Bradford Canal, Pricking Locks - formation

Featured Posts

I have always understood the 10 locks on the Bradford Canal to have been a single lock, three 2-rises and one 3-rise, however a look at the circa 1900 OS map suggests not. The single lock (Windhill) was the lowest, and the next ones at Pricking are listed in Bradshaw 1904 (and every other source I've seen) as a two-rise, attached is a saved image from NLS OS Maps clearly showing two separate locks. 

So was Bradshaw incorrect? (it happened occasionally elsewhere) and if so has every subsequent author simply quoted him? 

Pricking Locks Bradford Canal OS 1900.png

It would seem the L&LC, after taking over the canal, did give two separate locks. The attached papers from the 1880s show that there were two single locks - Union and Prickings. However, the third list from the same period does show Prickings as a two-rise. I suspect it dates from the introduction of back pumping. There was just one pump for the two locks as they were so close together, and subsequently they were treated as a two-rise. Steam pumping was introduced c1880. I should have some more details about the pumps, but cannot trace them at the moment.

1885 Bradford locks 603.jpg

Bradford locks 601.jpg

Bradford locks 600.jpg

That IS interesting - presumably treated as a two rise in terms of water management, that is the pump had to deal with the rise and fall of two locks not one, and given the short pound this would mean not only a bigger lift but an increased volume - a "two-rise" pump rather than a two rise lock. 

I should have a few Bradford Canal photos on display on Kennet at Keighley on the 2/3 June, at Leeds for the Waterway Festival on the 25/26 June, and at Shipley on the 16/17 July. The last is to commemorate the closing of the Bradford Canal, which will be 100 years ago on the 15 July.