Fitting a diesel tank dip tube.

Featured Posts

Am trying to fit a diesel tank dip tube. Have cut a 25mm diameter hole in the top of the steel tank as per the destructions. Any clues as to how to get it in place? Am I right in assuming that the rubber seal ends up on the inside of the tank and the washer and nut on the outside? How do I best get this to happen?

Jenny

IMG_20220524_103139.jpg.5bcd2a068c7552066d001628eeeeab82.jpg

I think the washer and rubber seal goes on top and it looks as if you can tilt the crossbar so it will pass through the 25mm hole. However, I can't see how the crossbar is pulled up against the top of the tank. I don't know, but fear, that it is designed for a tank with an inspection hatch so you can get your hand & tools inside. If I am correct I fear there will be  a lot more metalwork to do.

Looks like a variation on a plumbers Essex flange fitting. How big is the thread in relation to the 25mm hole?  The flange at the lower end of the thread seems to be cropped on the sides, thus  leaving two "tabs". If the clearance is big enough, can you angle the assembly so that one of the tabs goes into the tank and then slide across to get the second tab in? That would then allow the rubber washer to either be folded and squeezed though the hole (difficult) or fit the rubber washer externally. 

The rubber washer is external. Seal the thread as well with compound, Loctite 577, or it will leak.  It is designed for no access to the inside of the tank, just fiddle it in.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The rubber washer is external. Seal the thread as well with compound, Loctite 577, or it will leak.  It is designed for no access to the inside of the tank, just fiddle it in.

I assume there must be a nut hidden behind the washer and seal that allows the crossbar to be pulled up onto the tank.

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I assume there must be a nut hidden behind the washer and seal that allows the crossbar to be pulled up onto the tank.

The cross bar is rigidly fastened to the dip pipe and held up by the big nut and washers that are   are visible in the photo.  The dip tube is used to assist the friction of the crossbar and stop the bar rotating while the nut is tightened onto the soft rubber washer.

N

24 minutes ago, BEngo said:

The cross bar is rigidly fastened to the dip pipe and held up by the big nut and washers that are   are visible in the photo.  The dip tube is used to assist the friction of the crossbar and stop the bar rotating while the nut is tightened onto the soft rubber washer.

N

That is how it looks.

41 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thanks.

I fitted an apparently identical tube into my steel fuel tank years ago. I fixed the rubber washer externally.. The crossbar was inserted one wing at a time and pulled up against the tank interior using the body of the assembly. As I recall the crossbar relied upon friction to grip the tank whilst the nut was tightened. Most certainly everything was done from the outside.

You need a hole in the tank big enough to get the central threaded portion plus one of the wings on the bottom through, then move the fitting sideways to get the other wing through. Rubber seal + washer on top, then hold the fitting centrally (so both wings engage with the underside of the tank top) as you tighten the nut to squash the rubber seal. As long as the top surface of tge tank is clean and smooth the rubber washer should seal against it just fine, but some gloop on the thread where it passes through the washers might help that seal.