£400 energy bill discount

Lugi

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are seriously looking at solar panels and battery storage for the house. We have had quotes of around £6k for 16kW solar array, batteries and inverter fully installed. Which granted is a lot of money but with the way energy prices are going it really wouldn't take that long to pay itself back.

We have an ideal south facing roof for it as well. 

Is that a missing decimal point between the 1 and the 6? 

A 16kw array will be 40 panels or about 12metres x 6 metres that's a huge roof and £6k for that is cheap.

My 4.8kw (12 panels) battery and inverter was just over 8k with vat. Electric consumption is less than 0.5 units a day at present and we are exporting about 20kWh which is paying for my gas usage and some.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Loddon said:

A 16kw array will be 40 panels or about 12metres x 6 metres that's a huge roof and £6k for that is cheap.

My 4.8kw (12 panels) battery and inverter was just over 8k with vat. Electric consumption is less than 0.5 units a day at present and we are exporting about 20kWh which is paying for my gas usage and some.

No there shouldn't be a 1. Its a 6kW system. :lol:

No VAT on them at the moment.

• Greenie 1

Online petition addressed to the Rt Hon Kwasi Kwarteng MP, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy

Aready signed by 568 people so far today.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/include-off-grid-households-in-government-ps400-energy-bills-support-scheme?fbclid=IwAR2iXRiO0eLLkE8PdFFp7YSxSYRyx1yac2r9lW4wuedGR3q7fA4lxIEDXUY

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

On 31/05/2022 at 12:22, Loddon said:

There is lots of info on this by Will Prowse on YouTube, american, but very interesting.

2 hours ago, Puffling said:

The URL tidied up. I've signed it.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/include-off-grid-households-in-government-ps400-energy-bills-support-scheme

ETA: @Athy is there a reason you added a laughter emoji to @nbfiresprites post above?

I wondered same. I can only think he hasn’t read it through. 

667 have now signed of 800 needed to get it discussed (if I’ve read through correctly)

I wouldn't expect a rebate if I didn't have an electricity bill. It's not for gas or any other form of heating only electric.

I won't be signing it but then I never sign stuff on 38 deg

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

I wouldn't expect a rebate if I didn't have an electricity bill. It's not for gas or any other form of heating only electric.

I think its a question of how can the government help those struggling off grid with an increase in energy bills in general. 

Yea of course I can’t ask for a rebate on my lecky bill because I never get one.  

But could there be any help for people struggling with the increase in gas, coal or diesel?

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

It was supposed to be a help to every family for the increased power costs, not just electricity. It's being paid via elec bills as almost every household has electricity but not all have gas. Why some have been left out of the "every household in the UK" is a political question.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It was supposed to be a help to every family for the increased power costs, not just electricity. It's being paid via elec bills as almost every household has electricity but not all have gas. Why some have been left out of the "every household in the UK" is a political question.

Simply done to grab more votes, not to help every household.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Simply done to grab more votes, not to help every household.

Well, yes, but the publicity says it's for every household, and that's what the majority will believe, because none of the papers they read,  or the news sources they use, will mention the millions of people left out. So it'll work politically. Same as apparently there are still people who believe there are 40 new hospitals, or that the EU stopped us putting crowns on pint glasses.

So, as those who aren't getting it don't really have a voice, and very little clout, why should anyone in government give a toss? I don't think a petition will work any better than all the other ones have. I never bother with them, same as I don't go on marches.

22 hours ago, Puffling said:

The URL tidied up. I've signed it.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/include-off-grid-households-in-government-ps400-energy-bills-support-scheme

ETA: @Athy is there a reason you added a laughter emoji to @nbfiresprites post above?

Come on CWDF members - there are thousands of us. There should be lots and lots more signatures.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Jo_ said:

Come on CWDF members - there are thousands of us. There should be lots and lots more signatures.

I'd say there are only about 100 active members. Most people who've signed up never visit on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Jo_ said:

Could it be that the 'thousands' here are still to be convinced that people who don't buy electricity from the grid should still get the £400 rebate?

• Greenie 4

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If you can point me to three online petitions that have had a successful outcome, on any subject whatsoever, out of the endless thousands that have been raised, I'll happily sign.

Otherwise, I'll maintain my view that the whole online petition thing is a con to make people think they have a say when in fact they have none, and therefore stops them actually doing anything effective and becoming a nuisance.

That's a high benchmark to set, Arthur: having a successful outcome. The women of Greenham Common camps protested peacefully outside the USAF base for 19 years and eventually American Cruise missiles were removed from British soil. An ultimately successful outcome. Yet nobody could say the peace camp blockades were specifically responsible for achieving such end. Moreover, does signing an online petition prevent one from emailing an MP or writing letters, or even going on hunger strike? It's one of many options on the palette of protest.

But in answer to your question, here are what the Huff Post considers online petition successes.

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

Could it be that the 'thousands' here are still to be convinced that people who don't buy electricity from the grid should still get the £400 rebate?

It was supposed to be an offset against all rising energy costs,  not just electricity, but paid via the elec bill as everyone has one of those and not everyone has oil or gas. It just leaves out those completely off grid or not connected to domestic electricity.

You really can't expect people in highly paid jobs sitting in offices to think of everything, can you?

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Puffling said:

That's a high benchmark to set, Arthur: having a successful outcome. The women of Greenham Common camps protested peacefully outside the USAF base for 19 years and eventually American Cruise missiles were removed from British soil. An ultimately successful outcome. Yet nobody could say the peace camp blockades were specifically responsible for achieving such end. Moreover, does signing an online petition prevent one from emailing an MP or writing letters, or even going on hunger strike? It's one of many options on the palette of protest.

But in answer to your question, here are what the Huff Post considers online petition successes.

In the UK, then, that's getting Jane Austen on a bank note. Government shaken to its roots.   

Many of my friends were at Greenham Common, a protest which kept the fact that US missiles were kept in the UK in the public eye but did nothing else for nineteen years.

The palette of peaceful protest, sadly, is almost entirely a failure. Whether one likes it or not  about the only successful campaign was against the poll tax  and that took riots. Petitions, marches and the rest achieved nothing.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I'd say there are only about 100 active members. Most people who've signed up never visit on a regular basis.

And the vast majority (99% ?) of those signed up will be getting an electricity bill, and hence the £400 credit. so have no interest in signing the petition.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And the vast majority (99% ?) of those signed up will be getting an electricity bill, and hence the £400 credit. so have no interest in signing the petition.

That's me (and you I suspect) to a tee.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

In the UK, then, that's getting Jane Austen on a bank note. Government shaken to its roots.   

Many of my friends were at Greenham Common, a protest which kept the fact that US missiles were kept in the UK in the public eye but did nothing else for nineteen years.

The palette of peaceful protest, sadly, is almost entirely a failure. Whether one likes it or not  about the only successful campaign was against the poll tax  and that took riots. Petitions, marches and the rest achieved nothing.

We'll have to disagree on this one then. Being a man, I wasn't welcome at Greenham but my then partner went. She spoke of the sense of community and human purpose that flowed; at its best a small self-organsied society, always with the aim to show that the world does not need nuclear weapons. Who can say tell what benefits the spinoffs from this protest had on those who came later?

If you can feel that staying human is worthwhile, even when it can’t have any result whatever, you’ve beaten them.”  George Orwell

Edited by Puffling
hunting down autocorrect apostrophes again!