Boat Safety Scheme.

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

Would this have happened if the Boat Safety Scheme was applied to sea going boats in UK coastal marinas?

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/6m-superyacht-carrying-8000-litres-of-fuel-sinks-after-going-up-in-flames-at-british-marina-324475/

Any one care to speculate on the cause? The diesel lines didn't have the correct standards markings? No drip tray under the engine? The filler cap didn't have the correct wording on, or near it? Battery master switch bypassed, without a fuse on that circuit? Insufficient fire extinguishers for the length of boat, or didn't meet the combined A and B rating?

Gutting for the owner, but hopefully they had fully comp insurance and it is unlikely to be their only home.

36 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Any one care to speculate on the cause?

Almost certainly a gas explosion started the fire I'd say, given the local witness accounts I've read of it starting suddenly with an alarmingly loud bang. Some accounts say two consecutive bangs. 

And from the article:

"Grace Kedzior-Macdonough, 20, was visiting the seaside town with her partner when she heard “bangs or explosions” coming from the harbour."

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Almost certainly a gas explosion started the fire I'd say, given the local witness accounts I've read of it starting suddenly with an alarmingly loud bang. Some accounts say two consecutive bangs. 

And from the article:

"Grace Kedzior-Macdonough, 20, was visiting the seaside town with her partner when she heard “bangs or explosions” coming from the harbour."

Battery in the CO alarm corroded and started a fire, setting off the smoke alarm, the switching current which then ignited the hydrogen coming off the batteries which were on charge.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Battery in the CO alarm corroded and started a fire, setting off the smoke alarm, the switching current which then ignited the hydrogen coming off the batteries which were on charge.

Once the fire blanket beside the cooker went up in flames, there was no stopping it.

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ah yes I forgot about that. I always knew CO alarms were dangerous!

But more seriously, I'd expect a tub like that to be totally lithiumed up rather than running on LAs. LAs are so last year don'tcha think?

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Ah yes I forgot about that. I always knew CO alarms were dangerous!

But more seriously, I'd expect a tub like that to be totally lithiumed up rather than running on LAs. LAs are so last year don'tcha think?

If it was on lithiums, they are so last week now.

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Would it be diesel or petrol with a fire like that?

Diesel :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, MtB said:

And from the article:

Probably the jet ski, the three tenders and the car in the garage exploding ;)

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Would this have happened if the Boat Safety Scheme was applied to sea going boats in UK coastal marinas?

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/6m-superyacht-carrying-8000-litres-of-fuel-sinks-after-going-up-in-flames-at-british-marina-324475/

(snip)

:offtopic:  I particularly like the links to other articles in the London Economic.

Not sure if that's an approved investigation technique! :D

• Haha 3