Where have all the Ducklings & Goslings gone ?

Featured Posts

Tony-Cooper-wildlife-pic.jpg

The unbelievable moment a seagull got its beak round a duckling on a river in Lincoln has been captured by a local wildlife photographer.

The picture was taken by Tony Cooper, 66, who is retired from his day job and has spent about 12 years photographing wildlife as a hobby, using a 400mm lens on a full frame camera.

He saw it take place at Hartsholme Park, with the seagull grabbing the duckling by the head and forcing it down its throat. Tony shared the footage on social media, garnering a mixed reaction and prompting a debate

Some say it is just an act of nature captured on camera, while others have said it is too much and should not have been shared, but Tony argues there’s more to wildlife than the nice shots.

He told The Lincolnite: “From a photographic perspective it makes for a dramatic story and shows people the other side of nature, which is not all about bunnies and butterflies.

“I get out doing wildlife most days and see this side to nature a lot, but don’t always get a shot so it makes a change to be able to put this side over in spite of mixed reactions.

“Wildlife programmes show a lot worse than this so I’m a bit surprised by some of the reactions I get.”

Lincolnshire photographer captures nature in action with shocking seagull snap (thelincolnite.co.uk)

• Greenie 1

Some years ago my wife and I were in Dawlish, South Devon, in the gardens by the sea. classic municipal gardens with a small river flowing into the sea. A duck and seven or eight ducklings swam by looking for titbits. Next thing a seagull swooped down and had one of the ducklings. It sat on piling in the river and ate it. He/she then went back for seconds, and thirds, and fourths, and fifths. I think by now you can picture the scene. By the time it finished there was just a sole duck and a seagull with blood pouring out of it's mouth. Passers by were shouting and throwing stones and anything else they could find at this totally unconcerned seagull. The mother duck didn't seem too concerned either.   

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

As far as nought, surely?

Can you prove that?  As humans we assume that the wildlife wants to procreate, is that true? Does a duck desire 2 or 3 drakes attention? Does it want to have to sit on eggs and then try to defend the brood from all comers?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Gulls have few friends. Had it been an otter guzzling the duckling, it would more likely have been received as part of the circle of nature.

But a filthy gull? What can't they be content with stealing people's chips on the seafront at Scarborough? At least chips don't scream.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some say it is just an act of nature captured on camera, while others have said it is too much and should not have been shared, but Tony argues there’s more to wildlife than the nice shots.

He told The Lincolnite: “From a photographic perspective it makes for a dramatic story and shows people the other side of nature, which is not all about bunnies and butterflies.

“I get out doing wildlife most days and see this side to nature a lot, but don’t always get a shot so it makes a change to be able to put this side over in spite of mixed reactions.

“Wildlife programmes show a lot worse than this so I’m a bit surprised by some of the reactions I get.”

Another example of "animal lovers" who can't cope with the often brutal nature of the natural world. 

I remember when I was moored at Brentford, a moorer took the pole off his roof to try to separate two swans which were mating. The cob had the pen by the neck and by human standards was effectively raping it. But that's what they do, it's another example of the brutality of the natural world. Anthropomorphising wild animal behaviour to suit our modern first world human standards is ridiculous, but apparently some people can't help thinking that way. 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 4

And what about the poor fish?

Last Friday a Cormorant caught an eel in front of us and spent several minutes manoeuvring it to a position it could swallow it.

Then most days this week we've been followed by a tern who hovers over the stern before a high speed dive to catch a fish. Fantastic sight as it folds its wings at the last moment. 

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, pearley said:

[...] Then most days this week we've been followed by a tern who hovers over the stern before a high speed dive to catch a fish. Fantastic sight as it folds its wings at the last moment. 

I'd much rather watch a stern tern turn than a bow crow bow. 😉

Edited by Puffling
proper quote edit
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On our first canal holiday, on the Grand Union in 1976, we met a heron, standing on the bank stock- still with its beak pointing skywards. As we passed, it took off landwards, flew across the canal ahead of us at right angles, and then took up the same stationary stance further ahead. This was repeated, and on the third or fourth time, it plunged down in front of us and caught a large fish.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Greenie 1