£400 energy bill discount

Lugi

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Lugi said:

Does anyone know if boaters can get this and if so how?

If you mean somebody who lives aboard and doesnt have a house which they pay a utility bill for then I would expect the answer is no.

Leisure boaters and those that go on extended cruises who have a house that they do get a utility bill for will be able to recieve it.

It’s for gas too though right? I dunno was just thinking much of our energy prices will be significantly rising too so would be very helpful for many boater households and probably just has not been thought of by those making the rule

And it’s being paid differently for different households, like households on pay as you go key cards will be able to get a voucher.

I feel like our fuel boats should be helped out similarly to other energy suppliers so that they can offer lower prices 

especially when considering second home owners are getting the discount twice 

Edited by Lugi
  • Greenie 1

Maybe it will be linked to something silly like council tax payments. 

ETA yes I do live on a boat and yes I do pay £1000 a year council tax for my mooring. Might be interesting to have a look at this as also I have mains electric obviously. 

Edited by magnetman

Hm I might message my fuel boat and ask if they are getting a benefit at all

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe it will be linked to something silly like council tax payments. 

ETA yes I do live on a boat and yes I do pay £1000 a year council tax for my mooring. Might be interesting to have a look at this as also I have mains electric obviously. 

Ah I didn’t realise permanent moorings is a council tax, so is it to your local council not to crt? That was the other thing, wasn’t there a council tax rebate last month, I don’t think we get this for crt do we

30 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If you mean somebody who lives aboard and doesnt have a house which they pay a utility bill for then I would expect the answer is no.

Leisure boaters and those that go on extended cruises who have a house that they do get a utility bill for will be able to recieve it.

Yeah I did mean live aboards

If you live on a boat on a residential mooring with planning permission for residential use then yes there is council tax. 

It's not rocket science. 

Looking at this electric Sunak "I want to be the prime minister preferably yesterday" thing it seems to be just bills payers. 

CRT electric is done via the awful "metermacs hateway' pre-paid system so probably isn't covered by the scammy Tory rebate thing. 

Other than that yes if you live somewhere it's not all that unusual to pay council tax. 

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

If you live on a boat on a residential mooring with planning permission for residential use then yes there is council tax

Plus the mooring fee to the mooring operator. Moorings that have planning permission as non-residential, even if you are living on them, do not pay council tax or if they do, it is a sort of composite rate levied on the mooring operator. However, in that case the boater living aboard could be forced to move off with no or minimal notice. No reason need be given. That also applies to a non-residential moorer as well.

My mooring is a CRT residential mooring and "Christ on a bike" I do pay for it !! Individual land addresses for each berth. 

As it happens even on a residential mooring you don't get any security of tenure whatsoever. If the mooring manager at the time deems that you have broken a t&c or anything else then you are gone in a month or two. Nothing doing. You could have lived there for a decade they can get you off within weeks even if you are paying and behaving. 

This boat life lark is full of insecurity but I still love it ! 

Always good to have at least two boats. One with a mooring and one without. Covers all the angles. 

And a super yacht I St Tropèz always handy too ;)

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

My mooring is a CRT residential mooring and "Christ on a bike" I do pay for it !! Individual land addresses for each berth. 

As it happens even on a residential mooring you don't get any security of tenure whatsoever. If the mooring manager at the time deems that you have broken a t&c or anything else then you are gone in a month or two. Nothing doing. You could have lived there for a decade they can get you off within weeks even if you are paying and behaving. 

This boat life lark is full of insecurity but I still love it ! 

Always good to have at least two boats. One with a mooring and one without. Covers all the angles. 

And a super yacht I St Tropèz always handy too ;)

Super yachts have a habit of setting in fire.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/28/firefighters-tackle-huge-fire-on-6m-superyacht-in-torquay

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

If the mooring manager at the time deems that you have broken a t&c or anything else then you are gone in a month or two.

A month or two .................................

We had one moorer that was told (not asked to leave) and he had 1 minute to untie his lines and go.

After arguments with an Axe and line cutting and the Police turning up after hearing 'about threats to life' he was gone.

My understanding is that you get the rebate if you have an electricity meter. If you are in a marina the owners costs won't be capped and there fore they can charge whatever the buying in rate is plus ongoing operational costs (standing charge)

I;m sure Alan has his finger on the pulse

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

My understanding is that you get the rebate if you have an electricity meter.

You get the rebate if you have a domestic electricity supply account in your name. If your electricity is resold to you by your mooring operator (who in turn is supplied on a business tariff), then neither you nor the mooring operator gets any rebate.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

You get the rebate if you have a domestic electricity supply account in your name. If your electricity is resold to you by your mooring operator (who in turn is supplied on a business tariff), then neither you nor the mooring operator gets any rebate.

This is my understanding too, and set to be the next big thing in the news. Small businesses, shops etc on commercial tariffs don't get it, and neither are they subject to the Price Cap so some are seeing their energy bills rise manyfold, (not 'just' triple like domestic customers). This is putting thousands of small businesses and small employers at risk of going under as their fuel bills mop up all the meagre profits they make.

