BSS Requirements.

nb stumpy

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When you complain the answers you get seems to be "we will investigate to see if the examiner needs to have more training" on asking if I will hear any more about their findings : "no, anything that happens will be confidential between the examiner and the BSS"

That sounds fair enough to me provided they also reversed the fail and issued the BSS ticket, which you don't mention.

Did they?

Or are you saying you were left hanging with no BSS ticket and no feedback? How did your fail ticket get resolved?

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've tried to use that a 'time or two'.

First time was when the boat 'failed' the BSS for not having an RCD when it is just an advisory.

Extract from the BSS (Section 3:5:1)

Advice for owners – it is strongly advised that a Residual Current Device (RCD) is installed to provide appropriate electric shock protection on a.c. systems

When you complain the answers you get seems to be "we will investigate to see if the examiner needs to have more training" on asking if I will hear any more about their findings : "no, anything that happens will be confidential between the examiner and the BSS"

In other words, "don't bother bringing anything to our attention, we will do nothing about it, now go away"

Maybe others had had more success ?

But did you get your BSS without it?

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

That sounds fair enough to me provided they also reversed the fail and issued the BSS ticket, which you don't mention.

Did they?

Or are you saying you were left hanging with no BSS ticket and no feedback? How did your fail ticket get resolved?

No it was not reversed.

I had 'paid up front' so when the examiner sai "you've paid me so I can either issue a fail and you'll have to get it done again (more cost) or you can fit an RCD, send me a picture of it installed and I'll issue the certificate.

Trip down to toolstation and £3 for a RCD, fitted it and got my certificate.

It was not only the fact that it failed on an advisory, but the 'blackmail' by the examiner that annoyed me.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No it was not reversed.

I had 'paid up front' so when the examiner sai "you've paid me so I can either issue a fail and you'll have to get it done again (more cost) or you can fit an RCD, send me a picture of it installed and I'll issue the certificate.

It was not only the fact that it failed on an advisory, but the 'blackmail' by the examiner that annoyed me.

We hear this sort of thing on here quite often, but no one ever says who their examiner was. Why not? Fear of being sued for libel? You cannot be guilty of libel if your point is true, and it seems pretty clear cut that it is not a BSS fail item to not have an RCD.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hmmmm that would annoy me too, and you were lucky there was space in the CU for an RCD

Also off at a tangent, I'm surprised how cheap RCDs are but the cheapest one on Screwfix is £12 now, not £3!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-fortress-80a-30ma-dp-type-ac-rcd/86998

13 minutes ago, MtB said:

Hmmmm that would annoy me too, and you were lucky there was space in the CU for an RCD

Also off at a tangent, I'm surprised how cheap RCDs are but the cheapest one on Screwfix is £12 now, not £3!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-fortress-80a-30ma-dp-type-ac-rcd/86998

It must have been a few years ago.

Alan doesn't seem to have much luck with BSS examiners.

25 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We hear this sort of thing on here quite often, but no one ever says who their examiner was. Why not? Fear of being sued for libel? You cannot be guilty of libel if your point is true, and it seems pretty clear cut that it is not a BSS fail item to not have an RCD.

I'd have no problem in naming, but I sold the boat - I tend to only keep them a year (or two at most) and all the paperwork went with it.

I know he was a 'well known' international surveyor doing purchase surveys and claim surveys for insurance companies on an International basis. I rememeber he was on his way back from a 'big survey' in Belgium when he called in to do my little 30' NB BSS