£400 energy bill discount

Lugi

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

For tenants whose electricity is re-sold to tenants by their landlord, the landlord is expected to pass on the discount to the tenant. (It was not mentioned how this will work where a large house has a single meter for the incoming supply and multiple meters are providrd for the landlord to re-sell electricity to his multiple tenants who are individual households).

If the landlord is on a business tariff then the price he pays is not subject to the domestic price cap and neither does he get the £400 discount. So what is there to be passed on to the tenant? Same will surely apply to caravan/mobile home sites and marinas.

Ah, so perhaps that is why HMG needs to have the prospective  consultation mentioned in Moneybox, to find a way  to deliver the discount to households in those situations. The first payments are not scheduled until October,.so that should give them time to work something out, 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

If the landlord is on a business tariff then the price he pays is not subject to the domestic price cap and neither does he get the £400 discount. So what is there to be passed on to the tenant? Same will surely apply to caravan/mobile home sites and marinas.

A fact that I pointed out to my MP, who has emailed back and is looking into (As votes may be at risk). Even a single house with bedsits is charged the business tariff. One area which does need inforcement is the unit price markup by some landlords.

58 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Maybe an ‘electricity out to help out’ might work?
I’ll come around and use your electricity. 

I think that’s a vote winner!

Some people aready do that, plugging their shoreline into your socket after unplugging yours.

58 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Maybe an ‘electricity out to help out’ might work?
I’ll come around and use your electricity. 

I think that’s a vote winner!

Some people aready do that, plugging their shoreline into your socket after unplugging yours.

On 08/06/2022 at 09:31, Puffling said:

We'll have to disagree on this one then. Being a man, I wasn't welcome at Greenham but my then partner went. She spoke of the sense of community and human purpose that flowed; at its best a small self-organsied society, always with the aim to show that the world does not need nuclear weapons. Who can say tell what benefits the spinoffs from this protest had on those who came later?

If you can feel that staying human is worthwhile, even when it can’t have any result whatever, you’ve beaten them.”  George Orwell

That is not true, I know a man who used to go at weekends and he came back to work Mondays snagged out

2 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

The first payments are not scheduled until October

I was wondering where my £400 was! 

Mind you, SSE sent me £500 the other day compensation for my week-long power cut in Feb, which I barely noticed as I moved back onto one of my boats Yay!

Edited by MtB

It sounds as though the government repesentative who gave the information to Moneybox  about landlords needing to pass the discount to tenants,  may have been misinformed. Not the first time that the government's left hand hasn't known what its right hand was doing!

I can thorougly recommend listening to Moneybox on a regular basis..Their team often cuts through government spin. When pension books were being phased out, they mentioned that, contradictory to the frankly deceitful and misleading letters sent to pensioners,  implying  that they would have to open a bank account in order to continue receiving their pension, this was not the case. My mum, who by then was housebound, but fully compos mentis,  never had a bank account and after pension books ceased being issued, was able to get her pension  via  regular  warrants received by post that various family members were able to cash on her behalf at a post office. 

I well remember the spin at the time justifying phasing out the pension books because most pensioners had switched to payment into bank accounts, hardly surprising when the alternative options were not mentioned in official letters.

Edited by Ronaldo47
Moneybox recommendation added

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But I don't pay £66 a month until this contract runs out. I am one of the ones who didn't listen when they said "Electricity prices are at an all time high, now is not the time to lock in" I did and they just kept going higher.

I didn't fix my electric but have gone to a tarriff where the rate changes every half hour 😱

Yesterday between 1300 and 1600 the cost of my electric went negative so Octopus were paying me 4.5p/kWh to use electricity. Unfortunately I was also getting maximum output from the PV and the batteries were fully charged so I couldn't take advantage☹️

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Yesterday between 1300 and 1600 the cost of my electric went negative so Octopus were paying me 4.5p/kWh to use electricity. Unfortunately I was also getting maximum output from the PV and the batteries were fully charged so I couldn't take advantage☹️

Lol, but surely this bit is WHY the price went negative. So much free electricity coming off the sun at the time, they couldn't give it away!

