PICTURES OF GOLDEN NOOK FARM

davathehut

Featured Posts

Its not a particularly good location, or even offering much in the way of facilities for the underprivileged familes who are being given free use of the boat for a few days, how do they get there ? how do they get their food stuffs there, how will the toilet be emptied ready for their arrival , how will the water tank and petrol tank be filled up (and by whom ?)

Apparently the plan is for them to cruise for a couple of days and then for another family to take over & bring it back to the moorings - how do family (1) get back to the moorings to get their transport home, and how do family (2) get back to wherever they picked up the boat from?

I have a feeling that someone has not put much thought into this project, or this may be some sort of a wind-up or scam or .............................

Alan seems to know more at the reason for this thread than I've seen elsewhere, but I can't see GN being a particularly interesting destination for a trip - isn't the OPs charity boat based at Nantwich?

They used to advertise that you could get diesel there, though I never did, and presumably water is available and parking facilities. Possibly Elsan or pumpout - there are a lot of people living on there who never seem to move their boats.

All I know about it really is that every local boater who doesn't moor there thinks it's a blot on the landscape and an extremely good argument for not slowing down past moored boats!

48 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Alan seems to know more at the reason for this thread than I've seen elsewhere, but I can't see GN being a particularly interesting destination for a trip - isn't the OPs charity boat based at Nantwich?

He is posting little snippets of information in various threads - a couple that give a hint to his plans ;

our boat has solar panels charging the battery's and we have 2 generators on board 

we will be giving each family enough fuel to travel from Nantwitch to Ellesmere port over 2 days then the next family to get a holiday will take it from ellesmere port to Nantwtich over 2 days so it will be travelling back and forth from 2 locations but as a charity we will be raising funds in the coming months for this reason but at the moment we need to concentrate on finding a replacement engine 

once up and running again the boat will be providing free boating holidays to struggling family's in the UK the will be given a free 3 day holiday on the boat on the Shropshire union canal but we are just trying to raise funds to replace the outboard our registered charity number is 1018802 many thanks

i joined the forum for help and advice yes its a charity boat no im not a scammer people will be given free holiday and fuel for the holiday its not down to us to provide travel to and from the destination when the boat has been used we will attend the boat  to empty the loo and  give a good clean and sanitise before the next family take it  anybody taking the free holiday will have to supply their own food and drinks 

as i said i joined here for help and advice not to be ridiculed and feeling like i need to explain myself to people 

i am great full for any help and advice but i do not appreciate being called a scammer 

all i asked was for help with towing or if their was anybody selling an outboard i also asked for pics of golden nook 

we are just trying to provide a great experience for people that wouldn't normally get the chance to experience it 

1 hour ago, davathehut said:

i joined the forum for help and advice yes its a charity boat no im not a scammer people will be given free holiday and fuel for the holiday its not down to us to provide travel to and from the destination when the boat has been used we will attend the boat  to empty the loo and  give a good clean and sanitise before the next family take it  anybody taking the free holiday will have to supply their own food and drinks 

as i said i joined here for help and advice not to be ridiculed and feeling like i need to explain myself to people 

i am great full for any help and advice but i do not appreciate being called a scammer 

all i asked was for help with towing or if their was anybody selling an outboard i also asked for pics of golden nook 

we are just trying to provide a great experience for people that wouldn't normally get the chance to experience it 

So your giving struggling families a free holiday, but expecting them to travel to one location to start the holiday and then travel home from a different one. If they are struggling are they likely to be able to afford that? 

Also have you looked into the licensing, insurance and boat safety implications of what you are intending to do? Hire boats pay a higher license fee, and have stricter boat safety requirements which will cost more to comply with, and the insurance is likely to be higher - standard private insurance often doesn't cover lending to friends, so having different people use the boat every few days will certainly not be covered, business insurance will be needed which is expensive.

Being a charity does not mean you don't have to comply with the above rules, and not charging the families won't necessarily let you off either, you need to talk to CRT and your insurance company.

I am not trying to ridicule you or call you a scammer, I believe you are genuine, I'm trying to give help and advice because I think you may not understand what you are getting into.

1 hour ago, davathehut said:

i didn't expect to be called a scammer and be slated by other boaters on here 

I do have some sympathy for you, but perhaps you do need to look at things from the point of view of folks who know nothing about you. 

You have  got half a dozen fairly random threads with what appear to be slightly unusual requests with not too much explanation. 

Unfortunately in the world we live in people are a bit suspicious of things that seem a bit too good to be true. And this sometimes includes well meaning good intentioned folk. 

I'm a charity trustee for another large Scout charity and hold a position of some authority in that. So I've looked on the 8th Bebington scout website and can see no obvious connection to your charity boat / purpose. The charity number you quote rather too often, seems to be the Bebington scout District charity  registration number. I have to be honest and say that rings a slight alarm bell with me. Hopefully you have the support of your group and District and they are happy with you using their charity registration...

If not you should not be quoting their charity registration number.

I have towed a grp cruiser behind my narrowboat and it's not easy as others have said and not something I want to do again except in an emergency and for a very short distance. 

It might be worth reaching out to merseyside scouts who operate a boating centre in Southport and could possibly help you find an outboard motor.

Good luck and I hope you can work through the issues you have and help some deserving people, but do think you need to think through the practicalities.

yes we have commercial insurance and license we just need to get boat safety cert once work is complete it has standard boat safety at the moment as for them travelling to and from the boat this will be discussed with any family wanting to use our service and when we can we will always try and help using the scouts mini bus i appreciate your feedback and advice it always helps when its genuine advice so thank you 

thanks jonathan 

and yes i have full support of our dc and my gsl 

9 hours ago, jonathanA said:

You have  got half a dozen fairly random threads with what appear to be slightly unusual requests with not too much explanation. 

Unfortunately in the world we live in people are a bit suspicious of things that seem a bit too good to be true. And this sometimes includes well meaning good intentioned folk. 

Which was the reason for my reply. someone asks out of the blue for photos of moorings with no explanation. I wouldn't have been happy someone randomly asking for photos of where my boat is moored.

For all I knew you may have been casing the place to borrow a boat.

• Greenie 1

When I went past Golden Nook farm recently I picked up a full sized tarpaulin on my prop. My crew for the day had good fun watching me remove it!

Tbf it's just a long line of boats next to a field that's a bit longer than most long lines of boat next to a field, probably a nice enough place to store a boat but no real reason for people cruising between Nantwich and Ellesmere Port to stop there. Plenty of free moorings on very similar towpath either side, and Tattenhall Marina is next door if people need to empty an Elsan and (budget permitting) use the cafe.

It would have helped if the original post stated where the mooring in question were, like stating a canal location for example. The image of the bridge 115 on the Shropshire Union Canal is a help, but only to those who boat regularly along this waterway, but the last post does finally give a location and that by a regular contributor to this site. Davethehut should recognise this.

But what can Davethehut tell us about the nearby and former "bone works" ? or does it matter ?

For those interested in waterways history, the transport of goods by waterway, this is a nugget of information that may be of interest.

Edited by Heartland