had the engine mounts raised about half an inch on steel blocks, otherwise the engine would have been perched right at the top of the threads, and there is just enough room lenghtways to get the 120 input shaft out of the drive plate without dismantling the coupling off the shaft.

Brilliant research, thank you.

So PRM90 will replace HBW100 with 10mm packing blocks under the mountings or 10mm lift on the threads if possible. Length is 1mm different, no problem.

PRM 125 will fit with same 10mm lift providing you can accommodate a 22mm greater length which should be possible on most boats.  

I understood that PRM90 is the like for like replacement for the PRM80.   Similarly PRM 125 is replacement for PRM120.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I understood that PRM90 is the like for like replacement for the PRM80.   Similarly PRM 125 is replacement for PRM120.

Yes. The newer ones are a bit slimmer, take less ATF, and have easier access to the drain plug (on the side), but the key dimensions are the same.

• Greenie 1