CRT/Waterside mooring prices

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Where there are no vacancies, is it possible to find out how much the mooring cost last time around?

No point watching one I wouldn't want to pay for. :)

Take the cheapest nearby marina prices and add 10% for an approximate guide for auction starting prices.

Bear in mind too that in a marina, they charge you per foot of boat length. With a CRT mooring you have to buy a mooring at the length they advertise and your boat has to be the same or shorter. My 45ft boat for example is on a 57ft CRT home mooring.

(And I'm paying for 57ft, just to labour the point!)

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Take the cheapest nearby marina prices and add 10% for an approximate guide for auction starting prices.

Bear in mind too that in a marina, they charge you per foot of boat length. With a CRT mooring you have to buy a mooring at the length they advertise and your boat has to be the same or shorter. My 45ft boat for example is on a 57ft CRT home mooring.

So there isn't a way then?

Can't do as you suggest - some are towpath, some are offside with elec bollards, water and parking, they vary widely.

10 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Can't do as you suggest - some are towpath, some are offside with elec bollards, water and parking, they vary widely.

I haven't tried it but I believe the wayback machine captures web pages when they are published AND when they are changed, so it is a useful tool for finding old versions of changed web pages and pages subsequently taken down. You might find it has grabbed all the old listings for the moorings you are interested in and saved them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayback_Machine

https://web.archive.org/

10 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

I haven't tried it but I believe the wayback machine captures web pages when they are published AND when they are changed, so it is a useful tool for finding old versions of changed web pages and pages subsequently taken down. You might find it has grabbed all the old listings for the moorings you are interested in and saved them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayback_Machine

https://web.archive.org/

If I look for stuff on Google, eg for roadworks or traffic info, it throws up pages from years ago as well as current. Old pages never seem to die. Maybe the same is true for CRT mooring auctions. Alternatively, have you tried phoning CRT and asking for a list of guide prices? They must have such a thing and I can't see a reason for it being confidential.

When I've been looking for moorings, as I've never had a CRT one, I've just knocked on a farm door and asked.

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If I look for stuff on Google, eg for roadworks or traffic info, it throws up pages from years ago as well as current. Old pages never seem to die. Maybe the same is true for CRT mooring auctions. Alternatively, have you tried phoning CRT and asking for a list of guide prices? They must have such a thing and I can't see a reason for it being confidential.

When I've been looking for moorings, as I've never had a CRT one, I've just knocked on a farm door and asked.

Ah, well I have my eye on a particular mooring. It's one of three - 2 never change hands but the other does. If I had any idea what the page for bidding was called I might be able to do what you say, but I'm thinking it's taken down after rather than the link simply disappearing though you never know!

Just checked one under way and it's a popup window with address "...MooringListing/BidHistory/1234" with no ref to the mooring site. 1234 being my random number for illustration. Trying a few previous numbers a few come up but only close numbers so I think they do disappear when the bidding is over.

Edited by Slow and Steady

2 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

Wayback is too random for this kind of thing but thanks for the suggestion.

My experience has been that Wayback sometimes does not capture all linked pages of a captured web site, or else captures an early version that does not include later additions.  For example, the Wayback version of a defunct site devoted to listing all the boats Black Prince had had, is of an early version that does not include some photos of the original red and black livery that I had contributed.  As no other colour photos of this early livery appeared to exist on line,  I posted them in the Black Prince Owners Club section of this forum. 

It is of course possible that the information does exist, but Google hasn't indexed it, and therefore cannot retrieve it.

Nearly 20 years ago, Google was happy to find me a downloadable PDF copy of a book in a US University library, written in 1904 by an English 6th-form-aged schoolboy. It was about Radium and other radioactive materials, and described experiments he had made at home, including making mutations in tadpoles and how to make your own X-Ray machine. When I recently tried using Google to find it for a friend, it couldn't. Fortunately I had made a note of the original link, which did work when typed into the address bar. Possibly Google has got senitive about retrieving things with Radium and Radioactivity in their titles in case they might be useful to terrorists, which I doubt this 1904 book would  be. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2022 at 21:19, Ronaldo47 said:

My experience has been that Wayback sometimes does not capture all linked pages of a captured web site, or else captures an early version that does not include later additions.  For example, the Wayback version of a defunct site devoted to listing all the boats Black Prince had had, is of an early version that does not include some photos of the original red and black livery that I had contributed.  As no other colour photos of this early livery appeared to exist on line,  I posted them in the Black Prince Owners Club section of this forum. 

