Lost hydraulic drive

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

So the rubber cruciform does not have 5 "ears"?

Not 100% sure that this is, but both metal sections have three jaws. It's very very similar to the old part. 

PXL_20220619_195047270_copy_1612x907.jpg.689d1dc1505516a36a39072e721ae279.jpg

Your can see that it looks like it's been welded in the past. 

12 minutes ago, spicemouse said:

Not 100% sure that this is, but both metal sections have three jaws. It's very very similar to the old part. 

Sure has, certainly not new. Perhaps this coupling is the Achilles Heel of the power unit?

I think it might get you out of trouble in the short term but a better solution is needed. I guess when the rubber fails and you get metal to metal contact the alloy quickly fails. You need to avoid any oil getting onto the rubber.

Just now, spicemouse said:

Could be, potential both parts aren't parallel so slowly wears over time. 

Before you commit, could I suggest that you find out the torque and BHP figures for this coupling and your engine to ensure that it is up to the job?

It would be a shame to put it all back together only for it to fail soon after.

If you are going to have to find a better alternative now would be the time to do it.

Sorry to rain on your parade but its odd that there are spare used repaired parts on the boat exactly as those that have failed, it makes me suspicious.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Before you commit, could I suggest that you find out the torque and BHP figures for this coupling and your engine to ensure that it is up to the job?

It would be a shame to put it all back together only for it to fail soon after.

If you are going to have to find a better alternative now would be the time to do it.

Sorry to rain on your parade but its odd that there are spare used repaired parts on the boat exactly as those that have failed, it makes me suspicious.

Bit like keeping the old water pump that only leaks a little bit in case the fitted one fails completely, OK to fit to get you out of the crap, but not the way to go if your at home

2 hours ago, spicemouse said:

I hate to point this out but that part has obviously been fitted before and removed. Look at the spring-washer scores around the bolt holes.

It too might have failed, in some way which only becomes obvious when you fit it back in. I would look carefully into how it might have failed before using it again. It could have failed, then repaired and stored for future use perhaps. That left hand lug looks crudely and messily welded on then machined to part-tidy it up. 

49 minutes ago, MtB said:

that part has obviously been fitted before and removed

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

OK to fit to get you out of the crap

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

you are going to have to find a better alternative now would be the time to do it.

The realities of being a live aboard mean that I am in the crap (only one cassette left, and now very low water). I'm a fair distant from a station and shops. I really do need to get moving soon.

If I can get this fixed and it works for a few months, okay. At least I know how to fix it next time, and how to get the parts. I'll be a few weeks ahead of myself this time. 

It's clearly an old part, whether it came off this boat or was bought as a replacement I'll never know. 

I'll speak to R&D about a new damper, but I'd still need a spacer too. That's weeks away. If this part let's me cruise onwards I'll be happy. 

4 hours ago, spicemouse said:

Anyway, I tried to remove the old flywheel plate but it couldn't fit out the housing.

That's why the spare one has flats on either side - so you can slide it up into the casing and then down again to the correct position before bolting it up.

4 hours ago, spicemouse said:

It looks like a previous owner maybe knew the old coupling was going, as they bought an almost identical TSCHAN damper coupling like the one I took off!

Or maybe this is the original coupling which failed and got replaced by the one you have just removed, and was then repaired with a new resilient insert, and kept as a spare.

What normally happens is the rubber disintegrates,maybe helped by oil,the coupling is then run sans rubber ,and chops itself to pieces............i seem to recall another comment a few days ago about a rattle from the gearbox.....not to worry!