Just about to start painting..

Featured Posts

I am just about to start painting my boat. I saw a new boat that was painted in red oxide three quarters the way down then blue gloss at the stern. It's a tug named Duke that I saw on Youtube. I'm thinking of either going for that look or satin black. Then glossy grey at stern. Anybody here painted there boat in redoxide or satin as a finish?

IMG_20210709_105911-scaled-pj8s07t8bu6sdp275zbmfss5jknzts047pnazc0t2y.jpg

• Love 1

The red is likely to be Raddle Red rather than red oxide as primers and undercoats are permeable to water and not suitable as top coats.

By the by, your b has dropped off!

Edited by Tracy D'arth

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The red is likely to be Raddle Red rather than red oxide as primers and undercoats are permeable to water and not suitable as top coats.

By the by, your b has dropped off!

I always thought raddle red is red oxide. It is with craftmaster paints.

I have found Craftmaster Raddle Red to be too brown for my taste, compared with red oxide primer which is a better colour, but not weatherproof. Johnstones used to do a really good red oxide gloss, but stopped making it a few years ago. Blackfriars do one, but in my experience it doesn't weather well. 

12 hours ago, Nick-Now said:

I'm finding craftmaster raddle red t

too expensive £30 a liter. I'd probably need 10 liters...

What about Symphony coatings, they do a raddle red.

If you want a decent finish you are going to have to pay for it I am afraid

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Nick-Now said:

If I were using a professional to paint my boat I would be OK with a fancy brand, but that is not because it is superior paint, it is because he is used to that particular paint.

It's the prep and execution that makes a pro job stand out.

So your paint job will be OK no matter what good quality paint you use. It must be suitable for metal of course, but spend your time on the prep, particularly try to find rust and eradicate it. Use primer, red if you like, then undercoat sand once sand twice, to 120, then think again then two top coats. Always read data sheet. Always use good weather. If I can't get two topcoats on quickly, so they bond, I leave it two weeks to cure and sand to 120, 

Edited by LadyG

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If I were using a professional to paint my boat I would be OK with a fancy brand, but that is not because it is superior paint, it is because he is used to that particular paint.

It's the prep and execution that makes a pro job stand out.

So your paint job will be OK no matter what good quality paint you use. It must be suitable for metal of course, but spend your time on the prep, particularly try to find rust and eradicate it., Get rid of all gloss, clean surface, use clean lint free cloth. Check all surfaces are sanded. Use primer, red if you like, then undercoat sand once sand twice, to 120, then think again then two top coats. Always read data sheet. Always use good weather.

I paid about £300 each time includes all materials, but I have quite a bit left, in my three main colours and highlights were small tins. I think you won't need thirty litres if only using one colour. Be careful when opening not to deform tops as you want to close them when you are finished, tap with hammer and seal with gaffer tape. 

If you can't spend two weeks on all that, get down to a medium grit sanding, a reasonable surface, and use Rustoleum Combi Color which is a primer undercoat topcoat all in one, take technical advice, read data sheet.

Buy a ten pack of the best rollers, this is important, and a few decent brushes. Use one long and one short 4 inch comfort type roller handle.

I recommend you look at SML paints, they have the best 4 inch rollers. Also a protective suit, they sell kits for the hull blacking,.

Oh and buy plenty of masking tape, include Frogtape and SML tape, never buy any from B&Q.

Edited by LadyG

16 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

A satin black boat will be an oven in the summer!

Really? After living in a black boat for the past 17 years that's not been my experience. My boat doesn't seem to get any hotter inside than anyone else's I've been on. Sure any dark paint is going to be hot to the touch but that doesn't seem to translate to an increased temperature inside the boat. Dark colours also radiate heat well so perhaps that's what's happening, I don't know. Anyway, I think big windows are more of an issue than paint colour in terms of solar gain. 

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Really? After living in a black boat for the past 17 years that's not my experience. 

I guess at least yours is shiny?

I have dark blue sides/cream top. In the sun I can't put my hand on the sides, the top is cool, the interior panels by midday are pretty warm, the ceiling panels are cold. It's basic physics isn't it?

45 minutes ago, Tonka said:

What about Symphony coatings, they do a raddle red.

If you want a decent finish you are going to have to pay for it I am afraid

Agreed, paint is an ongoing cost, it's a big area. But using less colours is a major benefit. 

Think of all the free labour , and the £4K saving from any sort of pro job. Not to mention the £8-10K for a proper job.

The other cost, not often mentioned is the purchase of a good orbital sander and a detail sander, which is essential in my opinion. I paid £210 for use of polytunnel, it took me ten four hour days, with more available labour and one colour it could be a week.

33 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Really? After living in a black boat for the past 17 years that's not been my experience. My boat doesn't seem to get any hotter inside than anyone else's I've been on. Sure any dark paint is going to be hot to the touch but that doesn't seem to translate to an increased temperature inside the boat. Dark colours also radiate heat well so perhaps that's what's happening, I don't know. Anyway, I think big windows are more of an issue than paint colour in terms of solar gain. 

I have insulated curtain liners, that keeps boat cooler, but I'm not convinced about black radiating heat, compared to white.

49 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Raddle red - it's the "new" grey. There are quite a few on the marina. Great if you like to follow the fashion but they do look like half painted boats. :)

My hull was delivered that colour 

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

I have found Craftmaster Raddle Red to be too brown for my taste, compared with red oxide primer which is a better colour, but not weatherproof. Johnstones used to do a really good red oxide gloss, but stopped making it a few years ago. Blackfriars do one, but in my experience it doesn't weather well. 

Are you David who bought  Ophelia?

39 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Raddle red - it's the "new" grey. There are quite a few on the marina. Great if you like to follow the fashion but they do look like half painted boats. :)

I’ve mixed ideas about the look of the raddle red. All boats are different so it suits some more than others. Some use it on small areas others go over the top with it.

But like you, I think it’s some sort of fashion thing in an attempt to make a new leisure boat look like something it ain’t. 

A bright yellow or pink might be more fitting.

• Greenie 2

20 hours ago, Nick-Now said:

10L is a lot of paint. 
Are you sure you’ll need so much, how big’s your boat?

Having just painted the top of my boat, 6’ ish by 25’ ish,  a litre was plenty for one covering. 

But yes, good quality paint ain’t cheap. 

Edited by Goliath