The political dynamite being that these are the same businesses that were kept afloat through covid with £billions spent on them via furlough. Now the govt looks like letting them all go to the wall with the consequent job losses, meaning many of of those furlough £bns spent were a waste of money. 

Edited by MtB
Grammar
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

these are the same businesses that were kept afloat through covid with £billions spent on them via furlough. Now the govt looks like letting them all go to the wall with the consequent job losses, meaning many of of those furlough £bns spent were a waste of money. 

Indeed, few would deny that the (unexpectedly) generous   "furlough" benefits were a lifeline for numerous businesses and, of course, for their staff, so they weren't a waste of money because they protected people's standard of living for however long they were in force (about a year and a half, was it?) But that was under exceptional circumstances; in the long run, if a business can't run at a profit, then does it deserve to survive?

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

if a business can't run at a profit, then does it deserve to survive?

Hmmmm - just consider that by cutting back on maintenance year on year and getting a £50 million subsidy from the (Taxpayer) Government, C&RT just about manage to 'break even'

As a business (a limited company) they are not viable - should they be allowed to 'survive' ?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hmmmm - just consider that by cutting back on maintenance year on year and getting a £50 million subsidy from the (Taxpayer) Government, C&RT just about manage to 'break even'

As a business (a limited company) they are not viable - should they be allowed to 'survive' ?

Of course, because they are not a business, they are a charitable trust.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The true answer to that is no they should not, but as they are not really a proper business but a government confection, different rules apply. In my view what should happen is their business needs analysing to quantify the benefits it brings to the country and the costs of doing so, and then a decision made on how they are to be funded. If necessary closing parts of the system etc. so their income meets their costs or extra income is provided - possibly from government.

I don't see how governments can subsidize for anything but fairly short terms and that is what concerns me about the domestic  fuel situation at present.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Of course, because they are not a business, they are a charitable trust.

But they are a Business and a Limited Company to boot.

In the real world, without the Grant, they would not be allowed to continue to trade as they would be trading whilst insolvent, which is a serious offence and could subject the Directors to a large fine and / or prison time for "Wrongful Trading"

However whilst the get the grant all is fine - but what happens in 2027 when the grant finishes ?

Screenshot (1265).png

23 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Plus the mooring fee to the mooring operator. Moorings that have planning permission as non-residential, even if you are living on them, do not pay council tax or if they do, it is a sort of composite rate levied on the mooring operator. However, in that case the boater living aboard could be forced to move off with no or minimal notice. No reason need be given. That also applies to a non-residential moorer as well.

Not the case with the 'The Anglia Revenues Partnership' who collect council tax for a number of councils in the East of England. To them it does not matter whether or not moorings that have planning permission as non-residential, even if you are not living on them or your mooring agreement clearly states non-residential.

They have a very simple rule, produce a council tax bill that has your name on it from a council within the uk. Fail to do so, they will chase you for council tax.

This does cause problems for some moorers in that their name may not be on the council tax bill of their home. In some cases it is in the landlords name or their other half name.

'The Anglia Revenues Partnership' has double standards when it comes to paying out, with you having to jump through many hoops to get a refund for over payment. The £150 rebate has not been paid out to moorers who pay full council tax, the email that was sent to me signed with what has to be a fake name (Mrs J T Kirk) stated that as a boat is not a dwelling or household, but is a chattel and therefore does not meet the criteria required for the £150 rebate.

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Indeed, few would deny that the (unexpectedly) generous   "furlough" benefits were a lifeline for numerous businesses and, of course, for their staff, so they weren't a waste of money because they protected people's standard of living for however long they were in force (about a year and a half, was it?) But that was under exceptional circumstances; in the long run, if a business can't run at a profit, then does it deserve to survive?

If it can't run at a profit because of deliberate profiteering by others, in this case the energy companies, maybe they do, but they won't, because the subsidies/support has been geared to protecting those profits. Otherwise, prices just could have been capped, which would have had the same effect as a big tax bill on the companies - except... that the terms of the tax draft is so riddled with loopholes it won't pull in anything like the quoted amount. So the companies will moan, but won't have to pay up. If prices had ben capped  they'd have had no option. But it'll be a damn good excuse to cut investment.

You do have to remember (albeit this is not in the politics ghetto) the nature of the politicians drafting it. I'm not implying Labour would have done much better, but it's unlikely that they'd have allowed people with second and third homes to get £400 for each of them.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

The Anglia Revenues Partnership has done a complete U turn on the their position of the £150 rebate not applying to boats on moorings which pay council tax, in that as a boat is not a dwelling or household, but is a chattel, So not meet the their criteria required for the £150 rebate. My counter to this was that if this was the case, therefore the mooring is not libal for council tax and look forward to a refund of 22 years council tax for unlawful tax on a non-residential mooring. Which they known full way from the start as the bill had been sent to my home in Dorset each year. 

Anyway this morning the £150 rebate appeared in my account this morning. I would have prefered 22 years council tax repaid.  

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2