Barrus Shire hour counter

Featured Posts

The 'clock' on my Barrus Shire 40 has become unreliable - most days there is no display, occasionally the display shows what could be valid readings but equally might not be since they can vary every second. 

It seems possible it's just a faulty display but as I have no idea how the system records hours run I could be totally mistaken.

2 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

The 'clock' on my Barrus Shire 40 has become unreliable - most days there is no display, occasionally the display shows what could be valid readings but equally might not be since they can vary every second. 

It seems possible it's just a faulty display but as I have no idea how the system records hours run I could be totally mistaken.

A common fault on those with an LED or liquid crystal display. I expect you are seeing only some segments working. You could try putting it in a warm place for a while of just ft a new one. f it is the hour counter in a rev counter just fit a separate hour counter.

Mine has never worked properly. Asking around a good while ago it appears to of been almost the norm for the older style display, personally I just gave up worrying about it. 

I'm not sure if the newer style is more reliable or not I would be interested to hear from others on this.

This is the panel I have

th-3317099129.jpg.a4136b7b62fe33694ac0b15440daf455.jpg

Edited by reg

31 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

A common fault on those with an LED or liquid crystal display. I expect you are seeing only some segments working. You could try putting it in a warm place for a while of just ft a new one. f it is the hour counter in a rev counter just fit a separate hour counter.

Most of the time I see no segments working :( We had quite a few warm days in the last fortnight but only saw the display working on a couple of them.

Is the hour counter in the instrument or part of the engine management system? I can estimate the hours run but it's a PITA to have to keep recording them myself.

16 minutes ago, reg said:

That looks familiar but the tacho is working fine, I might just see if I can find a separate counter as Tony suggests.

8 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Is the hour counter in the instrument or part of the engine management system? I can estimate the hours run but it's a PITA to have to keep recording them myself

As far as I know the whole engine is mechanical apart from the stop and instruments so no actual management system. The hour counter is powered and fed by the Taco itself. The pulses that allow it to measure the revs come from the alternator, but they have nothing to do with the hour counter.

I understand a common problem is inside the meter where a ribbon cable is attached to the back of the hour display. You could try dismantling, removing the ribbon, clean the contact area and reattach.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As far as I know the whole engine is mechanical apart from the stop and instruments so no actual management system. The hour counter is powered and fed by the Taco itself. The pulses that allow it to measure the revs come from the alternator, but they have nothing to do with the hour counter.

I understand a common problem is inside the meter where a ribbon cable is attached to the back of the hour display. You could try dismantling, removing the ribbon, clean the contact area and reattach.

Thanks Tony, it could all do with a clean so that might fettle it. 

• Greenie 1

Have a look at these people, they may be able to help:

AK speedo

Had the same problem with my VDO gauge. I got him to send me the lcd screen and having watched his video instructions changed it myself.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

This is a common problem with VDO tachometers that most boats will have. It's caused by the connection of the ribbon cable where it is bonded to the LCD display. Damp around this connection is a major factor. You can sometimes get it working by heating with a hair drier. The hours will still be recorded even when the hours display is playing up so it will display correctly if it decides to work after drying out.

This repair might be applicable.  Repair of Yanmar Tach updated.pdf

If you don't fancy repairing your hours counter you could get one of these. Remotely mount it inside the boat and power it from one of the panel illumination lights.  https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/counters/8966970

Edited by Flyboy

6 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Many thanks to everyone who's taken the time to reply :) 

Let us know if you fix it ok as I have the same problem and might well have a go a doing it if yours works OK.

Thanks