12 hours ago, Tonka said:

That is not true, I know a man who used to go at weekends and he came back to work Mondays snagged out

I didn't write that I was forbidden from visiting, only that I didn't feel welcome. Yes, men did visit the Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp, perhaps as journalists or photographers, perhaps as partners of women already at the Camp. But the entire framework of the protest was that women as mothers and protectors intended to defend the world against male aggression, symbolised by Cruise and Pershing nuclear missiles. For this reason, male visitors were simply tolerated.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Lol, but surely this bit is WHY the price went negative. So much free electricity coming off the sun at the time, they couldn't give it away!

It only happens when there is wind and sun, if just one or the other it doesn't go negative.

Yesterday Octopus national energy mix was as follows.

21.4%Nuclear

20.7% Gas 

5%  Solar

44.7% Wind

2.1% Hydro

2.9% Biomass

2.2% Import

It varies from region to region, here in the SW there is no Import, Biomass or Hydro but we were at 53.3% from Nuclear.

I just love the geekery of it all 😎

• Greenie 1

On 13/06/2022 at 09:33, peterboat said:

Slightly back on Topic it would appear that the gubberment is considering off grid homes according to the BBC today 1.5 million of us it seems  so fingers crossed for 400 squids 

Intriguing - was that an article online?

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

Intriguing - was that an article online?

BBC breakfast news, I have googled since and nothing online, I had to speak to tother half to confirm it was real, 🤣 she remembered it and wondered how they would do it? It mentioned 1.5 million offgrid users that had no electric or gas which covers us nicely 

Slightly back on Topic it would appear that the gubberment is considering off grid homes according to the BBC today 1.5 million of us it seems  so fingers crossed for 400 squids 

I can’t believe it.
Surely that’s money that should be given to more affluent folk who don’t need it?

Why waste it on a few in desperate need ?

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I can’t believe it.
Surely that’s money that should be given to more affluent folk who don’t need it?

Why waste it on a few in desperate need ?

Calm down, it's only a consultation. By the time its foregone conclusions will have been published people will have realised that £400 is such a drop in the ocean of their new costs that it really doesn't help anyone very much.

And as I understand it's being paid in instalments, with inflation at 10% (if we're lucky), the last one would probably buy you a first class stamp.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Calm down, it's only a consultation. By the time its foregone conclusions will have been published people will have realised that £400 is such a drop in the ocean of their new costs that it really doesn't help anyone very much.

And as I understand it's being paid in instalments, with inflation at 10% (if we're lucky), the last one would probably buy you a first class stamp.

Are stamps going up too?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I thought it was 400 squids on October?

53 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I thought it was 400 squids on October?

Keep up, this is another £400. The one all householders were promised, but then , the people who were excluded became a bit annoyed at this novel definition of "all householders" I find it difficult to believe there are 1.5 million off grid people, but as long as it's what the government believe, that makes it likely that we will get something, sometime. If we refer back to 'Yes Minister' , the consultation will take about six months and be published about four years later

Edited by LadyG

The £66 was my understanding from the latest "Moneybox" programme,  but I think it was per month, credited to your electricity account starting this October, with a consultation for electricity users who pay for unmetered electricity via a service charge, for a way to get the money to them. 

Our beloved leader did announce in parliament that the money would be for every household ( he didn't say every household who has mains electricity), and we all know that he can be trusted to keep his word, don't we? .

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

Brilliant!

Do I get it for all three of my homes? 

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

I can’t believe it.

Totally agree....

:giggles:

Anyone who can afford a boat is 'affluent' in the eyes of the guvverment.

8 hours ago, Ianws said:

Stamps went up in April and could go up again. Soon the annual ground rent letter we receive will cost more in postage than the rent requested. 

That almost happened to us many years ago.  Ground rent of £12 pa  was invoiced 6 monthly. By the time the freeholder raised the paperwork, processed the payment including issuing a receipt they couldn't have made much profit on their investment. On top of this we had to write and post a cheque. When we took on the lease it had 967 years to run  with no provision for a review.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Brilliant!

Do I get it for all three of my homes? 

Totally agree....

Anyone who can afford a boat is 'affluent' in the eyes of the guvverment.

Anyone with a house and a boat for part time use is likely to be modestly affluent. 
Anyone with a house and two boats for pleasure is most likely very affluent. 
Anyone with a house and 3 boats for a hobby isn’t paying enough tax. 

• Haha 1