Is it cos I'z black?

blackrose

Featured Posts

This year the willow pollen explosion over the last couple of weeks has been pretty bad. Fortunately it's usually finished by the end of May. 

I spent about 2 hours this morning trying to clean it off the boat. The combination of spider's web and pollen is a nightmare - it just sticks to everything, even your cleaning brushes and rags. Perhaps I've just been lazier than my neighbours and allowed the cobwebs to build up, because my boat looked worse than everyone else's and seemed to have collected more pollen - or is it just that a black boat shows it more?

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

This year the willow pollen explosion over the last couple of weeks has been pretty bad. Fortunately it's usually finished by the end of May. 

I spent about 2 hours this morning trying to clean it off the boat. The combination of spider's web and pollen is a nightmare - it just sticks to everything, even your cleaning brushes and rags. Perhaps I've just been lazier than my neighbours and allowed the cobwebs to build up, because my boat looked worse than everyone else's and seemed to have collected more pollen - or is it just that a black boat shows it more?

Probably like cars? I learnt many years ago to not buy a black car, they are absolutely atrocious looking unless washed daily.

• Greenie 2

Or is it because the wider the boat, the more surface is available for the pollen to land on?

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Probably like cars? I learnt many years ago to not buy a black car, they are absolutely atrocious looking unless washed daily.

And yet, until about 1960 the majority of cars on the road were black, and you never saw a white one. I once asked my Dad why there weren't any white cars and he said "Because the dirt shows up on them".

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Or is it because the wider the boat, the more surface is available for the pollen to land on?

And yet, until about 1960 the majority of cars on the road were black, and you never saw a white one. I once asked my Dad why there weren't any white cars and he said "Because the dirt shows up on them".

He was correct, white are a pig also 🤣

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I don't think so. 4 neighbours also have widebeams. 

Actually the worst cobweb/pollen problem on my boat were around the grey deck areas so I think it's just that I hadn't cleaned my boat as much as my neighbours so when the pollen came out my boat picked more of it up. 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, sueb said:

Why are cars painted the same colour as roads? Surely they should be a bright colour so they can be seen.

It's usually the big huge 4x4 and so called prestige car horrors that are painted in those dark or dark stone colours, often German vehicles.,

13 hours ago, sueb said:

Why are cars painted the same colour as roads? Surely they should be a bright colour so they can be seen.

That's why dark cars should wear high-viz vests. Alternatively, paint roads in reflective high viz paint and dark cars will show up.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 36national said:

just paint the roads a different colour to the cars

The Jamaicans may have beaten us to it. In Kingston there's an Orange Street and a Pink Lane.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

The Jamaicans may have beaten us to it. In Kingston there's an Orange Street and a Pink Lane.

According to Google Maps there are at least four Pink Lanes in England. There's even a Pink Green Lane in Redditch, with another one just north of Redditch!

Edited by Dorlan

And a real yellow brick road in Sofia, Bulgaria.

It goes past the Russian Orthodox church and is a real skating rink in freezing or when it is freezing and wet.

N