Pushing the boats out for the Platinum Jubilee

Ray T

Featured Posts

CRT PRESS RELEASE

30th May 2022  

PUSHING THE BOATS OUT FOR THE PLATINUM JUBILEE

As Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II celebrates her Platinum Jubilee, national charity the Canal & River Trust has found nearly 350 boats on its 2,000 miles of waterways have names related to the Queen (circa one in every hundred).

66 boats are called Elizabeth or have Elizabeth in their names, while a further 130 contain derivatives such as Liz or Lizzie. There is one Platinum on the charity’s waterways, whilst sovereign titles are also popular, with 144 boat names containing Queen, Princess, or Royal.

Queen Elizabeth II has visited the waterways over the course of her reign, taking in the Leeds & Liverpool Canal as part of her Diamond Jubilee tour in 2012 and the National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port in 1979. She officially reponed the restored Kennet & Avon Canal in 1990, boarding the narrow boat ‘Rose of Hungerford’ at the canal’s famous Caen Hill Flight, where a lock is named in her honour. In Scotland in 2017, she opened the Queen Elizabeth II Canal, linking the Forth & Clyde Canal at the Kelpies with the Firth of Forth.  And, in London, the restored Bow Back Rivers are central to the 2012 Olympic Park named in her honour.

Richard Parry, chief executive at Canal & River Trust, said: “Britain’s waterways have long had a close relationship with royalty: Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II has showed interest in the canals over the course of her reign and we are honoured to have His Royal Highness Prince Charles as our patron.

“The canals are an important part of the nation’s heritage and we are committed to protecting and preserving them for the benefit of all.  Many boat owners are passionate about all aspects of boating, and perhaps the royal titles are a testament to how people see their boats! We wish her Majesty the best for her Platinum Jubilee and encourage boaters and those on the towpath to use the Jubilee celebratory weekend to experience the joys of our wonderful waterways.”

Details of how to volunteer or donate money to support your local canal can be found at: canalrivertrust.org.uk.   

Images of HRH Queen Elizabeth II visiting the Boat Museum at Ellesmere Port in 1979 are attached.

-ends-

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

HRH Queen Elizabeth II being shown round the Boat Museum Ellesmere Port by Dr David Owen 2 November 1979.JPG

HRH Queen Elizabeth II being shown narrow boats at the Boat Museum Ellesmere Port by Dr David Owen 2 November 1979 low res.jpeg

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

CRT PRESS RELEASE

Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II

Oh my godfathers.....was this written by a foreign person unfamiliar with royal terminology, or by a British person who is very thick?

22 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

image.png.ff1d4c79906bbaf0df76c2921b56bb6d.png

Reminds me of the millennium. We live a fair way from the Tees but we could still hear them.

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

oh dear 🙃

Is yours broken?

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Oh my godfathers.....was this written by a foreign person unfamiliar with royal terminology, or by a British person who is very thick?

So are you really saying that you have to be foreign or thick not to know which ridiculous terminology to use?

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'm a devout republican (in the UK sense, not the US) but I know the difference. Apparently these unearned titles mean something to some folk. 

Haven't you spotted the significant differences between our hereditary Head of State and the (presumably) best democratic choice, our elected Prime Minister?

My republican tendencies have taken quite a battering over the last few years ...

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Haven't you spotted the significant differences between our hereditary Head of State and the (presumably) best democratic choice, our elected Prime Minister?

My republican tendencies have taken quite a battering over the last few years ...

Richer and more corrupt?

At least when the PM changes the law in his favour we know about it and can, sooner or later, chuck him/her out.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

snip

At least when the PM changes the law in his favour we know about it and can, sooner or later, chuck him/her out.

At present, but he is doing his best to make that more and more difficult from what I can see.

11 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Asking for a friend, but if they had a kayak and, at said time, happened to emit a 9 second fart (which is wonderfully amplified in said vessel) would that count as a salute with the vessel's whistle?

More likely either a cell in the Tower of London, or a lynching by rabid royalists.

• Greenie 1