It is of course possible that the information does exist, but Google hasn't indexed it, and therefore cannot retrieve it.

Nearly 20 years ago, Google was happy to find me a downloadable PDF copy of a book in a US University library, written in 1904 by an English 6th-form-aged schoolboy. It was about Radium and other radioactive materials, and described experiments he had made at home, including making mutations in tadpoles and how to make your own X-Ray machine. When I recently tried using Google to find it for a friend, it couldn't. Fortunately I had made a note of the original link, which did work when typed into the address bar. Possibly Google has got senitive about retrieving things with Radium and Radioactivity in their titles in case they might be useful to terrorists, which I doubt this 1904 book would  be. 

Hello Ronaldo47, I'd  be very interested in that link. Would there be any chance you could pm it to me ? Thank you.

On 28/05/2022 at 16:05, MtB said:

Not always true Mike. The Marina we have departed from charged according to the pontoon length and no you weren't allowed to put a 57 foot boat on a 30 foot pontoon.

11 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Not always true Mike. The Marina we have departed from charged according to the pontoon length and no you weren't allowed to put a 57 foot boat on a 30 foot pontoon.

Whichever is the larger of boat length and pontoon length is how our marina charges.

3 hours ago, RollingFoggy said:

Hello Ronaldo47, I'd  be very interested in that link. Would there be any chance you could pm it to me ? Thank you.

It's on an old XP  laptop I can't now use on the internet I'll dig it out tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, RollingFoggy said:

Here's the link. Pasting it into the google search box results in a "document not found" message, so google still doesn't like it.. Pasting in the address bar of your browser should work. It works for me.

Or just click the link below

https://archive.org/details/radiumotherradio00levyrich/mode/1up?view=theater

N.b. I was prompted to look for the book after reading a review of it, including an interview with its author, in a facsimilie edition of a bound volume  of "The Model Engineer" for the second half of  1904.  From memory, he was 18 at the time,  had also written a book on colour photography, and was about to go off  to university. I did wonder if he survived the First Wold War,   and if his house, if still standing, still bore traces of radioactivity? 

Edited by Ronaldo47
Typos; Confirmed that clicking the link does tske you to the document.
  • Greenie 1

On 28/05/2022 at 19:11, Slow and Steady said:

Ah, well I have my eye on a particular mooring. It's one of three - 2 never change hands but the other does.

Can't you pop round and see them? Then you might know not only the most recent charge but also an idea of whether or when it might become available.

25 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I've always been surprised why CRT canal side moorings tend to be more expensive than marina's, who offer more services with more convenience?

Its becuase about ten years ago, CRT realised that loads of boaters think on-line moorings are SO much nicer than horrid marinas, and will pay handsomely to moor away from the type of boaters that prefer marinas.

:giggles:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Its becuase about ten years ago, CRT realised that loads of boaters think on-line moorings are SO much nicer than horrid marinas, and will pay handsomely to moor away from the type of boaters that prefer marinas.

:giggles:

ah so the class system is alive and well by the sounds of it!  :)

13 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

ah so the class system is alive and well by the sounds of it!  :)

Yes, both the shiny boat marina dwellers and the on-line liveaboard scruffy boaters consider themselves superior to the other.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Yes, both the shiny boat marina dwellers and the on-line liveaboard scruffy boaters consider themselves superior to the other.

Leisure boaters, of course, are superior to both of them.

I'm not sure where hirers fit. Could be like the ace - above or below, depending.

21 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Here's the link. Pasting it into the google search box results in a "document not found" message, so google still doesn't like it.. Pasting in the address bar of your browser should work. It works for me.

Or just click the link below

https://archive.org/details/radiumotherradio00levyrich/mode/1up?view=theater

N.b. I was prompted to look for the book after reading a review of it, including an interview with its author, in a facsimilie edition of a bound volume  of "The Model Engineer" for the second half of  1904.  From memory, he was 18 at the time,  had also written a book on colour photography, and was about to go off  to university. I did wonder if he survived the First Wold War,   and if his house, if still standing, still bore traces of radioactivity? 

Thank you Ronaldo47