towing a boat

davathehut

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, davathehut said:

if we tow a boat with a non running outboard can it still steer with the broken outboard 

Simple answer: no.   

The outboard doesn't work like a rudder, when it is working it and you use it to steer you are changing the direction the propeller is pushing the boat, with the propeller not working that won't happen, and the outboard will have minimal effect on the direction of travel. The greatest effect the non working outboard will have is to slow the boat down, tip it up or lift it right off if possible. 

Use a large paddle or oar over the stern to steer, and accept it is unlikely to be easy.

4 hours ago, davathehut said:

would anybody be willing to tie our  boat up and tow it for us from barbridge marine to golden nook farm ? 

many thanks

If I was in the area I'd do it. With your boat well fendered, an oar or paddle strapped to the outboard and someone steering the towed boat I reckon it could be done slowly without a problem. I'm all for being cautious but some here are overstating the issues as though they're insurmountable. 

5 hours ago, davathehut said:

would anybody be willing to tie our  boat up and tow it for us from barbridge marine to golden nook farm ? 

many thanks

The number of members of the forum who will 1)see your post 2)be in a position to help you, is likely to be very small. In my experience boat people are friendly and helpful, I'd ask around at Banbridge and Golden Nook, I think that's the most likely way to get some one to help.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, davathehut said:

many thanks

Might be worth asking on a Facebook group, there might be a professional willing to donate their time (or possibly amateurs that might be willing but be careful!)

Edited by Ewan123