The grand opening of a new canal boat marina is set to take place this week.

Featured Posts

Canal boat marina set to open in Stratford-upon-Avon - BBC News

The 250-berth Shakespeare Marina in Stratford-upon-Avon is to be opened by actor Timothy West CBE.

The developer, GeoMac Ltd, said the new marina on the River Avon would allow people to moor their boats in the popular tourist destination.

On Friday, Mr West, a patron of the Avon Navigation Trust, will travel to the site by boat where he will cut a ribbon under its towpath bridge.

Shakespeare Marina

I would be quite interested in mooring  there for a year, but it is eye watering expensive, plus you have the additional costs of both ANT and CRT licences.  I was very surprised to see that it is totally set out for narrowboats and not cruisers.

• Greenie 1

Oh dear, it sounds as if Pru's altzheimer's condition is getting the better of her and she's been pensioned off - a pity, but then she is 90 next month. Tim is her little toy boy, two or three years younger.,

54 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I would be quite interested in mooring  there for a year, but it is eye watering expensive, plus you have the additional costs of both ANT and CRT licences.  I was very surprised to see that it is totally set out for narrowboats and not cruisers.

Yes - I'm interested to see how this works out as a base for 250 narrowboats.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am sure there will be enough £250K boats to fill it, you only need a CRT licence if you go cruising

Exactly.  It's a cheap* holiday cottage in a lovely town.

* cheap for there I mean, not cheap by Yorkshire standards ...

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

I was very surprised to see that it is totally set out for narrowboats and not cruisers.

The 35ft minimum length charge will discourage cruisers.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

plus you have the additional costs of both ANT and CRT licences.

Do you need an ANT licence if you never take your boat out of the marina?

21 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The 35ft minimum length charge will discourage cruisers.

Do you need an ANT licence if you never take your boat out of the marina?

Yes you need a ANT licence even if you never leave the marina, from the marina web site

An Avon Navigation Trust license must be displayed when using any part of the waters of the River Avon, including marinas, such as Shakespeare Marina, basins and backwaters.”

No noisy eberspachers!

And, they want a deposit (fair enough) but also expect you to start paying for your mooring before the marina even opens or you loose that deposit.

3 months notice to leave and no refunds of mooring fees

If they kick you out, again they'll keep your pre-paid mooring fees.

They obviously expect to be busy. Is there a shortage of marina moorings in the area?

Edited by Slow and Steady
  • Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

If it's part of the contract signed what's to challenge? Perhaps a case of buyer beware.

Contract terms which are deemed to be unfair are not enforceable. But it would take a court action to establish that in a particular case.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Contract terms which are deemed to be unfair are not enforceable. But it would take a court action to establish that in a particular case.

and you would need to show that they are vastly different from most other marinas in the country . . .

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

and you would need to show that they are vastly different from most other marinas in the country . . .

And also I suspect, that the clause was buried in reams of impenetrable T&Cs, and not drawn specifically to the attention of the boater when they were signing up to it. 

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is why house buyers go to the trouble of having a Solicitor read the small print for them.

When we bought our house in Cheshire there was a (still enforcable) old covenant that stated we couldn't keep pigs or bake bricks within the cutilage of the property.

That must be annoying.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is why house buyers go to the trouble of having a Solicitor read the small print for them.

When we bought our house in Cheshire there was a (still enforcable) old covenant that stated we couldn't keep pigs or bake bricks within the cutilage of the property.

True but a marina will say take it or leave it.

For what it's worth they won't refund unused elec either!

Here in Rufford they refund mooring fees and elec in all circumstances and you don't need to give them any advance warning - I could go to the office right now, say I'm leaving, take the units off the meter onto my card and they'd refund that and mooring fees up to the exact day! They'd even be perfectly nice about it.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

True but a marina will say take it or leave it.

You have the same option when buying a house with covenants.

13 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

That must be annoying.

It was - we had a Vietmanese Pot Bellied Pig we had 'rescued' from a house in Liverpool, (it used to live under the kitchen table and was a bit 'porky')

16 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

No noisy eberspachers!

And, they want a deposit (fair enough) but also expect you to start paying for your mooring before the marina even opens or you loose that deposit.

3 months notice to leave and no refunds of mooring fees

If they kick you out, again they'll keep your pre-paid mooring fees.

They obviously expect to be busy. Is there a shortage of marina moorings in the area?

Very similar clauses to what we had at Burton Waters on our mooring contract.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My dad couldn't have a fair ground

• Haha 1