The grand opening of a new canal boat marina is set to take place this week.

Featured Posts

We can't keep a caravan or burn bricks. The solicitor explained that this would have been included at the time the land was sold off, and the adjacent landowner didn't want the annoyance of a fairground nearby, or the smoke from burning brick stacks. Our garden sub-soil is apparently a brick-earth, and brickworks used to exist nearby many years ago.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We can't have a caravan, boat or chickens.

When I bought a bungalow the builder got peed off because I put my Shetland Cruiser on the front lawn. It only said no caravans in the deeds and as the builder had buggered me about I was in no hurry to shift it.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I've an idea in my last-but-one house, I wasn't allowed to use it as a brothel.

So I didn't!

You gave it away for nowt?

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We can't have a caravan, boat or chickens.

Can't stop you keeping chickens, the Allotment Act of 1948 (IMMSMR) says you can, whatever any covenant or deed says. Properly housed and no Cock. 😳

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RebeccaM said:

I believe we’re not allowed to build a house worth less than £350. 

Three houses back, mine had a covenant that I must never sell it for less than the builder first sold it for, coincidentally the sum of £350

6 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

True but a marina will say take it or leave it.

For what it's worth they won't refund unused elec either!

Here in Rufford they refund mooring fees and elec in all circumstances and you don't need to give them any advance warning - I could go to the office right now, say I'm leaving, take the units off the meter onto my card and they'd refund that and mooring fees up to the exact day! They'd even be perfectly nice about it.

Until today that has been our experience with every marina we have used. It was quite a surprise when leaving this morning to hear that we would get a refund for the unused electricity - especially as they had kindly checked the bollard when we had to stay at home rather longer than planned.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Until today that has been our experience with every marina we have used.

Just laziness I think. It's odd how different owners approach treating their clients isn't it? Some are welcoming, others would like you to think you are privileged to be allowed on and seem to want you to bow and scrape. I think I'll stay here, the management couple live on a boat in the marina so at least they see it from both sides.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

The covenant on our last house was more discreet - we weren't allowed to run a bawdy house (or burn bricks).

I've never encountered this 'no brick burning' thing ever in all my house trading. Puzzling as bricks don't burn. Do they mean brick-making perhaps? 

I am sure there will be enough £250K boats to fill it, you only need a CRT licence if you go cruising

Being on the Avon Trust navigation, I recall paying a fee to travel from Tewkesbiry to Stratford does this still apply?

On 27/05/2022 at 08:50, David Mack said:

Contract terms which are deemed to be unfair are not enforceable. But it would take a court action to establish that in a particular case.

I suspect the company already knows this. I had our boat in another GeoMac marina for 8 months, and we left recently. I was on a waiting list for an online mooring which became available in early March so I told them I was leaving at the end of March and was happy to pay in lieu of notice. They said that s month's notice was fine, so I offered to pay that....they said as I was paid up until the end of March that would be fine. So I got away with giving 3 weeks notice rather than 3 months. 

Another thing to note is they actually charge for the length of the mooring rather than length of boat, so if you've got a 40 ft boat on a 60ft mooring you pay for 60ft. They only adopted this policy at the beginning of April, and it was very unpopular with moorers so it'll be interesting to see if it lasts.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Another thing to note is they actually charge for the length of the mooring rather than length of boat, so if you've got a 40 ft boat on a 60ft mooring you pay for 60ft. They only adopted this policy at the beginning of April, and it was very unpopular with moorers so it'll be interesting to see if it lasts.

I have found that all marinas that have 'individual pontoons' do the same, (up to the length of the pontoon), once your boat is longer than the pontoon, the boat length becomes the deciding factor, it is only the 'alongside' (bank or pontoons) that charge by the boat length.

30 foot boat, 45 foot pontoon which length did we have to pay ?

The boat next to us was 57 foot on a 45 foot pontoon - which length did they have to pay ?

IMG_20130912_101847.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have found that all marinas that have 'individual pontoons' do the same,

Ah fair enough, this was the first marina I've been in with individual pontoons so wasn't aware it was a more general thing. However they had been charging by the foot for 10 years before changing their policy to charging by pontoon length....in retrospect I imagine this was to compete with the other local marinas which all have linear style pontoons. 

• Greenie 1

On 27/05/2022 at 08:54, Mike Todd said:

and you would need to show that they are vastly different from most other marinas in the country . . .

I don't think that's right. You just have to get a court to agree a term is 'unfair'.  If the court agrees then that ruling would apply to any marina using a substantially similar clause.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have found that all marinas that have 'individual pontoons' do the same, (up to the length of the pontoon), once your boat is longer than the pontoon, the boat length becomes the deciding factor, it is only the 'alongside' (bank or pontoons) that charge by the boat length.

I have never had that but have only moored in 2 marinas with a single length pontoon.

22 hours ago, MtB said:

I've never encountered this 'no brick burning' thing ever in all my house trading. Puzzling as bricks don't burn. Do they mean brick-making perhaps? 

They were perhaps thinking of my sister-in-law's bread making when they included that clause .. 😅🤣

• 1 month later...

I walked past the marina just this morning and had a good look at it with.  A number of "imperfactions" wre noted by either SWMBO and me.

1. Where the finger pontoons are too short for the intended boat length there is a flood pole.  On the flood pole is a vertical bar for you to put your rope around.  The intention is that as the river level changes the rope slides up or down the bar.  It seems to me that even a single loop of rope would have a tendency to stick, especially under tension.  So much better to have installed a galvanised ring on the bar. That would be better at sliding up and down.
  2. The bars in question are not welded to the flood poles but clamped to them with dirty great clamps.  Loads of right angles to punch holes through things when manoeuvring in high winds and ledges to get your counter stuck under when you are away form the boat and the flood waters are rising.
  3. Not a safety ladder in sight.  If you fall in you have little chance to climb out unless you can duck under the connecting walkway and scramble up the bank.

I really would not like to moor there even if it was extra cheap.  There were a few boats moored, including a rather down-at-heal liveaboard(?) quite close to our viewing position.  His sternline was tied to the bar on the flood pole with a round turn, possibly a clove hitch.  Expect a sinking if we get some heavy rain.

Nick

Edited by Theo